geProtocol2 | Source Released

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Re: geProtocol2 | Release Date: TBA

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:13 pm

420foxbot wrote:
knucklecrunchgames wrote:I have three questions.

Will this be hard to use?

Can you host a dedicated server or would you need the computer running.

Can you make an MMO, if so, that would be awesome!

Thanks.

1) On my side of things, no. For the client, you need an internet connection and a functioning hand to start the application. On the server-side, things are slightly more complicated, as you will need to know how to port-forward, as well as leave an application running in the background.

2) Assuming you own a powerful enough dedicated server, sure, run it on a dedicated server all you want. Regarding system requirements, I'll be optimizing the server as much as possible by release. Here's a bit of insight into it's performance:
On a connection-less server, I was averaging 90tps with a 40% cpu load, out of the optimal 100tps. (Keep in mind, only 64tps is required for a lag-free client, as the clients communicate around 64tps).

3) Again, on the server-side of things, I would tentatively say no. There is no reason why this is not possible with geP alone, however we are using a rather extreme and esoteric method of communicating between game<->client, which can be a heavy limitation in the regards of speed with a large number of clients. The reccomended max-clients is going to be around 4 at the time of this writing, although I have done no benchmarking yet.

EDIT: My answer to #2 is invalid. I had forgotten about soft-caps I had implemented to prevent overutilizing the processor. With no soft-caps, I am managing around 32846049 processing ticks per second. (which is how often the server will handle requests from the client and serve requests back to other clients)

Thanks for answering those questions. I don't really understand some of them but I get the gist. 90tps is pretty good if 64 is all that is needed.
knucklecrunchgames

Score: 17 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:39 pm

Even I don't understand some buddy.
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:43 pm

bat78 wrote:Even I don't understand some buddy.

What? Now that I don't believe.
knucklecrunchgames

Score: 17 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Well C# and networking terms are not by my specialty.
And he uses them quite a lot.
bat78

Postby 420foxbot » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:07 am

I'll be posting an in-depth analysis (annotated) about how geProtocol works on release date. It will probably be on the github repo, idk though.
420foxbot

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:12 am

420foxbot wrote:I'll be posting an in-depth analysis (annotated) about how geProtocol works on release date. It will probably be on the github repo, idk though.

RIght, same I will do with OM. Of course. So people will have all they need.
bat78

Postby 420foxbot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:32 am

Late July Status Update

Work on the OM will be beginning soon, as work on it's sister-project (which I can't say anything about) has neared completion. This is exciting, as it means that an initial release of geProtocol is nearing, possibly within the next month.

geProtocol itself will support many new functions for game developers which normally is not possible from within game-editor, an example of that being Text-To-Speech. I've created a thread requesting feedback from the ge community here.

I will be open-sourcing the project to GitHub as we near completion.

And lastly, an image of what the project looks like.
420foxbot

Postby schnellboot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:34 pm

that image looks pretty damn sexy tbh
good work
schnellboot

Score: 102 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:44 pm

schnellboot wrote:that image looks pretty damn sexy tbh
good work

Thank you.
bat78

Re: geProtocol2 | Source Released

Postby 420foxbot » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:09 pm

The program has been released to it's fullest extent as of now. You may do with it as you wish.
420foxbot

Postby 420foxbot » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:53 am

Over the course of the past (8? can I count?) months, my knowledge of C#, and networking in general, has more than doubled in size. I have found some new hope in regards to re-building geProtocol, and extending it around the idea of a module-based extension system for Game-Editor.

Unfortunately, it looks like there is only a very small handful of people left who are dedicating time to development within GE.

I am 100% open to redevelop this project (on my end), however, another experienced GE dev will need to be writing the module for within GE.

If anyone is interested, please let me know by replying or contacting me in our Discord.
420foxbot

Postby lcl » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:39 am

420foxbot wrote:Over the course of the past (8? can I count?) months, my knowledge of C#, and networking in general, has more than doubled in size. I have found some new hope in regards to re-building geProtocol, and extending it around the idea of a module-based extension system for Game-Editor.

Unfortunately, it looks like there is only a very small handful of people left who are dedicating time to development within GE.

I am 100% open to redevelop this project (on my end), however, another experienced GE dev will need to be writing the module for within GE.

If anyone is interested, please let me know by replying or contacting me in our Discord.

Hello.

This sounds like a great opportunity for GE. I'd love to say I'm available for the job, but I fear I'm not. Because I am confident that there is a lot of work that needs to be done in the Game Editor end of this project, right? As I work 8-16 now every business day, and my evenings are pretty much full of social activities, I've got little free time for programming in general. And as we all know I still have my biggest Game Editor project unfinished.. and I'm concentrating on that whenever I get a chance to program.

Still, I'm interested about this, and it'd be nice to know a little more about what functionality the module should provide, what you've got planned for it. Also, I think finishing this would be very important for my project as well. Have you been in any contact with Ale lately? Is he out of the question as the co-developer for this? Is he not interested in the job at all?

I wish someone capable of it would seize your offer.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby Augustine12 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:45 am

So we have a game editor update being pushed out, and a networking feature soon out on the side as well? It's like a dream come true

Casesam Samsung S7 cover
galaxy j5 case casesam
Augustine12

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Previous

Return to GE - General