Game crashes after LoadGame

Non-platform specific questions.

Game crashes after LoadGame

Postby DilloDude » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:58 am

This is becoming most frustrating :x
Basically for the game structure I have an executable file and a game data file. The executable contains all the menus and stuff, the dat contains the actual game. I'm using LoadGame to switch between the two, after saving some stuff in a file so I know what to do when the new game loads. The only problem is that after loading, the game randomly crashes. Sometimes it works partly, but often it crashes shortly after loading (the time varies). Sometimes when I go from the game back to the menu, it can take quite a while for it to happen (and often the cursors get messed up as well). :shock:

In short, it's starting to bug me, and I can't really make any progress until it is resolved. :| Any suggestions?
DilloDude

Score: 58 Give a positive score

Re: Game crashes after LoadGame

Postby DilloDude » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:25 am

Ok, I'm posting the exported game if anyone wants to see what's happening.
Seal_load problems.zip
:roll:
(30.33 MiB) Downloaded 115 times

Directions:
Run Sealaway.exe. The intro sequence begins to play. You can either watch it or press any key to skip each section - type furiously on the keyboard to get past the whole thing.
You get to the title screen and there are three game save icons. Click the middle one, which is already set up. Choose 'START' and then 'OK'. You arrive at the world map, which at the moment looks exceedingly boring. Click 'START' to go into the area map, which so far looks even more boring. Clicking 'START' should load the level. The window changes, if you're lucky you might get a flash of music and the tip screen, and then -KAPOOF- 'Sealaway.exe has stopped working [windows checks for a solution to the problem] A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.'
Marvelous! :D
Abso-bally-lutely brillers! :lol:
NOT! :|
If anyone wants to check out the source code, to figure out what's happening, let me know. I don't want to release it publicly yet, so I'm only posting the exported game.
DilloDude

Postby Kalladdolf » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:37 pm

I tested it and can only confirm your description... this can hardly be an ordinary bug, because you never get that kind of an error message with scripting bugs.
My solution: none :|
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby DilloDude » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:30 pm

==Kalladdolf== wrote:My solution: none :|

That's funny, that was my solution too :P ...
DilloDude

Postby DilloDude » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:40 am

I ended up trying again using v1.4 to see if the problem was resolved. I've completely re-mdade the menu (I had to re-do the intro anyway, to remove the GE intro as 1.4 has the built-in one) and basically made it nicer and improved functionality and whatnot. Also I'm now using fwrite/read instead of save/loadVars.

I still get a very similar problem, although now it's usually just after I get back to the menu from the game (fortunately it tends to save the game first, so when I re-load, the next level is still unlocked).
I've also tried making the menu a .dat as well, and loading from a seperate .exe. This doesn't seem to change much.

The confusing thing is that it doesn't crash until shortly after loading.
DilloDude

Postby zxcvbnm » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Can you try something out , this will help me understand whats going on. In the game demo section I have a game called space attack. I used load game in that game 2 becuase I have 3 levels. Can you download it and run it on your computer and tell me if any crashes occur. That will determine if something on your computer is wrong or game editor itself.
Check out Momo AlienStarcatcher , featured in apples new and noteworthy and has 5 star reviews!!!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/momo-ali ... 61779?mt=8
zxcvbnm

Score: 10 Give a positive score

Postby DilloDude » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:01 am

I tried that, and it works. Also I have successfully played othe games using LoadGame.
I tried replacing the actual game .dat with another test (which allowed me to press various keys to perform functions - finish the level, etc.) Still had the same problem. So it's not just a problem with the particular game.
I just tried it out with another game project I had, wich uses Loadgame - no problems.

Since Kalladolf got the same problem, it implies that the problem is in the game itself, not just my computer.

The problem's happening with the export. The question is, is it just something in the nature of my game that GE doesn't like, or is it something about it that my computer doesn't like?

Maybe I could try sending someone else the source so they can export it and see if they get the same problem?
DilloDude

Postby zxcvbnm » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:17 am

I forgot to ask what OS is your computer?
Check out Momo AlienStarcatcher , featured in apples new and noteworthy and has 5 star reviews!!!
zxcvbnm

Postby DilloDude » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:47 am

Windows Vista.
DilloDude

Postby zxcvbnm » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:10 am

Ok now it makes sense , I only have one more test for you to do and we will see if its your computer or not. Remember the space attack game I told you about I included the scource 2 post down. Compile the source and run it. If it works , then its the game editor who has error. If it doesnt work then its the computer.
zxcvbnm

Postby DilloDude » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:42 am

Tried it, and it seems to work fine.
DilloDude

Postby zxcvbnm » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:44 am

Ok there is something corrupting your files on your game editor.
1) Transfer all your GEDs and EXE into another disk. If you dont have a disk , email them to yourself or Save as draft and that will store your files.
2)Delete all your GEDs,EXE, and game editor from your computer. Yes all of it because just deleting game editor will not be enough.Whatever is infecting it must be in the GEDs or EXE.
3) Redownload game editor and do a new project. It should work this time if you did all the steps.

If you want you can send me the GED via email. My email is krenisis@yahoo.com , I be at work tommorow but I try to help you as best I can. Remember when you load next level its

LoadGame("level1")

I see too many people code like this LoadGame ("level1GED.") thats wrong!!
zxcvbnm

Return to General