problems with walls.

Non-platform specific questions.

Postby d-soldier » Sun May 13, 2007 10:19 pm

Okay, so I made some graphics myselfwith your file names and put them in the data directory. You have many problems within the game. You have three seperate wall actors (2clones under everything else, for no apparent reason). I adjusted all the physical response settings, and you are right, nothing seemed to fix the problem... My next step was to remove your wall object completely, and add new objetcs and see if the player would repsond to them, which it did... So apparently, it has something to do with how you went about tile'ing your wall object, not sure what though... I made a new object with a 20x20 blue square as an sprite, tiled it like a maze & added a physical response for the player, and it works fine...
So remove all three of your wall actors, and start a new one from scratch. Dont click and drag when tile-cloning, place each one next to the previous, and try it that way.
d-soldier

Score: 61 Give a positive score

Postby dimster » Mon May 14, 2007 2:14 pm

kk, i think ill restart the whole thing anyway, thnx for your help
dimster

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby dimster » Mon May 14, 2007 3:46 pm

ok, done it now, the walls work fine. i have managed to put a "WELL DONE" text when the player reaches the end, next up i need to figure out how to do different levels. (if worst comes to worst ill make a bunch of games in different .zip files and password them [then give password at end of each level])
Attachments
my first maze game.zip
(23.77 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
dimster

nope

Postby d-soldier » Mon May 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Better way to do it would be to have it when your player reaches the end, he collides with a filled region (invisisible) and gets moved to the next on.
So make another maze a few grids over in GE. Run your mouse cursor over where you want him to start, and write down those coordinates (theyre displayed on the GE button bar. Add the filled region at the end of the first maze. Click on your player, and add a collision event with the filled region, and then "move to" response. In the MoveTo box plug in the cooridnates your wrote down, be sure its set to "relative to game center", and set the veloity to 5000. Add another collision event (still on the player) for colliding with the filledregion, and in the response click on MoveTo (again) but this time instead of using the EVENT ACTOR, select the VIEW. Change the coordinates, relative to game center, velocity to 5000. THat should do it, you will need to play with these coordinates, as you wont want the view to move to the same place as the player, but you'll figure it out with some trial and error. Hope this helped.

** BE SURE to check "REPEAT WHILE COLLIDING" box for Both
d-soldier

Score: 61 Give a positive score

Postby dimster » Mon May 14, 2007 6:05 pm

ok i have a feeling i know what your on about there, i stumbled across something like that when i was playing with the collisions, thnx for the advice.
dimster

Re: nope

Postby Sgt. Sparky » Thu May 17, 2007 2:09 pm

d-soldier wrote:Better way to do it would be to have it when your player reaches the end, he collides with a filled region (invisisible) and gets moved to the next on.
So make another maze a few grids over in GE. Run your mouse cursor over where you want him to start, and write down those coordinates (theyre displayed on the GE button bar. Add the filled region at the end of the first maze. Click on your player, and add a collision event with the filled region, and then "move to" response. In the MoveTo box plug in the cooridnates your wrote down, be sure its set to "relative to game center", and set the veloity to 5000. Add another collision event (still on the player) for colliding with the filledregion, and in the response click on MoveTo (again) but this time instead of using the EVENT ACTOR, select the VIEW. Change the coordinates, relative to game center, velocity to 5000. THat should do it, you will need to play with these coordinates, as you wont want the view to move to the same place as the player, but you'll figure it out with some trial and error. Hope this helped.

** BE SURE to check "REPEAT WHILE COLLIDING" box for Both

it is easier to just load the next level that will be exported as a .dat(data file). :D
(LoadGame("your_next_level_name"); )
your method is good,
but the only problem is having alot of levels,
it can make the game run slow.
(sometimes even when the recieve events if out of vision is disabled.)
but overall,
it is still a good method. :)
Random Links:
viewtopic.php?p=19474#19474
Right now (10/14/2009) I'm working on some C++ projects, but I might be able to help if you have some Game Editor questions. :)
Sgt. Sparky

Score: 236 Give a positive score

Postby dimster » Thu May 17, 2007 2:28 pm

kk sarg, i think ill try that out on my next game, cos im on my 6th level out of 10 on this game im making.oh and i just put the .exe file on my memory stick and showed my friends, they love it lol
dimster

Re: nope

Postby Kodo » Thu May 17, 2007 3:04 pm

Sgt. Sparky wrote:it is easier to just load the next level that will be exported as a .dat(data file). :D
(LoadGame("your_next_level_name"); )
your method is good,
but the only problem is having alot of levels,
it can make the game run slow.
(sometimes even when the recieve events if out of vision is disabled.)
but overall,
it is still a good method. :)

The problem with that is you might have 10 Ged files and to make one code change means you have to manually make that change in all 10 Ged files! I used this approach in my last game and found fixing bugs a bit of a nightmare for exactly this reason, I had three separate Geds (one for each chapter of the game) with 10 levels in each and because of this I had to fix every bug three times! Hence my post on External Global Code:

http://game-editor.com/forum/tp-3490-Ex ... -Code.html

;)
Inogames: http://www.inogames.com iOS gaming
Firetop Adventure (app store): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firetop- ... ?mt=8&ls=1
Kodo

Score: 23 Give a positive score

Postby dimster » Thu May 17, 2007 3:05 pm

ahhhhh wtf???? it wont load my game anymore??? its just deleted it from my comp. omg i have to start over... dam
dimster

Previous

Return to General