[Forum Project #1] Steam Run Design Document

Subforum dedicated to discussing group projects.

Re: [Forum Project #1] Steam Run Design Document

Postby moonforge » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:12 am

I like the idea of vacuum tubes being used in some electronic weapons, like a shocking/swinging weapon. We can get pretty creative with this stuff. Oh, and since GEuser brought up maps, that gave me an idea. I know that there was a game made here called "Winter Blast", or something like that which had a pretty good map system. We could use something similar to navigate the character in the actual game. The other navigation option that I was thinking of was paying a guy in the subway to take you to different places. The reason I like that idea is because it makes it different, and you have to PAY to go to a place, making every moment worth something.
http://wannowandrichardsgames.weebly.com/

"You don't have to win to be a winner. You just have to pretend to be better than everyone else."

+ 1 please?
moonforge

Score: 8 Give a positive score

Postby kickstart » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 pm

skydereign wrote:
JetpackGrizzly wrote:You could make an animation (sprite) that had many pictures of different views making it look like a 3-D object. That would look really cool considering the object is 3D.

We don't want to use different angles, because everything would then need to have different angles. And the amount of images we have to use explodes. The game will probably still have a 3d feel to it, but we don't want to simulate 3d beyond normal platformer techniques.

No I don't meant to actual made aa 3D game or try to simulate it with a 2D editor, that would be treachorous. I am just simply saying some animations or sprites could have a 3D feel to them when moving.
kickstart

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:00 pm

moonforge wrote:The reason I like that idea is because it makes it different, and you have to PAY to go to a place, making every moment worth something

That's a sensitive subject. While it does make movements more important, at the same time it is limiting exploration. People will be less inclined to explore the world. Perhaps there is a subway system in between connecting underground hubs, and normal path ways. Taking the path ways make you go through a level, so it is much longer. But, you can pay to ride the subway.

JetpackGrizzly wrote:No I don't meant to actual made aa 3D game or try to simulate it with a 2D editor, that would be treachorous. I am just simply saying some animations or sprites could have a 3D feel to them when moving.

Things will definitely have a 3d feel, but mostly because they were made originally in 3d. But as soon as we start adding 3d animations, the 3d or 2d will start feeling more out of place. It's kind of hard to tell now, since we haven't nailed anything down yet.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby GEuser » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:24 am

moonforge wrote:I like the idea of vacuum tubes being used in some electronic weapons, like a shocking/swinging weapon. We can get pretty creative with this stuff. Oh, and since GEuser brought up maps, that gave me an idea. I know that there was a game made here called "Winter Blast", or something like that which had a pretty good map system. We could use something similar to navigate the character in the actual game. The other navigation option that I was thinking of was paying a guy in the subway to take you to different places. The reason I like that idea is because it makes it different, and you have to PAY to go to a place, making every moment worth something.

"...like a shocking/swinging weapon..."

Yeah, was thinking of designing the main electronic components:-

1. Vacuum tube (varrious types, replaces transistors & diodes & photo sensor, communication, generates x-rays, detects infra-red & UV, others)
2. Capacitor (Stores electrical charge & disspates it, ideal for your shock weopens. A simple version has too metal plates with a dielectric material (plastics, glass,mineral oil, some innert gases, ceramic, mica, etc...) sandwiched in, easy to make a 3D model)
3. Resistor (resists electrical flow. Resistors are very common in circuits for all sorts of stuff, like sensors; photo-resistors, pressure (peizo-effect), temperature (thermostat) & other sensors)
4. Inductor (for all sorts stuff, from electrical power generators, frequency generator , all good weopen stuff & powering weapons & installation for various sites).
5. Solenoid (A device punches out a bar/rod using a elecrically generated magnet field (elecro-magnet), in game good for electrically operated locks, triggers in weopens).
6. Various bulbs & other lighing.

I'd eventually provide the 3D models for individual components but idea would be to have ready made (pretend) circuits but peeps would have choice to make their own version from library of 3D models during this design stage (not in the immediate future though). In game I think elecronic ciruits & components should only be available from overlord city raids or enemy drops (robots not human soldiers?). Simple stuff like capacitors coud be made (plate capacitor is only 2 metals sandwiching a dielectric, a simple resistor is just a bit of resistive wire wrapped around ceramic for example. Also to make game unique from real life electronics was thinking of making components cased in glass so you can see the detail inside for some shameless steampunk exhibitionism :lol: since I've only ready experimented with a glass 3D structure with the vacuum tube shown early this should pose no poblem for glassy stuff.

...since GEuser brought up maps...

Oh, those mapping sheets werre suppose to be for brainstorming geographical stuff, ideas of sizes, numbers of cities and various structurres, transport (elevator, tunnels) to get a gist of where everythinng is and any other ideas on world specific stuff but in general terms.

...Subway...
Subway sounds interesting for rare tasks and thinnks (special sub-levels), don't know how far we are on mapping and programme side of it but you cold make suggestions with those mapping sheets (or whatever). Oh, another possibility, the secret rebellion den could be available only from a disused, hidden subway?
GEuser

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Postby GEuser » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:55 am

skydereign wrote:It sounds like we want the setting to be the fall of steam technology. Everyone has more or less been talking in that direction, so perhaps we should formalize it. Namely, the current technology in the cities are all steam based, but big brother has electricity, robots, and cyborgs. I was originally thinking big brother's side would have electricity, but it would still be a new technology. But if cyborgs and robots are very common, then perhaps this is not the case.

I now have a device with a better camera, so I can take some pictures of the sketches I've been working on. Here are a few sketches.

Oooh! those sketches are giving me inspiration. More please... :D

On the eletrcial side was thinking the drops could be circuit modules (housed in glass casing so would look cool) rather then individual components and each would have a particular purpose. So intially electrical stuff cannot be made but perhaps later on, via various rebel esponiage infromation gathering, hero loots blueprints to allow building them. Long these lines electronic components are initially ear-marked as "unkown component" but descriptives get updated when hero completes blueprint mission.
GEuser

Postby GEuser » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:26 am

@ Jagmaster

Love that alchemy drawing program.

How's the progress going on those buildings. Just learn't about CRLT-R for ring sectons on Blender to get rind of those T-junction hole problems. There seems so much to learn on short cuts, getting to discover new stufff on a daily basis. I suppose the best way to get grips with blender is to drop yourself in the deep end and explore & experiment. Did you have any luck on texturing with blender (procedural stuff). Here's a link for blender textures (including procedural ones):-

http://matrep.parastudios.de/
GEuser

Postby GEuser » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:08 am

Heres some renders done in blender (clipped in inkscape) of Capacitors and resistors let me know if you think its worth pursing other electrical components. These would then be used to make up various circuits.

Resistors (3 styles):

Capacitors (3 styles):

GEuser

Postby skydereign » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:35 am

GEuser wrote:Oooh! those sketches are giving me inspiration. More please... :D

Here's a few more. And Jagmaster, I tried changing up the style.
20130309_022800.jpg

GEuser wrote:1. Vacuum tube (varrious types, replaces transistors & diodes & photo sensor, communication, generates x-rays, detects infra-red & UV, others)
2. Capacitor (Stores electrical charge & disspates it, ideal for your shock weopens. A simple version has too metal plates with a dielectric material (plastics, glass,mineral oil, some innert gases, ceramic, mica, etc...) sandwiched in, easy to make a 3D model)
3. Resistor (resists electrical flow. Resistors are very common in circuits for all sorts of stuff, like sensors; photo-resistors, pressure (peizo-effect), temperature (thermostat) & other sensors)
4. Inductor (for all sorts stuff, from electrical power generators, frequency generator , all good weopen stuff & powering weapons & installation for various sites).
5. Solenoid (A device punches out a bar/rod using a elecrically generated magnet field (elecro-magnet), in game good for electrically operated locks, triggers in weopens).
6. Various bulbs & other lighing.

I don't think the actual construction of the weapons and gadgets will be that in depth to actually show the pieces, though they'll have all of the parts for sure. We'll have to see though.
skydereign

Postby sonicforvergame » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:02 pm

@skyderiegn:
i was inspecting the guns and i saw on them with a electric style shotgun
TOW QUESTIONS:
1-is this for the main protagonist or enemies ?
2-should we the resistor Geuser made to make the electric style of the gun?

@Geuser:

Can you give me the most of the 3d files you have? Because i need to use them in some way to make guns and because they look amazing also i have blender so i will be able to use them.
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Score: 10 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:08 pm

sonicforvergame wrote:TOW QUESTIONS:

For the record, I think I'm going to stop reading your ALL CAPPED TEXT.

sonicforvergame wrote:1-is this for the main protagonist or enemies ?

Why should there be a difference? By the looks of it though, I would say primarily the protagonists. I assume the enemies would be a little more futuristic.
sonicforvergame wrote:2-should we the resistor Geuser made to make the electric style of the gun?

This should go without saying. Of course the electric parts would be used for the electric weapons.
skydereign

Postby GEuser » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:43 pm

sonicforvergame wrote:@skyderiegn:
i was inspecting the guns and i saw on them with a electric style shotgun
TOW QUESTIONS:
1-is this for the main protagonist or enemies ?
2-should we the resistor Geuser made to make the electric style of the gun?

@Geuser:

Can you give me the most of the 3d files you have? Because i need to use them in some way to make guns and because they look amazing also i have blender so i will be able to use them.

I don't know how familiar you are with Blender. You will have to do some work on them but I suppose you can break bits off and use them for more designs and all. Here's the links (gE forum) :-

Capacitors
Unoptimised models (includes zipped blender file of ): viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=90522#p90522

Resistors
Unoptimised models (includes zipped blender file of ): viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=90521#p90521

Elevator2 (Parts only)
3D parts can be imported as wavefront .obj formats from FILE MENU in Blender. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=90519#p90519

Don't forget to show us what what you've done. I must admit I did not intend to use a single component on a weopens & stuff but create a host of different circuit board modules. Stuff like electro-magetic ballistics module, X-ray emitter module, electro-magetic trigger module, etc.. that you would atttach to your weapon.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see what you do.
GEuser

Postby Jagmaster » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:03 am

skydereign wrote:Here's a few more. And Jagmaster, I tried changing up the style.

I like these a lot, very interesting!
I like how the canisters were handled, and the overall form is quite good.
Can't find anything to criticize atm.

GEuser wrote:@ Jagmaster

Love that alchemy drawing program.

How's the progress going on those buildings. Just learn't about CRLT-R for ring sectons on Blender to get rind of those T-junction hole problems. There seems so much to learn on short cuts, getting to discover new stufff on a daily basis. I suppose the best way to get grips with blender is to drop yourself in the deep end and explore & experiment. Did you have any luck on texturing with blender (procedural stuff). Here's a link for blender textures (including procedural ones):-

http://matrep.parastudios.de/

Glad you found that helpful!

I know what you mean about shortcuts. I think literally every key on the keyboard has a shortcut assigned to it lol. Thanks for the link, there's a lot of neat materials there. Progress on that particular building is halted until I can figure out a non-photorealistic material workflow. Perhaps this will help.

Or perhaps I'm worrying too much about a non-realisitc material. A lot of what I come up with looks like crap so I haven't bothered posting them. I think I will dig into this workflow a little more and see if I can adapt it and perhaps add a wider color palette. It seems to have outlining handled well, albeit stylized.

I did some very sloppy sketches of buildings. They're sort of above-surface buildings. Sort of a factory theme without much other direction.
Buildings.jpg
Tried to conceptualize some little lookout "cameras". Without film I wonder how useful they'd be without film haha
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby sonicforvergame » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:17 am

i am gonna make out of geusers resistors the electric gun so it will be 2d ready to be used and i am currently working on it
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Postby sonicforvergame » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 am

Okay so i finished the electric shot gun and here is the image for it

resistance.PNG

now if you think there is wrong with it please tell me so i can change it
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Postby kickstart » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:11 pm

How did you use the electrical resistors to make that gun? I do not understand.
kickstart

Score: 6 Give a positive score

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Projects