Have i returned?

Non-platform specific questions.

Re: Have i returned?

Postby MrJolteon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:50 am

master0500 wrote:
█████████▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Good luck trying to figure out how this bar works.

this represents the progression of a game or some sort of project you are working on
black is what you have completed and grey is what you are working on

~wild guess

Nope.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:34 am

Jagmaster wrote:You make an interesting statement which is true to a certain point, though I do feel the game should play as good as it looks. I've played some games that had good eye candy and looked really good on the package, but really sucked in the actual gameplay. It made me really mad [insert rageface] when that would happen, and games shouldn't make people mad (in that kind of way).
Being a Star Wars nerd, I got suckered into a few Star Wars games that were plain awful. xD

But really, the graphics should be as good as possible.

The graphics should always look good, but the game should play better than it looks. That way the graphics and general style draw you in, but the gameplay is what hooks you (and makes you tell your friends). I definitely wouldn't continue to play a game for just looks.

Jagmaster wrote:I like the run&gun steampunk direction this is going. I also like the ideas of stealth, and upgradeable stats too.

Agreed. The ranking system and leveling AliceXIII is talking about would be great for replayability and general awesomeness. These projects want to make a fun game that appeals to a lot of people, but it should show off the complexity gE is capable of.

We should come up with a deadline for contributing different game ideas, and at that point do a formal poll. I'd like to see this project start pretty soon.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby AliceXIII » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:51 pm

We should come up with a deadline for contributing different game ideas, and at that point do a formal poll. I'd like to see this project start pretty soon.

yes we do need to make a deadline as im getting excited to work on this!

Found this article very insightful. Good information on collaborations. People new to group projects (like me) should definitely read it. srsly.
http://gamedev.tutsplus.com/tutorials/b ... ions-work/

it was a very good article, we havent talked about it yet but we do need to come up with a design document, a management system ie: a couple people to head off certain sections of development or just break the project into pieces for differnt people to take on what they can do and others could take on the harder stuff!

although we'll need an optimizer someone who can go through all the code and optimize it as much as possible so the game will run very well!
"Taking a breath of fresh air."
AliceXIII

Score: 37 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Cool that just the discussion of gameEditor's forums being low in activity has brought some attention to it. I think that people just need to be developing more projects, maybe more group projects (as they require communication), more reporting on changes/additions to games and more collaboration in general (seeking advice about a game/ideas).

But yeah, maybe this is the beginning of the forums being again a more lively place.

And about my statement about graphics. Like I said it was a dumb statement to say about a gameEditor, or really anything. I just mean that the game should play really well, but the graphics shouldn't be forgotten about or look plain and unexciting. I've just seen a lot of games that are fun to play but what I'm looking at the whole time doesn't match up with the gameplay. I don't know, gameplay should always be the most important thing, but graphics/audio is very important as well. By no means do I want to be manipulative with the cover and screenshots of a cool looking game just to have it be an okay or bad game.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby AliceXIII » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:22 pm

i have noticed an activity increase on the forums since we started this topic!

which is good we just need way more activity ;)
AliceXIII

Postby Jagmaster » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:49 pm

happyjustbecause wrote: I don't know, gameplay should always be the most important thing, but graphics/audio is very important as well. By no means do I want to be manipulative with the cover and screenshots of a cool looking game just to have it be an okay or bad game.

No worries, I understand what you mean. :)

skydereign wrote:The graphics should always look good, but the game should play better than it looks. That way the graphics and general style draw you in, but the gameplay is what hooks you (and makes you tell your friends). I definitely wouldn't continue to play a game for just looks.

Yes this is true. Better is key.

Was weapon crafting mentioned somewhere? That would be interesting, although complex.
Pipes, gears, and other parts could be harvested from killer steam-droid enemies and crafted into stuff.

AliceXIII wrote:...we havent talked about it yet but we do need to come up with a design document, a management system ie: a couple people to head off certain sections of development or just break the project into pieces for differnt people to take on what they can do and others could take on the harder stuff!

It'd be neat if we started a subforum for this (I know that's kinda touchy), or a wiki section, or just something to keep all the information organized. An open project like this should also be on the front page of the Ge website somewhere if we want to reel in some outside users (again, I don't know the permissions for that). Maybe.

Should this project have a codename? :P
Last edited by Jagmaster on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:12 pm

GP2X Support will be dropped?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby AliceXIII » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:16 pm

are you asking if it'll be dropped for this project or just in general?

i think this project would be to big for gp2x personally!
AliceXIII

Postby skydereign » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Turon wrote:GP2X Support will be dropped?

Yes, as of 1.5.

Jagmaster wrote:Was weapon crafting mentioned somewhere? That would be interesting, although complex.
Pipes, gears, and other parts could be harvested from killer steam-droid enemies and crafted into stuff.

I did mention customizable weapons would be a nice addition. Using the parts of your enemies would be great, adding more replayability and a slightly rpg feel.

Jagmaster wrote:It'd be neat if we started a subforum for this (I know that's kinda touchy), or a wiki section, or just something to keep all the information organized. An open project like this should also be on the front page of the Ge website somewhere if we want to reel in some outside users (again, I don't know the permissions for that). Maybe.

Actually, since the forum revamp, I have permissions for this. makslane won't mind a subforum for group projects. I'd say the actual design doc would be best on something we can all edit, like the wiki, but instead of using the discussion page, we would use the forums. The wiki also has history, just in case we are concerned someone will remove it all. I believe our wiki doesn't have discussion pages anymore.

Jagmaster wrote:Should this project have a codename? :P

Well, a generic one, or game specific one? We seem to be in agreeance that a steam punk run 'n gun type game with divergent playthrough is the way to go. I'm all for starting the design doc for this game now, but if people prefer a different game, now's the time to speak.
skydereign

Postby happyjustbecause » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:53 am

Though I don't know how much I will be contributing, I think that a steampunk run and gun would be really cool.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 pm

The most I can help you guys with is saying that your ideas are good, and of course I am wasting my time telling you something you already know, but make sure you have a written and typed planner, and of course a planner in your mind to set a deadline and goals for a day. Some don't need this, but it organizes your thoughts, and gives you an idea of what to do that day, but if needed, can be flexible. Good luck! :D
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby AliceXIII » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:49 pm

im guessing there's no other ideas? i waited a couple days to see if we may get a response since no other ideas are coming forward then there's no need to delay the developing of the run and gun idea right? :)

we got 2 committed users and a few other maybes ;)

were still trying to fill the roster so anyone interested?

if were in agreeance on pushing the run and gun forward then first thing to do is to make the design document, i have freemind that i could do it in if need be! but if there's any takers on this then i would be grateful, i usually dont ever make a design document everything's in my head but it wont work in this case for a group project :D
AliceXIII

Postby master0500 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:57 am

if u give me an example of artwork or the art style we want this to look, i could get started :D
master0500

Score: 27 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:17 am

I can do the design document. Are we going to have the document itself open to any edits? Or will any and all changes be done by a single person, based off of discussions about the project? Namely, I can make a wiki page for the document, or a forum post.

master0500 wrote:if u give me an example of artwork or the art style we want this to look, i could get started :D

As it turns out, I was just finishing up a little concept art.
player_concept.png
skydereign

Postby master0500 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:02 am

at what res. do we want the character to be?
master0500

Score: 27 Give a positive score

PreviousNext

Return to General