February 2013 tournament WINNER ANNOUNCED

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Re: February 2013 tournament

Postby Hblade » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm

I have an idea. What if we based the theme of dark and light worlds? Where in 1 world there will be new platforms, etc
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:08 am

I'll take that idea into account. Can you please pm me more about what this is about? Thanks.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:05 pm

@MonsterBrain- After playing your game, this is what I noticed.
PROS:
-Nice that it has a storyline, and I cant wait to see what this is about.
-Good that you have a mission based game.
-Liked the music and sound.
-Nice feeling of graphics, I felt like that they had a good feeling to them with the other elements.

CONS:
-Very quick to finish. Too fast to complete, unless you have jittery fingers like I do at the last level.

Suggestions- While a lot is good, I find the game-play a bit lacking only because it is too easy and repetitive. Unluckily, that can cost you some points. The game has potential if you had more levels, where maybe some were the same but harder, like some sideways pillars, more rockets, penalized for getting hit by a rocket, more cannons, faster shooting, and an extra-ordinary fight in there. Good, but didn't have a lot to eat. Thanks for participating. :)
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Postby NightOfHorror » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:13 pm

@tzoli- After playing your game, here is what I found,
PROS:
-Good Idea
-Nice graphics (especially since you tell me your ability, I am glad you used your own, or at least I think)
-Glad you added music

CONS:
-Repetitive
-Bad idea to use right shift as a button. I sometimes press it fast to try to get a missile out whenever I can, but then the sticky mode option pops up.

Suggestions- It is a nice concept, but the major problem is it is repetitive, where all you look forward to is an occasional missile delay subtractor, and the choice of right shift is a bad choice. You should have added a space button. My suggestion for this game to get better, add more power-ups, and have a more convenient missile launch button. Thanks for participating. :)
Last edited by NightOfHorror on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NightOfHorror

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:13 am

I will probably wait until the 27th to announce a winner.
NightOfHorror

Postby tzoli » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:53 pm

I was about to do some upgrades but the deadline was too close. Maybe I will upgrade it.
BTW: Textures(Ground,House,"Fences")-Are the Jolteon pixelcraft ones
All the others are mine :)
Creepers are capable of climbing ladders, despite lacking arms. (Minecraft wiki)
tzoli

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Okay, thanks for telling me.
NightOfHorror

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Sorry for posting so much, but I have some news.

I have graded the games, so I will probably will announce winners tomorrow if no one else decides to be a judge after I am home from school.
NightOfHorror

Re: February 2013 tournament WINNER ANNOUNCED

Postby NightOfHorror » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Okay, as promised, I said I would announce the winner if nobody else decided to be a judge.

The tournament consisted of two people, monsterbrain, and tzoli, whose games are on the first page of this topic. My decision was clear based on some things I recognized from both games. Also, just to note, neither of these contestants felt the love this month, as you can see in their games, so neither got bonus points :P .

Finally, now it is time to declare who is the February 2013 Tournament Champion. The theme was extra-ordinary and the extra-ordinary winner is.......................................................

MONSTERBRAIN!!!

Good job to both contestants as I thank them for participating. I decided to pick monsterbrain's game because I felt his was more open to new things. The problem with tzoli is with it being survival, there was only so much you could do, and I felt there was not a distinctive thing besides the missile delay power-up. It was a nine point difference between both games. monsterbrain's game had a lot of potential in the making. You could do much more with it, and I believe that in the end of a production of it, with a few tweaks here and there, it could be a B+ and maybe A- game. Oh and another thing that hurt tzoli's score was his choice of controls. While I am fine with arrows as movement, the right shift key for shooting was annoying.

Congratulations on your win monsterbrain. I hope to see you at the 2013 Championship Tournament. You will get the rewards as promised. :D

The next tournament details will be released on the second of March. Hope to see you there. Thank you. :D
NightOfHorror

Postby MrJolteon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:47 am

monsterbrain,
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:30 pm

okay, I just need to send the passes now. Will do hopefully after school. :)
NightOfHorror

Postby NightOfHorror » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:15 pm

All prizes were handed out and that means this tournament is officially over. Details of next tournament will be released March 2, 12:00 a.m. Central Time, see you there.
NightOfHorror

Postby monsterbrain » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:40 pm

NightOfHorror wrote:The tournament consisted of two people, monsterbrain, and tzoli, whose games are on the first page of this topic.
Finally, now it is time to declare who is the February 2013 Tournament Champion. The theme was extra-ordinary and the extra-ordinary winner is.......................................................

MONSTERBRAIN!!!

Congratulations on your win monsterbrain. I hope to see you at the 2013 Championship Tournament. You will get the rewards as promised. :D

The next tournament details will be released on the second of March. Hope to see you there. Thank you. :D

Thanks NOH ... I'm really glad to see your thoughts about both games (will look into it on future), of course more judges would've given different perspectives..
Tzoli's game was good too, but could've done better. Well, hope to join for next jam .. Thank to you all...
Visit my site for devlog & Games [Checkout 'Game Ideas' section for ideas free to use -http://monsterblogx.com/game-ideas/ ]

http://www.Monsterblogx.com
monsterbrain

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Postby tzoli » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:31 pm

I knew that altough I didn't try your game. I didn't have enough time because of lazyness :P
Congratulations :)
Creepers are capable of climbing ladders, despite lacking arms. (Minecraft wiki)
tzoli

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:03 pm

tzoli, I would like to extend a special form of gratitude for being part of all the tournaments that had a contestant in it. :D
NightOfHorror

PreviousNext

Return to GE - General