Defense Art Topic!

How to find or create sprites, graphics, sounds and music.

Re: Defense Art Topic!

Postby jimmynewguy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Jagmaster wrote:
untitled.PNG

By modular, I mean having the castle larger and broken into sections, each with it's own "Damage variable". That way the imps or whatever could try to break into a wall or something and you'd have to repair it.

Ohhh, good idea! I'll keep it in my head :)
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Score: 89 Give a positive score

Postby jimmynewguy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:00 am

Update: Knight! Archer! (looks weird in a strip, but the animation looks decent in action actually! Feel like I'm getting the hang of cheesy small people! :)) Edited the imp to not have a shield and the worker 1 pixel so his head wouldn't be a block :lol:
Attachments
archer_attackr.PNG
Pew Pew!
archer_attackr.PNG (603 Bytes) Viewed 2318 times
knight_attackr.PNG
Hiya!
knight_attackr.PNG (506 Bytes) Viewed 2321 times
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Postby SuperSonic » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Dude, that looks nice :wink:
A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.

Want to use your joystick or controller with Game Editor? Check out my controller engine =D
SuperSonic

Score: 72 Give a positive score

Postby jimmynewguy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks! Looks like this sorta now, added the start of a hud, and draw select box. Worked on the coding for future stuff. All that. :)

EDIT: Wow! on a technical note, I think I actually programmed well for once. I had 200 workers on the field at once (which is 250 tiles that are randomly generated for a less boring look) and jumped the selection total up to 100 and moved them with NO LAG! I'm actually impressed with myself for once, not meaning to be boastful. Just excited! :) On a not so light note, this does not include AI so that will cause some slow down I assume
Attachments
untitled2.PNG
It actually works! Go Jimmy!
untitled.PNG
Battle goin down.
Last edited by jimmynewguy on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmynewguy

Postby SuperSonic » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Very interesting. I really want to see a demo soon haha :P

Want to use your joystick or controller with Game Editor? Check out my controller engine =D
SuperSonic

Postby jimmynewguy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:34 pm

haha well I would but I'm having an issue with the ground when exported. It disappears when it exits the view? Weird. I'll keep messing with it :x
jimmynewguy

Postby jimmynewguy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:41 pm

AHA! It was a GE bug. You're not supposed to be allowed to create actors on a create actor event, but it was hidden inside a for loop and GE didn't catch it. Good to know it's not a huge problem :)

EDIT: Here's a demo with the draw select and 200 workers to play with. Please excuse the 1 second delay between loading and when the grass shows. Was a simple fix, and won't be there in the full version. :) Oh, and with such a large group, the workers can go out of the view's limit. (wasd to move the view) But that will be fixed too
Attachments
200 Workers.zip
(798.23 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
jimmynewguy

Postby SuperSonic » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:18 pm

That's awsome. You should make the color change more dramatic when you select a character though :wink:

SuperSonic

Postby jimmynewguy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:32 pm

SuperSonic wrote:That's awsome.
Thanks!
I changed the color change to be more dramatic. Also, the knight and archer can be selected and moved now as well. All their animations are down, too. :) Need to start thinking about music and sound effects now, not sure what to use to make sound effects as sfxr is the only thing I've used and it's overused. Too many indie games jumped on that :?
jimmynewguy

Postby SuperSonic » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:15 am

This site may be helpful(I havn't really looked at it much) :D
http://funplosion.com/free-assets.html

SuperSonic

Postby jimmynewguy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:20 am

Thanks :) I'm still trying to do everything on my own mostly though, so I'll probably just take ideas for music and such from there.
jimmynewguy

Postby jimmynewguy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:54 am

Guess this is practically a devlog now :lol: . I made a blood effect for characters being hurt, also varied speeds based on character type. AI bugs are being worked out, right now the orc and imp chase and attack all 3 types of characters, the archer tries to keep a distance while maintaining an attack, the knight acts like the orc except for while "engaged in combat" and the player tells him to move he will flee instead of fight, and the worker flees from enemies. The biggest problem so far is the animations. So much can go on with the AI it doesn't seem to follow the basic "if I am attacking, I do not move. People stutter step along and face the wrong direction randomly :(. Characters also stay in-bounds of the map. Whew. AI is frustrating and has a lot of code. Guess I should've thought of that.

EDIT: AI works pretty well now! Check out this decent battle :D (there's no grass cause it takes a little longer to load and I tested a lot)
Attachments
battle.PNG
jimmynewguy

Postby SuperSonic » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:21 pm

This looks really fun. I should try to make an RTS sometime :D

SuperSonic

Postby jimmynewguy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:00 am

SuperSonic wrote:This looks really fun

Thanks, but it's pretty broken now. I'm remaking the whole everything since what I did lags too much when a lot of people are on the field. Looping through actors is cpu consuming and I shouldn't have done it that way. If you plan on making an rts, make sure to do the "unit id" way. DST always told me to do this and I never listened until now :lol: basically each unit gets an id number when it's created and all it's variables are stored in a units[][] 2d array. It's much faster to loop through numbers! :D
jimmynewguy

Previous

Return to Game Resources