Milestone - some stats...

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Milestone - some stats...

Postby Thanx » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:44 pm

GE foruming has now reached a major milestone. We've got 25 000 registered users! *great applause* :lol:
But I think now it's time to just look a little at what we've got here! I've calculated some interesting statistics...

We've got 25000 registered users, BUT
did you know that "only" 1374 users have actually made posts? Yes, that's many people, but we must compare to the number of registered users...
We've got about 52 500 posts, BUT
did you know that out of that 29515 posts, that is 56.2% of the total posts, were actually posts of the 25 most active users (out of that 25000...)
and 37286 posts, that is 71.0% of the total posts were actually posts of the 50 most active users (again considering out of 25000)
If we were to consider only those users actual participants/actual former participants of the forums who had at least 20 posts on the forums (trying to exclude those who haven't really added anything to the forum life, of course this isn't quite accurate because some have less than that, and yet are active, and have posts, like lcl, but many with at least 20 may just have had a few question discussed in a few weeks, and then disappeared...)
So let's consider the border at least 20 posts - there are only 231 actual participants/former participants who ever were an the forums...
Average post count for the first 50 most active users: about 746 (745.72 to be exact)
Average post count for users who ever posted at all: about 39 (38.13973799 to be exact)
Average post count for all registered users together (the total): 2 (2.09616 to be exact)

Now some of those stats aren't that bad actually! And I wish I'll once create a community like that! I want a big applause for makslane!!!
But I also want to call for something... I know every community has its deaths and births, but I think we need to do something for GE. Because what other game authoring tool is there out there introducing compatibility to all major OSs??? With wide support for different media formats (talking about image and sound support here...) And what about the high support for so many mobile devices? And we've even proven its capabilities with Winter Blast, Gelman, Tower Defense, just to name a few...
I'm working on a strategy game now, and after that I'll be working on GE as a developer. But I say that we need to market our tool, because we know it's capable! There are many forums, and just mentioning and adding a link is something. I'm not calling for the ugly advertising that they also do a lot on our forums (logging on once, posting 3 nonsense posts with links).
But let's mention it when posting a game, or anything else we make, and make public! And we need to upgrade the download pages' infos, because they're all stuck with ages-old versions of GE! No wonder nobody's catching interest! And if there were most users interested, it would also be easier to find a dev team to help in the creation!
Sorry to sound a bit like a party-wrecker, but if we want GE to be as long lasting as others, then we all need to take the effort now, because it's not the last samurai's duty to refound the samurai order!
And if we want to see better stats, then... what are you doing for it?
GE is approx. 7 years old, which means that with 25 000 users, the forum has grown about 10 users a day! So let's celebrate,
celebrate by doing something for future success! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXexDJBv58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be4__gww1xQ
These are me and playing the piano (second one with a friend/fellow student)
Hope you watch and enjoy!
Thanx

Score: 24 Give a positive score

Re: Milestone - some stats...

Postby makslane » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:34 pm

Thanks Thanx :-)
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby Hblade » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Cool thanks for the calculations :D

And it's true too because yeah we have all of those users but they just dont wanna hang around with us :(
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby MrJolteon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Many of those members register only for downloading ge, that's the reason why they don't wanna stick around
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby Hblade » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:40 pm

Yeah I know but I dont think you have to log in in order to download GE anymore though. But back in the day man wow... One time there was like 30+ users online at once.
Hblade

Postby MrJolteon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:41 pm

yea i was talking about the people that didn't make a post before Ge was open source
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby JayB » Wed May 05, 2010 11:07 pm

I dont really post much, cause I mostly read other people's posts, but I do visit daily. I think a lot of people dont post (like myself) because most times us newbies dont have much to add to conversations, at least thats my case :D
JayB

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby krenisis » Wed May 05, 2010 11:46 pm

I posted here and there like jay said only to add something. I think we starting to see a slight increase with the Hblade tutorials. As I said before if we had a step by step tutorial forum more people will come. Alot of people give up honestly because its tough , even though its made with short-cuts. This tool is very solid and I would recommend it to anyone . Some people who download GE also just downloaded it to play the games themselves. Here is to the future!!
Tutorial Database for all beginners click this link
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8680
krenisis

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby JayB » Thu May 06, 2010 1:49 pm

krenisis wrote:I posted here and there like jay said only to add something. I think we starting to see a slight increase with the Hblade tutorials. As I said before if we had a step by step tutorial forum more people will come. Alot of people give up honestly because its tough , even though its made with short-cuts. This tool is very solid and I would recommend it to anyone . Some people who download GE also just downloaded it to play the games themselves. Here is to the future!!

Yep, tutorials would help. Honestly, I think that even Tutochao's tutorials are a bit confusing for someone that is 100% newbie on game development and C language
JayB

Postby Hblade » Thu May 06, 2010 2:14 pm

I'm sorry :o
Hblade

Postby lcl » Thu May 06, 2010 2:37 pm

JayB wrote:Yep, tutorials would help. Honestly, I think that even Tutochao's tutorials are a bit confusing for someone that is 100% newbie on game development and C language

I've found Tutochao's tutorials very useful and I really think I'm kind of a newbie... :D Those tutorials have made it easy to understand some scripts 'cause of that they've been explained step by step. It's much easier than just look someones script and try to understand it. That's my point of view. :D
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby Hblade » Thu May 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks, lcl ^.^ I'd like to make more when I get the time :D

Do you have anything you'd want to learn? (Hopefully I know it :P)
Hblade

Postby JayB » Sat May 08, 2010 2:24 am

Of course they are useful, jeje dont get me wrong :wink: I understand him perfectly, I just though that someone with absolutely no experience in programming might be confused, thats all. Actually, I have come to understand a lot of concepts better after Tutochaos tutorials. So, good work man, it is very appreciated :D
JayB

Postby Hblade » Sat May 08, 2010 2:55 am

Thank you ^.^ is there anything else you'd want me to make a tutorial of besides the videos I have now? :D
Hblade

Postby JayB » Sat May 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Im still using the ones you made, but if I think if something I'll let u know, thanks
JayB

Next

Return to GE - General