Object Orientedness

Non-platform specific questions.

Object Orientedness

Postby zygoth » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:42 pm

After spending many hours with my Java All-in-One Desk Reference for Dummies book, I have wondered what Makslane was thinking when he wrote GE. It has some very interesting similarities such as referring to an actor's variables with the dot operator like MyActor.x . Can you also declare a function in an actor's Create actor event and call it with MyActor.MyFunction(); ? Also Inheritance works just like in Java where a child actor can override events(methods) of it's parent. In his Baseactor tutorial he describes what is essentially an Abstract Class i.e. an actor that is never really created but contains behaviors that many different concrete actors inherit.
GE is really an interesting mix of object-oriented and procedural style programming. You can program things either way you want to. This post doesn't really have a purpose, but if makslane would like to respond I would certainly be interested in what he has to say. Did you use concepts from Java when you wrote GE? It really is a pretty amazing program.

EDIT: uh, I just realized this should probably be in the general forum so feel free to move it.

Zygo
Nova: 100% Vertigo/Mazeman: 100%
Visit my website to download them both! http://www.ketonegames.com
zygoth

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Re: Object Orientedness

Postby makslane » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:12 pm

The Game Editor uses a C based script engine, so it can have things like struct (actor.x, actor.y, ...), but not a class.
I´m trying to move the current script engine to the LLVM/clang that will give more speed and new object oriented features to Game Editor.
So, Game Editor have some object oriented concepts (like the event inheritance), but needs a more powerful script engine to be more complete.
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Re: Object Orientedness

Postby zygoth » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:19 pm

I have no experience whatsoever with compilers, but I hope the development goes well. Good luck!
Nova: 100% Vertigo/Mazeman: 100%
Visit my website to download them both! http://www.ketonegames.com
zygoth

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Return to General