Which is more processor intensive?

Non-platform specific questions.

Which is more processor intensive?

Postby BeyondtheTech » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:11 am

I noticed that playing a looped OGG file can severely cut my game's performance on the Pocket PC from the near 30fps to as low as 15fps! (Ouch!) I don't know if it's a default or forced setting, since I've never used OGG files before I started with Game Editor, but do they always have to be 44KHz? Does that make a performance difference, compared to a song rendered in 11KHz or 22KHz?

How about MOD, S3M, or XM files versus OGG files? Which takes more processing cycles/CPU time to decode and play these file types? Of course, I'm not looking for benchmark numbers, just a rough calculation or comparison of the different file types.

Bottom line is that I really would want to get a good soundtrack behind my game, but I'm afraid it may really impact it negatively in its performance.
BeyondtheTech

Score: 4 Give a positive score

Postby willg101 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:23 am

I belive XM's and MOD's are easy on the processor.
http://www.wish-games.com
Old betas now available!!
willg101

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Postby Kodo » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:21 pm

They generally take up just a fraction of the memory of the much larger wav and OGG data as well, so you should be able to vary the number of different sound tracks in your game :)
Kodo

Score: 23 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:46 pm

MOD, XM and IT files are more fast to process than ogg files.
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby ondy1985 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:20 pm

But xm, s3m and mod sounds are significantly worse to listen to than ogg... Quite a dilemma...

Motto: "I never let my schooling interfere with my education" --- Mark Twain
ondy1985

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby Kodo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:44 pm

Agreed! I've also found that Royalty Free MOD, XM and IT music is hard to come by. I’ve even thought about getting a tracker and doing some music myself, but tbh I’m not musically minded so it'd turn out rubbish, I'd be better off letting my 3 year old son do it ;)

If anyone can recommended any sites for Royalty Free MOD/XM/IT tracks id be most grateful :)
Kodo

Score: 23 Give a positive score

Return to General