Audio support

Non-platform specific questions.

Audio support

Postby zygoth » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 pm

Why does GE not support compressed audio formats like .ogg, etc. for sound effects? I am trying to make my game as small as possible but big .wav files take up tons of space for sound effects. Is there any way to use .ogg for the PlaySound function, or some workaround? I tried converting to .aif but it wasn't any smaller.
Nova: 100% Vertigo/Mazeman: 100%
Visit my website to download them both! http://www.ketonegames.com
zygoth

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Re: Audio support

Postby makslane » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:46 pm

Decode a .ogg file is slow and is not suitable for sound effects.
More, to play a sound effect, the whole file goes to the memory.
For musics, thats are bigger than sound effects, only the small parts are put in the memory and played at time.
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby zygoth » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:31 am

I guess that makes sense... I will just have to trim the sound effects as much as possible then. But...if loading during the game is the only problem, couldn't the editor just convert the sounds at the start of each game to an uncompressed format? Maybe you could look into that in future versions. hmm...Is there any good way to make the .dat files smaller, like a certain type of compression? Due to bad planning on my part, my finished game is going to be about 70 Mb, which is bad. Can you give me any advice?
Nova: 100% Vertigo/Mazeman: 100%
Visit my website to download them both! http://www.ketonegames.com
zygoth

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Postby pyrometal » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:25 am

Here is my advice, for your graphics use GIFs or PNGs, and for music, there exist smaller file types than OGG out there! You should consider modules such as .IT and .XM (which are better than midis, and I haven't seen any of those exceed 50kb before) There's also more I must tell you, but I'll send a PM to you instead of revealing spoilers! lol
SPRITE WARRIOR:
Free, open-source & crossplatform pixel art editor (currently under construction).
pyrometal

Score: 86 Give a positive score

Return to General