activation regions help

Non-platform specific questions.

activation regions help

Postby hunter9270 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:49 pm

i just started working on GE, made a small easy to make game as a test...then i realized that no game is fun without multiple levels! ive been trying to find out how to make activation regions work for awhile but i cant seem to find out how they work. help plz.
hunter9270

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: activation regions help

Postby Kalladdolf » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:54 pm

There's many different ways to make levels, activation regions is just one of them, personally I don't use activation regions.
But as far as I can tell you, everything in an activation region which is within your vision will be active (which means that it will be visible, the events and actions get executed).
The opposite goes for things in another activation region out of vision. Those actors will be paused and not execute their events and actions at all, until you enter the activation (the view actor touches it).
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby hunter9270 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:58 pm

1. what other ways to make a lv are there?
2. i know how they work, i cant get the view actor to colide with the region, i cant find out how to get it to actually move to another activation region.
hunter9270

Postby Kalladdolf » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:06 pm

Ah, I get what you mean.

1. There's, for one thing, the LoadGame() function, which allows you to quit the current game and open another one. This comes in handy when you use different .exe/.dat files for different levels/menues.
And there's always, of course, making the behavior of the different actors depend on level variables. This is a little more complicated though.

2. I'd suggest you look up the "Making the view follow an actor" tutorials. You'll find them by clicking on "Help" -> "Getting started".
You'll find three of them listed there.
And if you'd like to move the view seperately, enter the following code (when the actor ends the level):
Code: Select all
x = 1300;
y = -300;

This is just an example. In this case, the view moves to the x coordinate 1300 and to the y coordinate -300.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby hunter9270 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:12 pm

thanks, i'll try that
hunter9270

Return to General