Forum Score

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Re: Forum Score

Postby Kalladdolf » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:41 pm

I'll be making my own splash screens too.
If I don't make any, I'll still be advertising GE on billboards throughout the game.
I guess "decorating" your game with GE "merchandise" is probably the best method anyway, since people DO inevitably notice it, but it doesn't get on their nerves.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby Hblade » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Good point, kal.
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:51 pm

This is good to hear!
But honestly, If I were to complete a game and sell it, and use this free license, I wouldn't feel right if I didn't support GE in some kind of monetary fashion. I would have to donate to the cause or something. And of course, I would make a custom splash screen for GE in some way, shape, or form. That goes without saying.

Oh, and Kalladdolf, I agree that is a good point. :)
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby Game A Gogo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:16 pm

My intention is not to make money out of GE. If I am to make money out of programming, unfortunately this will happen when I get a job as a programmer, so GE won't be in the picture ):
But I do intend to support Game Editor as much as I can! Whenever I hear someone wanting to create games, I point them in this direction as a tool perfect to get introduced to programming with a great community!
I've been here for 6 out of 8 years (roughly, been using GE for almost 8 years) this forum has been alive, so I don't intend to give up with this program any time soon :)
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Postby EvanBlack » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:35 pm

I think there should just be a GE store which people can by games from. Even if they don't have GE logos in the game it would benefit both GE and the developer. GE could sell the game for the developer making a fee, and the developer could make a profit too. Not only that but this would draw customers to GE for other things as well.

GE Merchandising, T-shirts, hats, books, backpacks, plushy toys XD

I think GE could be a HUGE thing.
(\__/) ( Soon... The world)
(O.o )< will be mine!____)
(> < )
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bunny Overlord 2012!
EvanBlack

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:06 am

EvanBlack wrote:I think there should just be a GE store which people can by games from. Even if they don't have GE logos in the game it would benefit both GE and the developer.

I think this is a very good idea, and a web port for web will help this (already in development)
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:08 am

Game A Gogo wrote:Full license means no GE logo at start up right? I'm sure I asked this before...

I'm asking now because if I am eligible for a full license, I'd still like to show my support with a splash screen, that is made by me :)

But since I've already basically got a full version GE long ago, I suppose I can't be eligible for this! :P

You are eligible!
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
makslane
Site Admin

Postby makslane » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:09 am

I love this community :-)
makslane
Site Admin

Postby Game A Gogo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:27 am

and the community loves you back! For you have provided us with an amazing tool that for some (Like me) showed the right path to go in their lives. Because of you, I am able to pursue my childhood dream; to create games! I believe GE won't die anytime soon :)

The GE's forum 10 years birthday is coming in two years right?
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Postby makslane » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:38 am

:-)
makslane
Site Admin

Postby Kalladdolf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Same here, I want you to know that right at the moment, my biggest ambitions involve GE.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby jimmynewguy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:53 pm

EvanBlack wrote:I think there should just be a GE store which people can by games from. Even if they don't have GE logos in the game it would benefit both GE and the developer. GE could sell the game for the developer making a fee, and the developer could make a profit too. Not only that but this would draw customers to GE for other things as well.

The only problem with that is there are several sites for indie devs to sell games without the fee that GE would take. They allow you to post games for free and make money off of them. Plus there are many other websites that will do it for money that are a lot more popular than GE sadly :( Don't mean to put any ideas down though!
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Score: 89 Give a positive score

Postby EvanBlack » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:50 pm

Game A Gogo wrote:and the community loves you back! For you have provided us with an amazing tool that for some (Like me) showed the right path to go in their lives. Because of you, I am able to pursue my childhood dream; to create games! I believe GE won't die anytime soon :)

OH MAN! Before I found GE. I was struggling trying to get OPENGL to work for me, DIRECTX, ALLEGRO (not so much a struggle but a problem because I used visual basic), Python->Pygame, SDL, SFML.. and all of these ended in failure because of the amount of time it takes to just create the functions needed to create a resource manager. GE makes handling all that stuff simple and fast! Although it doesn't have all the functionality of OpenGL, or the speed and resourcefulness of straight C++ with libraries. It is by far the best tool I have used. This is the farthest I have ever been into doing what I love, game development.

jimmynewguy wrote:
EvanBlack wrote:I think there should just be a GE store which people can by games from. Even if they don't have GE logos in the game it would benefit both GE and the developer. GE could sell the game for the developer making a fee, and the developer could make a profit too. Not only that but this would draw customers to GE for other things as well.

The only problem with that is there are several sites for indie devs to sell games without the fee that GE would take. They allow you to post games for free and make money off of them. Plus there are many other websites that will do it for money that are a lot more popular than GE sadly :( Don't mean to put any ideas down though!

gE store doesn't have to have a fee ;) I was just saying its a possibility. Also, indie game websites usually get their money from ads and traffic. Also they develop games themselves in which they use other people coming to their website to post their games as added traffic. Hosting games made with gE for free would probably boost sales of gE anyway. But also they could add perks for membership subscriptions. There is unlimited possibility.

But another thing is, when some iconic games come out using gE, then there is a chance for merchandising. Like creating plush toys, t-shirts, buttons, stickers, and more. Also, could fund the start of possible creation of an MMO that would bring even more traffic to the site.

The possibilities are endless. How gE decides to go about them is flexible too.

Blizzard started off a small indie like company then suddenly burst into the top of the game industries. They did it by creating games such as diablo and starcraft. Starcraft is a sport in South Korea. I bet the original creators had no idea that it was going to get that big, they probably just built it so that they could battle their friends at lan parties.
(\__/) ( Soon... The world)
(O.o )< will be mine!____)
(> < )
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bunny Overlord 2012!
EvanBlack

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Postby Hblade » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:20 pm

makslane wrote:I love this community :-)

:D
What Gag said: "And it loves you back!" So true xD
Thanks man for this awesome software!
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Previous

Return to GE - General