Brand New to Game Editor, Can I receive some help please?

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Brand New to Game Editor, Can I receive some help please?

Postby happyjustbecause » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Hello Game editor community, I am brand new to this, and I am a bit confused on how to do most everything. I have watched a couple of the tutorials in the program, but when I try to follow the steps myself afterwards, the files that they use, I don't have. And I don't really understand how to do animations? Is it just a few similar pictures of the character in different poses? I tried looking for something on the forum on starting completely fresh, but I didn't see much that would help me. So could some one provide me with some help, or files that are to get started in the program.

Thank You.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Re: Brand New to Game Editor, Can I receive some help please

Postby skydereign » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:33 am

Welcome. There was a guide that starts from the beginning, but it uses the new interface (which hasn't been fully implemented/released) so it doesn't help much for new users. But, if you followed the tutorials, then it teaches you how to add animations, and even if you don't have the animations they use (which you do) you can still add your own. The files that it uses are in the data directory found with the tutorials (gedt files). Animations are the images (and/or multiple images) you want the player to see. So, if you want an actor to look like it is running, you need to add a running animation. If you want it to look like it is jumping, you need to add a jumping animation. And again, welcome to the forums.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby savvy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:07 pm

welcome! what you should try and do is download some games people have posted on these here forums and study the codes of the more simple games, see what each bit does and try to change/edit things in the games! if you need specific help, ask on the forum.. if we see you post we are more than willing to help you out!

things to note:
x = x + 5 is the same as x+=5, this will make the object move to the right at a speed of 5 pixels.

x+ right
x- left
y+ down
y- up

remember script editor is THE most useful thing in game-editor, you have a mahuuusive amount of things you can do there!
experiment with the controls of GE and the functions, code will be learnt as you progress! keep trying at it! :D

savvy
--> For my help, i ask for a simple +1 if it helps! ^-^
--> I dont code, I type art which you dont understand.
--> I keep winning the 3D model challenge at college, teacher says: "you keep winning im not giving you prizes".
savvy

Score: 44 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks for the help.

Now I kind of understand how to make the animations. It's almost like a film strip, just a thing of pictures. But any advice on how large to make the images, or how to make similar but different poses? You know advice for a newbie. :D

Thanks again
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby Game A Gogo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:17 am

When in game editor, click on Help, then Documentation. It holds many useful information about how Game Editor works
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:30 am

The image size really depends on the size of the view, the type of game you are making, and your own preferences. Assuming the default resolution, and a platformer, I'd keep them about the same size as the caveman. As for making animations, the only suggestions I can give are mark out the frame size (the size of a single image) and copy the first frame into the second frame's position. Edit it a bit, and copy that to frame 3, and keep doing that. The outline you made should help act as a guide. Also, you should make your animation film strips vertically, instead of horizontally, that way you can mirror them to create your other direction animations.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Return to GE - General