Total votes : 28

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby JaroodaGames » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:08 am

Let's hope this actually happens.
JaroodaGames

Score: 2 Give a positive score

Postby foleyjo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:21 am

I still think most of those things are not needed for the start of a revival.

(going to sound like a broken record but)
Android, and HTML 5(Or other webbased compiler) are what will breing people back.
Android support will need to have some kind of auto scaling so you don't have to worry about different phones and tablets or TV's.
It would also need support for different controllers so you can create games for devices such as Shield and JXD.

I think it would be good to allow a selection of things to compile. We already know that you can create screensavers by changing the filetype. So add the feature at compile time.
Maybe allow the making of screensavers, animated wallpapers other boot screens on android too.

The other thing to consider after adding these features would be to move the focus away from just being a game editor. Maybe someone would use it to make a little slide show for there website, or someone might make use it to customise there phone with their own background and applauncher.

Then get an impressive site made using game-editors HTML compiler.

Then make some little facebook apps such as those "What character are you" quizzes that are popular and start sending them out to people to make them go viral.
Now the clever bit about the facebook push, make some easy to edit templates for people to make there own versions of the quizzes and games. Yet in each one there will be an advert for Game-Editor and the website.

That is how I would start a revival.
Then I would start work on all the other features .
KISS -Keep It Simple Stoopid
foleyjo

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:30 am

foleyjo wrote:I still think most of those things are not needed for the start of a revival.

(going to sound like a broken record but)
Android, and HTML 5(Or other webbased compiler) are what will breing people back.
Android support will need to have some kind of auto scaling so you don't have to worry about different phones and tablets or TV's.
It would also need support for different controllers so you can create games for devices such as Shield and JXD.

I think it would be good to allow a selection of things to compile. We already know that you can create screensavers by changing the filetype. So add the feature at compile time.
Maybe allow the making of screensavers, animated wallpapers other boot screens on android too.

The other thing to consider after adding these features would be to move the focus away from just being a game editor. Maybe someone would use it to make a little slide show for there website, or someone might make use it to customise there phone with their own background and applauncher.

Then get an impressive site made using game-editors HTML compiler.

Then make some little facebook apps such as those "What character are you" quizzes that are popular and start sending them out to people to make them go viral.
Now the clever bit about the facebook push, make some easy to edit templates for people to make there own versions of the quizzes and games. Yet in each one there will be an advert for Game-Editor and the website.

That is how I would start a revival.
Then I would start work on all the other features .

@foleyjo Thanks for expressing your opinion.
But exporting for a lot of devices is not all that matters. If everything is outdated, buggy and with missing functions.. do you think that would be cool for professional developers? We need to think for them too, not only for those that intend to develope on low-level.....
We'r not going to invite people with the words "Hey, gE can compile games for Android!" We'r going to invite them with demo/list of possibilities/good sides of gE
why?.. there are thousands of C/C++-based android Game Engines for 3D or 2D game developement. All of them, have twice as much functions then gE.
Lets first fix the things that makes gE "the engine". the things in which gE is good at.
We just want to make games that easy for our Android as well i got that.
Also gE 1.4.1b is already with Android support, so it is more then clear that the Android compiling will be done.
Shall we focus on the other things now?

Also Game-Editor IS Game-editor and noone will start ruining its avocation. If you want to make screensavers, use Easy "ScreenSaver Studio" why the hell Game-Editor.
Turning Game-Editor into something else, is not possible unfortunatelly, but i can suggest you other good programs if you want to build Facebook games, animations etc if want.
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Postby foleyjo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:15 am

It's not just about adding an Android compiler ( I also said HTML 5). It's about making it compile for modern devices.
If you look at what something like Game Maker offers compared to Game-Editor in terms of compile , you will see it is full of modern devices. You look at game-editor and it's still advertising GP2X.

My post was also not just about adding a way to compile the game so it runs on android. It's about making it compatible with other android features. There are games and demos all over this site that are already suitable for playing on portable devices.

You also need to remember that game-editor is perfect for those starting out. Someone new isn't going to say
"Hey how do I create a 3D ray traced model that I can twist and turn in a 3D world?"
They are going to say
"Hey how do I make my little 2D man move from a to b by pressing a key on the keyboard"

As for your views on what game-editor is?
Game-Editor can already be used to make a screensaver. Compile your game and then change the fileextension and select it as your screensaver. It opens. There is even a tutorial on how to do it on this site. In fact the last thing I actually finished was a screensaver that I put on the computer at my old place of employment with a timer. When the timer ran out a Klaxon sound played with a goodbye message. I turned the volume up full and left.
I also remember someone was working on using GE to make an OS. Not sure who that was though.
As for making facebook games - you are saying that GE is used for games but you want to dictate the platforms people can make games for?
In fact your whole last paragraph was you dictating what people should use GE for.

You need to move with the times. Give people a tool they can use to make the the things they want to make on the platforms they want to use them on.
That was the whole spirit of GE when I first started using it. It started as a 2D game making environment and then people started to use it to experiment with 3D games. What if people took the attitude back then that "GE is for 2D games and turning it into something else is not possible".

Anyway that's about it from me.
You say you want a revival, yet when someone who left and recently came back tells you what kind of things they were looking for when deciding to come back to using it, you don't seem to care.
If you ask people why they left in the first place i'm sure some would comment on the lack of compile options and the lack of things you can develop for.
foleyjo

Postby bat78 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:04 pm

I do care... especially if there is a grown under the suggestion. Don't give me examples of gE 7 years ago. You seem'd to be interested in programs from the last known milenium :?
Excuse me? I am not dictating anything.. im speaking from other's name? I've been in gE's community any day along.. while you were somewhere else.. i am aware of what people like. And you can be sure it is not like 7 years ago. Thank you.
bat78

Postby foleyjo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:32 pm

do you not think that might be the problem?

7 years ago (actually it's more 2 - 3 years ago but we will use your 7) this was a very active forum with people trying new things. It was a time when people still downloaded 2D games to play on pcs.

Now there seems to be a small number of people developing and from what I've read, they seem to start out with GE and then move on to development tools that allow them to do more things.

Now people don't want to play 2D games on pcs. People want to play games on facebook and share there scores, or invite others to join in. People want to download apps for their latest phone. Apps that do cool things and apps that do pointless things that pass a couple of minutes while waiting for the bus.

It is true that I am into programs from the last milenium. I have a vast collection of games from the 80's and 90's. Though I'm not sure how that relates to my suggestions?

Also the following is dictating what people can use GE for.

Also Game-Editor IS Game-editor and noone will start ruining its avocation. If you want to make screensavers, use Easy "ScreenSaver Studio" why the hell Game-Editor.
Turning Game-Editor into something else, is not possible unfortunatelly, but i can suggest you other good programs if you want to build Facebook games, animations etc if want.

update* -Just to add to this but you say it's not 7 years ago, but nothing about game editor appears to have changed much considering what was being worked on when I stopped using it. I know there has been work done behind the scenes but there is nothing I'm using now that wasn't available to me prior. Even the same bugs are present. So it's unfair to pass judgement about me not moving with the times when GE still has an option to compile for GP2X when that feature broke years ago.
Last edited by foleyjo on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foleyjo

Postby bat78 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:34 pm

foleyjo wrote:do you not think that might be the problem?

7 years ago (actually it's more 2 - 3 years ago but we will use your 7) this was a very active forum with people trying new things. It was a time when people still downloaded 2D games to play on pcs.

Now there seems to be a small number of people developing and from what I've read, they seem to start out with GE and then move on to development tools that allow them to do more things.

Now people don't want to play 2D games on pcs. People want to play games on facebook and share there scores, or invite others to join in. People want to download apps for their latest phone. Apps that do cool things and apps that do pointless things that pass a couple of minutes while waiting for the bus.

It is true that I am into programs from the last milenium. I have a vast collection of games from the 80's and 90's. Though I'm not sure how that relates to my suggestions?

Also the following is dictating what people can use GE for.

I think, gE started to die, once after you left. Now when you are back, we are going to revive GE by applying those yours amazing and unique and universal suggestions :)
Lets turn Game-Editor into a HTML5SCREENSAVEROLDANDROID-Editor :P (Thats how people will like it more Though)
And by the way.. gE was active because it was decent editor for that time. You are still with your last-known milenium understandings ^^
And nope.. that last quote dictate nothing but the reality.. seems you are not really into it :(
bat78

Postby foleyjo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:56 pm

What is your plan exactly?

You want people to advertise GE. How do you expect that to go

"Hey Game-Editor whats that"
"Oh it's a program that you can use to make games"
"Oh I know nothing about programming I couldn't make a game"
"That's OK it allows you to make games with very little programming experience"
"Hey that sounds cool. Could I make a game like flappy bird"
"Yeah easy"
"Will I be able to make games for the PSN and Xbox market place"
"Don't be silly"
"Well what about for my DS or Vita"
"Nope"
"Will I be able to put it on my phone/tablet"
"Yeah it has IOS support"
"My phone is one of those new Samsungs with Android"
"Erm well yeah but you got to download this other software and mess about with loads of settings, oh and you have to make sure you get the resolution perfect"
"hmm that sounds a bit complicated, well can I put it on facebook or make it playable on my website"
"Erm no but you can upload it somewhere and put a link to download it"
"Well I have an idea for this app that..."
"Is it a game"
"Well not exactly but it uses 2D graphics that you can move about and..."
"No Game-Editor is for games and you will not start ruining its avocation."
"Hey it say's here I can make GP2X games. I still have one of them"
"Oh yeah ignore that it doesn't actually do anything"
"So what else can I do"
"You can put 3D raytraced models in your game"
"Oh right. Well I don't know anything about making 3D models.
"Oh well thats about it then"
"OK................ Hey have you seen this game-maker. It lets me do everything I asked about. Can't I just use that"
"Well yeah if you have last-known milenium understandings"
"OK well bye then. Enjoy your game-editor"
foleyjo

Postby MrJolteon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:05 pm

foleyjo wrote:What is your plan exactly?

You want people to advertise GE. How do you expect that to go

"Hey Game-Editor whats that"
"Oh it's a program that you can use to make games"
"Oh I know nothing about programming I couldn't make a game"
"That's OK it allows you to make games with very little programming experience"
"Hey that sounds cool. Could I make a game like flappy bird"
"Yeah easy"
"Will I be able to make games for the PSN and Xbox market place"
"Don't be silly"
"Well what about for my DS or Vita"
"Nope"
"Will I be able to put it on my phone/tablet"
"Yeah it has IOS support"
"My phone is one of those new Samsungs with Android"
"Erm well yeah but you got to download this other software and mess about with loads of settings, oh and you have to make sure you get the resolution perfect"
"hmm that sounds a bit complicated, well can I put it on facebook or make it playable on my website"
"Erm no but you can upload it somewhere and put a link to download it"
"Well I have an idea for this app that..."
"Is it a game"
"Well not exactly but it uses 2D graphics that you can move about and..."
"No Game-Editor is for games and you will not start ruining its avocation."
"Hey it say's here I can make GP2X games. I still have one of them"
"Oh yeah ignore that it doesn't actually do anything"
"So what else can I do"
"You can put 3D raytraced models in your game"
"Oh right. Well I don't know anything about making 3D models.
"Oh well thats about it then"
"OK................ Hey have you seen this game-maker. It lets me do everything I asked about. Can't I just use that"
"Well yeah if you have last-known milenium understandings"
"OK well bye then. Enjoy your game-editor"

Yes, but cynicism never solved any problems.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:05 pm

It can happan for everyone individually, and in your example, it fits only for someone like you.
And as i said 4 times already, gE will have Android support, skydereign said so.
But if it depends from me, i wouldn't be able to transform gE to another engine like you want. Also even makslane wouldn't be able and he even wouldn't want to.
Thats why i say reality.
You don't have to worry i can handle it. But if we lead the thread with cynical scenarios, we'll end up with nothing. You can't just think for one person.. í've been deving under Unity, RF, Crysis, Ogre i know what makes something popular, and its not neccessery to be something impossible like some of your suggestions.
I respect them.. but im just saying it won't happan, sorry?
bat78

Postby foleyjo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:48 pm

You asked for suggestions on how to revive and I offered you some based on the alternatives.
There were 2 reasons I chose game-editor this time round.
1 - I already know how to use it.
2 - There is no expensive license for me to test my game on my JXD android handheld device.

At first I wasn't even sure if anything had changed because at first glance everything seemed exactly the same as a few years back.
To be perfectly honest I would probably have chosen gamemaker if the andoird license price wasn't so high.

You say that the things I want are things people like me want. Well that is true but at the same time the things I want is based on what the target audience for what I want to make is interested in.

Android you did say and I am aware is being worked on. I suggested other ways android support could be utilised.
I mentioned how HTML5 and facebook support could be an advertising feature if it was added.
I don't know how the compilers work and if this would be possible but nowhere in your replies did you say
"this won't be possible because...."
(except your last reply that is, but that doesn't actually make clear why it's not possible, I assume it's due to lack of interest from people developing GE)
foleyjo

Postby bat78 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:57 pm

foleyjo wrote:You asked for suggestions on how to revive and I offered you some based on the alternatives.
There were 2 reasons I chose game-editor this time round.
1 - I already know how to use it.
2 - There is no expensive license for me to test my game on my JXD android handheld device.

At first I wasn't even sure if anything had changed because at first glance everything seemed exactly the same as a few years back.
To be perfectly honest I would probably have chosen gamemaker if the andoird license price wasn't so high.

You say that the things I want are things people like me want. Well that is true but at the same time the things I want is based on what the target audience for what I want to make is interested in.

Android you did say and I am aware is being worked on. I suggested other ways android support could be utilised.
I mentioned how HTML5 and facebook support could be an advertising feature if it was added.
I don't know how the compilers work and if this would be possible but nowhere in your replies did you say
"this won't be possible because...."
(except your last reply that is, but that doesn't actually make clear why it's not possible, I assume it's due to lack of interest from people developing GE)

It's not possible because noone ever mentioned (until now) about game-editor for facebook and the HTML5.. and there is why.
It just does not worth the effort. Game-Editor COULD be universal and for everything, but everything also could be buggy and old.
We all (maybe with a few exceptions like you) want Game-Editor just less buggy and newer. Thats why we concentrate at those stuff.
When we fix all those stuff.. we may think for expanding gE's compiler possibilities. But its just not the time for this, please understand it.
Adding more features even when some of the old ones does not work is not legit at all. We want to revive gE not make it buggier / fittable for people that sooo much prefer Facebook, HTML5 etc. Most of the people here, dont even care for that (they would mention it otherway)
Of course it could be better with all those implementions... but its just not the right threat for that..
bat78

Postby foleyjo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:16 pm

Surely the point of your revival is to bring new people in and old people back.

Yet from your prior post you are suggesting that the point of the revival is to make things better for the people who are already using it.

If you want to encourage new people then you need to look at where GE is lacking compared to it's main competitors.
If you just want to keep it as niche tool for people already here then as you said, you need to iron out the bugs and introduce those features people have been waiting on.

So what is it that you really want to achieve here? Increased userbase for modern technologies or less buggy interface for outdated technologies.
Bearing in mind that it's only really when you start advanced development things get buggy.
foleyjo

Postby bat78 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:25 pm

foleyjo wrote:Surely the point of your revival is to bring new people in and old people back.

Yet from your prior post you are suggesting that the point of the revival is to make things better for the people who are already using it.

If you want to encourage new people then you need to look at where GE is lacking compared to it's main competitors.
If you just want to keep it as niche tool for people already here then as you said, you need to iron out the bugs and introduce those features people have been waiting on.

So what is it that you really want to achieve here? Increased userbase for modern technologies or less buggy interface for outdated technologies.
Bearing in mind that it's only really when you start advanced development things get buggy.

"My revival" will bring new people into a better environment and get the problems that bother our current users from long ago.
So in case you can't help with that.. please find another topic to argue in. I am not here to argue, it is very clear from my post why i am here actually.
I've listened to you for a pretty long time, now its time for me to listen to everyone else. Im tired of talking about the same thing over and over and making my post fulled of pointless conversations.
THOSE SUGGESTIONS CAN'T GET INVOLVED, NOT AT LEAST ON THIS PERIOD. THATS IT. IM SORRY.
I've been listening about thousands of user's complains about gE and i have a lot too (im working with gE and tourture gE most of all currently) . THOSE THINGS WILL GET FIXED INSTEAD. And then maybe.. JUST MAYBE ..we'll think for appending all what you suggested.
bat78

Postby foleyjo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Your revival will cater for those that already use GE as long as they are willing to use GE exactly how you think they should be using :lol:
foleyjo

PreviousNext

Return to GE - General