iPhone - iPad and Mac OS X Beta announcement

iPhone/iPod/iPad specific questions and discussion

Re: iPhone - iPad and Mac OS X Beta announcement

Postby harrio » Tue May 11, 2010 8:49 pm

thanx,

i already love it.

the game i was making in gamesalad was a 'space invader' clone with a different theme and graphics. but it was a nightmare trying to get the engine to do what i wanted it to do. but when i first opened up ge, lo' and behold what did i see in the help tuts but a space invader clone!

if this tut helps me do in days what i could not do in months on gamesalad, then i'm pretty much sold.

although i just saw in another thread that ge may be in danger of not being excepted in the app store. is this true? please don't break my little heart.

oh, and by the way, does anyone have any idea about the problem i'm having in my first post?
harrio

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby uan » Tue May 11, 2010 9:04 pm

harrio wrote:but before i can get to porting my game, i wanted to get the geplayer up and running. when i try to build it in xcode, i get one error: code sign error - iphone dev identity for akr does not match any certs or keys. i have all the up to date profiles and provisions for myself and i've changed the bundle id but i can't get it to build.

I had what might have been the same issue you are. First I had to reload my apple dev certificate, and my (custom) provision profile by dragging them onto the xcode app icon.(assuming you've already created them on the apple developer site)

you can find some info on this if you're not already familiar with requesting/downloading/installing certificates and provisioning profiles, etc.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/libra ... 59-CH4-SW1

After I reinstalled my cert and profile I was able to select my developer ID in the PROJECT SETTINGS and the TARGET SETTINGS(thus not being that of Andreas any longer).

************************************************************************************
I'm now doing(some cool) tests on the iPhone now with GE PLayer, however, does anyone know what the key inputs are for the iPhone inputs(clicks, drags, pinches, etc)?
************************************************************************************
EDIT: Anyone have any insight as to how to get input into GE on the iPhone? Single click/tap, multi-tap input, etc? Is it a mouse click, or a key down, or some other event? I would appreciate help if anyone here has any insight. Thanks
uan

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby uan » Wed May 12, 2010 3:03 am

ok so I found out that Left Mouse click is a "single finger tap" on the iphone, does anyone know how to execute a 2 finger click(multitouch)? And does anyone know how or if you can do a pinch/zoom finger action as an input in the GE on iphone?
uan

Postby krenisis » Wed May 12, 2010 5:10 am

Ok as far as multitouch any 2 or more points on the screen that you have a mouse down event can be pressed at the same time. Meaning if you have a mario game you can press the forward and jump button at the same time. I made a mario game in the game demo section with onscreen buttons you can check that out to see what I mean. Also I made Metal Slug turbo too with onscreen buttons . Go check those out and let me know if you have any questions.Peace
Tutorial Database for all beginners click this link
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8680
krenisis

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby uan » Wed May 12, 2010 5:18 am

I enjoyed testing both of your games, check them out a while ago, great work!. I'm wondering specifically about the multitouch features of the iPhone. meaning, using 2 fingers instead of 1 to create a different unique click/trigger than that of the standard left-click(a pseudo right-click or something perhaps). As the iPhone can easily handle multitouch for triggering a different event in other iPhone dev environments.

Hope that makes sense.
uan

Postby akr » Wed May 12, 2010 6:08 am

Krenesis made the point. Dont expect from GE iPhone to support all Apple specific touch gimmics.
Think more of a mouse-driven environment. Thus we support

-Multitouch, like jump + left in a game like Mario
-Dragging
-Left click. Obviously no right click

All the above in portrait and landscape mode. Pls note that landscape mode will be chosen by the engine
when width > height.

Andreas
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Postby uan » Wed May 12, 2010 6:11 am

thanks for the info, I'm getting some good frame rates with some recent tests, though my sprite count is still a bit low IMO, really enjoying GE though, great work Andreas and Maks!
uan

Postby ctceismc » Thu May 13, 2010 2:48 pm

I sent a PM for participation in the Beta program. Do you generate a source file that then gets compiled into a native app?
ctceismc

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby harrio » Thu May 13, 2010 3:16 pm

hello all,

as far as memory management is concerned, what is the best way of implementing 'levels' or 'scenes'? activation regions, separate game .dat or something else?

thnx,
harrio

Postby Hblade » Thu May 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Well, multi .dat files would make it allot easier, but to save as much memory, activation regions are what ya need. Doing both will make your life MUCh easier :o
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby Santo974 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Hello. I'm a french student in software developpment.
I'm interresting about making iphone app (games), i don't have a mac so there's no real way for me now.
I'd like to test your iphone engine.
Could you send me the SDK please ?
Thank U !

mail: florent.maillot@gmail.com

Windows XP
Iphone 3G. 3.1.2 Os
Santo974

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby harrio » Thu May 13, 2010 11:18 pm

thanks for the answer hblade,

so if i understand what i've read so far correctly, i can have all my levels mapped out in the editor, side-by-side, with regions separating them, and then just move my player character to each one as the games rules dictate, and only that active region will be drawing memory resources? also, i assume global variables can be maintained across regions/levels? i know that sounds stupid, but i just want to be sure. i've been bitten by assuming certain engines could do certain simple things only to find that they could not.

as a test/familiarity project, i want to see how fast i can port my gamesalad game over to ge. so i'm working out the implementation ahead of time.

also, i hate to ask such a negative question with what looks like so much promise in ge, but will there be any solid clarification on wether we can submit apps made with it to the itunes store? and does the impending ge2 have any bearing on all of that?

ok, enough hounding you with questions. back to coding...lol.

thanks for what looks to be a great, user-friendly, cross-platform (unbelievably) engine.
harrio

Postby Hblade » Fri May 14, 2010 3:00 am

As for the Activation regions, yes, and for the global variables, yes.

Steve made it hard to port to the Iphone from what I heard.
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby akr » Fri May 14, 2010 5:54 am

harrio wrote:
also, i hate to ask such a negative question with what looks like so much promise in ge, but will there be any solid clarification on wether we can submit apps made with it to the itunes store? and does the impending ge2 have any bearing on all of that?

ok, enough hounding you with questions. back to coding...lol.

thanks for what looks to be a great, user-friendly, cross-platform (unbelievably) engine.

Appstore submission will be available for GE customers soon. You can use you standard ge datafile. Take care for the following:

-Export via dat file (like geplayer expects)
-Set screen size according to your target device
-Dont expect anything from keyboard. Use on-screen controls or accelerometer/joystick instead
-Mac is required to build and send to appstore (We are also thinking about a service for build/submit so Windows users could make a iphone app)

See "Vamp Halloween Crisis Lite" on the main game-editor page or search for it in appstore!

Andreas
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Postby marcwakefield » Fri May 14, 2010 7:14 am

Sounds great! Especially the build submit service bit for non Mac owners.
What kind of Mac would I need to submit apps by the way?

I may want to buy the commercial version of game editor along with a Mac but I am a self employed web designer so I need to be sure I will get ROI. Could I do it on an old G4 or do I need to buy a mac mini?

Thanks for all your assistance so far Andreas.

Cheers,

Marc Wakefield
www.mrmdesign.com
marcwakefield

PreviousNext

Return to iOS