[Forum Project #1] Story ***Spoilers in the making***

Subforum dedicated to discussing group projects.

Re: [Forum Project #1] Story ***Spoilers in the making***

Postby happyjustbecause » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:53 pm

GEuser wrote:
happyjustbecause wrote:... I wouldn't want the zombies to become too big of a part of the game. Maybe just mention them a few times, encounter them one or two times ...

Not necessarily zombies just more addle brained, covetous and quick tempered. The idea was that if resources were to be gathered from waste dumps deep down in remote areas there should be a deterrent from piling up resources too easily (it has to be a challenge), somewhat different from the regular robots/mechanoids because you are in a totally diffferent environment far removed from the norm. No biggie though, if not included.

Yeah, sorry for dumbing down your idea by just labeling them zombies, but yeah I think that's a cool idea that could break up the pace of the game. Keep the gamer interested by introducing a new little side story of how these people got to be this way and why they are living down in those areas. And that would give an excuse to have some really cool weird environments, maybe we could have some kind of new weapons or upgrades discovered in this area, acidity or radiation or some kind of thing. I don't know.

I think we shouldn't be afraid to throw some cool things in even if they may seem a little off beat from the other areas of the game, I don't think we're trying to make a super engaging and thrilling story that can't afford to take risks. I mean we're trying to make as best a story we can, but the gameplay should be more important right, and if we have some cool new sections like these that could help make the overall gameplay better and less repetitive.

Sorry for that little tangent, I just don't want to be afraid to have unique ideas like this because it doesn't quite fit in with the steam punk theme.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:09 pm

happyjustbecause wrote:I think we shouldn't be afraid to throw some cool things in even if they may seem a little off beat from the other areas of the game, I don't think we're trying to make a super engaging and thrilling story that can't afford to take risks. I mean we're trying to make as best a story we can, but the gameplay should be more important right, and if we have some cool new sections like these that could help make the overall gameplay better and less repetitive.

Sorry for that little tangent, I just don't want to be afraid to have unique ideas like this because it doesn't quite fit in with the steam punk theme.

I get what you're saying, but we should still consider the theme. Jamming in too many different conflicting themes will only make the game less enjoyable. We want to player to feel submersed into the world we create. By breaking apparent rules that we set up (including fantastic things that normally wouldn't belong), we break the illusion. We are striving for a really immersive environment, compelling story, and addictive gameplay. So why not take the precautions so that we can make an all around amazing game?

The key to branching out from the theme, is to adjust the theme to the branches. You can have magic in sci-fi, as long as that plays a relevant role throughout the story. The use of the zombies would work, as long as say big brother was experimenting on recreating life (perhaps they thought it was a failed project). It wouldn't need to be fully shown in the main story, but it should have a few mentions, as well as some npc dialogue. Steampunk does include some of the weirder side of innovation, and with the use of electricity to restart the bodies of the living I could see it working out. Creating monsters out of slime though, is far less believable in a steampunk world, and would break the game's illusion. After all, you're not going to see unicorns in a cowboy game.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Yeah, that's usually a good way of going about doing things, making them relate to the world rather than it just being unexplained. Because then you are also adding to the lore and the depth to the world rather than just something that is there but doesn't really make much sense it that setting. I guess if we add enough to something, to make it seem like it fits in with the tone that works just as well. For things like unicorns in cowboy games I guess you need the whole game to be like that level of wackiness, unless of course it's an easter egg.
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby GEuser » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:18 pm

skydereign wrote:
happyjustbecause wrote:I think we shouldn't be afraid to throw some cool things in even if they may seem a little off beat from the other areas of the game, I don't think we're trying to make a super engaging and thrilling story that can't afford to take risks. I mean we're trying to make as best a story we can, but the gameplay should be more important right, and if we have some cool new sections like these that could help make the overall gameplay better and less repetitive.

I get what you're saying, but we should still consider the theme. Jamming in too many different conflicting themes will only make the game less enjoyable. We want to player to feel submersed into the world we create. By breaking apparent rules that we set up (including fantastic things that normally wouldn't belong), we break the illusion. We are striving for a really immersive environment, compelling story, and addictive gameplay. So why not take the precautions so that we can make an all around amazing game?

The key to branching out from the theme, is to adjust the theme to the branches. You can have magic in sci-fi, as long as that plays a relevant role throughout the story. The use of the zombies would work, as long as say big brother was experimenting on recreating life (perhaps they thought it was a failed project). It wouldn't need to be fully shown in the main story, but it should have a few mentions, as well as some npc dialogue. Steampunk does include some of the weirder side of innovation, and with the use of electricity to restart the bodies of the living I could see it working out. Creating monsters out of slime though, is far less believable in a steampunk world, and would break the game's illusion. After all, you're not going to see unicorns in a cowboy game.

happyjustbecause wrote:Yeah, that's usually a good way of going about doing things, making them relate to the world rather than it just being unexplained. Because then you are also adding to the lore and the depth to the world rather than just something that is there but doesn't really make much sense it that setting. I guess if we add enough to something, to make it seem like it fits in with the tone that works just as well. For things like unicorns in cowboy games I guess you need the whole game to be like that level of wackiness, unless of course it's an easter egg.

I think we should get away from the notion of zombies/supernatural stuff because this was never really my intention (my bad for giving the wrong impression and not enough detail). I was thinking more along the lines of SOME humans who have become more primitve (more tribalised?). This brings a unique steampunk niche into the fold: Steampunk tribalism? I'm thinking humans with steampunk stylised body piercings (bolt necklaces, nose rings, earings, metal strip skirts, etc...), think shanty towns & villages made of scrap metal parts, a rugged worn out look but with a comfortable out doorsy kind of look? Their weopons would also be less advanced (steampunk bows & arrows, dart pipes, etc...). On religious front what would a steampunk diety worshipped by a steampunk tribe look like? A whole anthropological minefield to explore and get lost in, all in glories steampunk dumbed down ( :D )

To make the game less same old same we should perhaps focus on how we can make the themes appear different yet still connected. Stitched togather like a patchwork quilt, with a universal theme/shape to it. This could be done by exploring how a world full of steampunk inhabitants would survive in different biomes rather like life on Earth but by mainly utilising steam with a bit of electricity (if pragmatic enough) in rural areas and more advances electrics in unrbanised ones (kind of like how design thread more or less states now).

How would a steampunk civilisation evolve in following environments: a desert, sea/coastal, forest, mountain terrain and of course subterranean regions. What aspects of these environments (including biology & resources) would influence the overal design for it. Would the steam be produced a different way? Would water scarcity (desert) have an impact on how and the extent to which steam technology is used (steampunk solar?) And likewise a surplus supply of water (sea/ocean/river) would this create an explosion of well steamed and advanced water cities? Would you see regular steampunk merchant caravans travelling to and fo from city to city, one terrain to another to sell their wares ( what would a steampunk fashioned camel look like or would it be a caravan of steampunk tracked vehicles?) Would rebels have their own resource contacts amongst these travelling merchants or commission their own pushy steampunk entrepreneurs to keep stocked up for raw resources that cannot be got from overlord city (timber, sand, stone, raw metals, etc...). What would the inhabitants look like in these regions with respect to steampunk look ( a fusion of steampunk and local reources for the look of clothes & housing? e.g. what would a desert marquee stylised with steampunk look like? What would normadic steampunks, aquatic steampunks, etc..., look like?)

One way is to imagine this for real. In a real world we would still need resources like stone, wood, glass and metal. These would be obtained from forests(timber), mountain(cave mines = stone, metals, minerals), Desert(silica/sand = glass for glass blowing rebel smith). Just like in our world you would have large urban complexes and remote rural areas for agriculture and resource gathering. The only distinction would be that the way they survive will be through steampunk means, the machinery, the housing, the transport (steamboat/barge/longboat on a river/sea), etc... Despite all this you would still have people living in different biospheres. It's this (terrain) that would influence the different modes of steampunkism (is that a word :lol: )

I've gone too much overboard now. Anyway, to have too much ideas would be good for a sequel ( :lol: )
GEuser

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:31 pm

GEuser wrote:I've gone too much overboard now. Anyway, to have too much ideas would be good for a sequel ( :lol: )

It does sound more like a sequel. From what you described, I'm getting the feeling of a large rpg overworld, one without too much conflict (namely the war with big brother). It removes a lot of the refugee feel, and sinister undertones to the world. Though I'm sure we could come up with a good fusion of the two.
skydereign

Postby Jagmaster » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:40 am

I went ahead and and filled out some "character development sheets". Some of the detail is not so important, but it kind of helps visualize things bit. These are by no means set in stone either, I mainly want to get the ball rolling so edit to your heart's content! :)

I saved them in rtf format because I figured that it would be the most compatible format. A wiki would be a lot nicer for stuff like this, but this format will do for now.
Main Protagonist We still haven't pinned down a name (as far as I know). There were a couple good candidates though, and frankly I'd be fine with either of them.
Morris Sloss An assassin character I thought up. Villains are fun to develop.

Here's a blank sheet. Nobody has to use it, but sheets like this make it easier to think things out (for me anyway).
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby GEuser » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:55 am

Jagmaster wrote:I went ahead and and filled out some "character development sheets". Some of the detail is not so important, but it kind of helps visualize things bit. These are by no means set in stone either, I mainly want to get the ball rolling so edit to your heart's content! :)

I saved them in rtf format because I figured that it would be the most compatible format. A wiki would be a lot nicer for stuff like this, but this format will do for now.
Main Protagonist We still haven't pinned down a name (as far as I know). There were a couple good candidates though, and frankly I'd be fine with either of them.
Morris Sloss An assassin character I thought up. Villains are fun to develop.

Here's a blank sheet. Nobody has to use it, but sheets like this make it easier to think things out (for me anyway).

Thanks Jag, will have a look at these.
GEuser

Postby happyjustbecause » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Wow Jag, great job with those character sheets, I really like both of the character's details. Maybe we should all fill one out and see the common interests for attributes of the characters. I do like this format of getting information out because it presents you with questions rather than you having to think of everything on your own. I'll submit one or a few in a bit :)
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby Jagmaster » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 am

happyjustbecause wrote:Maybe we should all fill one out and see the common interests for attributes of the characters.

Yes, please do! I look forward to seeing your results :)
Jagmaster

Postby GEuser » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:57 am

Jagmaster wrote:
happyjustbecause wrote:Maybe we should all fill one out and see the common interests for attributes of the characters.

Yes, please do! I look forward to seeing your results :)

Yeah good job Jag. Could you guys give a quick list of what character profiles are needed for now (I've lost track of which ones we need so far). Just generic stuff father, hero, villian, vilians advisor, etc...?
GEuser

Postby Jagmaster » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:23 am

Say, thanks!
And yeah, pretty much the generic stuff needs to be done I'd say. What I did also was pick a random name and just sort of make up a persona for him (honestly that was more fun than developing the protagonist haha).
I think the highest priorities for now are probably the the main villain and protagonist. I think the first post on this thread has some others too.
Jagmaster

Postby skydereign » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:39 am

It was brought up in the first thread, that we might try having a branching storyline based off what the player chooses to do. Do you guys still think we should still do this, or instead not allow the player to make choices? I am currently for multiple play paths and endings.
skydereign

Postby GEuser » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:14 pm

skydereign wrote:It was brought up in the first thread, that we might try having a branching storyline based off what the player chooses to do. Do you guys still think we should still do this, or instead not allow the player to make choices? I am currently for multiple play paths and endings.

For my part, I still believe multiple play paths and endings are important. It increases the shelf life of the game and even if some are not used, interesting bits and pieces from them can always be incorporated into single path.
GEuser

Postby Jagmaster » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Oh yes definitely . I agree with what GEuser said above.

I'm absolutely for this. If we stay organized and focused, the outcome will be quite rewarding -but it will certainly make the story development take much longer.
With that said, we should find a way to pace ourselves. Some kind of generalized schedule.. otherwise this will go on and on without end.

But how this is executed should also be decided. We could give the player a physical choice of which path to follow ie, door1 will lead to storypath1 and door2 will lead to storypath2 and so on. Or another thing we could try is playing with the hero's morality, like some kind of meter, based on what how the player behaves, either at the will of big brother, the rebellion, or even a third party. At the end, the player's alignment will be determined by this factor as will the end of the story.

The way I see it, they the former has the advantage of being more simple code-wise, but will require more assets, graphical and level design (perhaps). The latter would be simpler on level design, but would require more on the logic end (this is my assumption). Of course you wouldn't have to go one-way or the other, a hybrid method could be put in place too.
Jagmaster

Postby happyjustbecause » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:39 pm

Yeah, I think branching story lines should be done if possible. It makes it more interesting for the player, to have a different kind of interaction with the game, to be able to slightly change it.

I think it'd be cool to have a mixture of physical and moral choices. Like choices that don't exactly change your alignment, like choose to go fight big brother or the rebellion. There can be choices like go to fight an army or go rouge and sneak past everyone. Choices like that should also be available.

And I think it would better to have the choices not identified as good or evil, like in Fable 3 or Mass Effect the choices between good and evil are obvious, Fable has devil horns above evil choices and halos above good choices, mass effect has good dialogue as the top option, evil as the bottom. This contrasts The Walking Dead game where the dialogue is randomized and you have to actually think about which thing to say.

We should avoid this is what I'm basically saying:

Choices should be more fluid and realistic. Unlike Mass Effect 3's ending...

Are we going to want any branching dialogue to make choices, or is that too much code and work to do?
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Projects