What kind of games go to Game Demos?

Game Editor comments and discussion.

What kind of games go to Game Demos?

Postby koala » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi! :D

I was wondering how complex and advanced, both visually and contently, games have to be to post them in Game Demos?

Thanks! :D
Phascolarctos cinereus
YouTube: Marko Radivojevic
Google+: Marko Radivojevic
koala

Score: 30 Give a positive score

Re: What kind of games go to Game Demos?

Postby bat78 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:07 pm

There are no such restrictions but they might not be threated very well / or might say at all / if they were not previously reviewed.
Which is why you need to post the development progress and/or ideas in Game Development section on a first plan.

Feel free to post about any of your game ideas.. and users will help and review it and test if there is something that needs to be tested. :)
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Postby koala » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:19 pm

OK, thanks! :D

Well, I've already posted two games but they are far from "big projects". It is needless to say that it is absolutely OK to delete, or move them to another topic. I am 100% OK with that. :D I don't want to "throw in a background" good games by other users on a list of New Releases.

I have some ideas and I will take your advice. Thank you one more time. :D
Phascolarctos cinereus
koala

Postby schnellboot » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:17 pm

One rule is to post the source code, but I don't know if everyone does that.
schnellboot

Score: 102 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:44 pm

schnellboot wrote:One rule is to post the source code, but I don't know if everyone does that.

Yes, if you are going to post in Game Demos.. you'll as well have to post the source file and the data.
No, people don't always do that but they should. Otherwise their game will not be official gE-published game.
bat78

Postby koala » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:08 pm

People start their games in Game Development, but when they are finished, games stay there. Is it better then to start developing game in Game Demos and update the first post? That way game will be available on the GE website, too.
Phascolarctos cinereus
koala

Postby bat78 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:16 pm

koala wrote:People start their games in Game Development, but when they are finished, games stay there. Is it better then to start developing game in Game Demos and update the first post? That way game will be available on the GE website, too.

People share their ideas or progress of development in the "Game Development" section.
When a game is finished, you can post it here, in the "Game Demos" section.
The most highly rated / commented and liked games go to Showcase. These games will be the first to represent Game-Editor.
bat78

Postby koala » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:19 pm

bat78 wrote:
koala wrote:People start their games in Game Development, but when they are finished, games stay there. Is it better then to start developing game in Game Demos and update the first post? That way game will be available on the GE website, too.

People share their ideas or progress of development in the "Game Development" section.
The most highly rated / commented and liked games go to Showcase. These games will be the first to represent Game-Editor.
If I understood you, I start developing game in Game Development. When it is finished, I need to open a new topic in Game Demos. Is that right?
Phascolarctos cinereus
koala

Postby bat78 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:21 pm

koala wrote:
bat78 wrote:

If I understood you, I start developing game in Game Development. When it is finished, I need to open a new topic in Game Demos. Is that right?

Yes.
bat78

Postby koala » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:22 pm

bat78 wrote:
koala wrote:
bat78 wrote:

Yes.
Well, that's a whole another story. :D Thank you very much!
Phascolarctos cinereus
koala

Postby lcl » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:10 pm

And what comes to games on the Games-page of the game-editor site itself (this thing: http://game-editor.com/Games) anyone can add their own finished games to that list. Or one can ask someone else to do that if one can't figure out how to do it.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby koala » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:45 pm

lcl wrote:And what comes to games on the Games-page of the game-editor site itself (this thing: http://game-editor.com/Games) anyone can add their own finished games to that list. Or one can ask someone else to do that if one can't figure out how to do it.
Hey, I didn't know this! :D Great! Thanks!
So, after a game is finished, author, or developer can open the game's topic in Game Demos and also add the game in the page above. Nice. 8)
Although it seems to much to place game on both places. :?: Maybe it is better to put it in the Games-page, what do you think?
Phascolarctos cinereus
koala

Postby lcl » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:00 pm

It seems no-one has remembered to tell you the biggest single difference between projects that belong to Game Development and those that belong to Game Demos.

To Game Demos you must upload the whole source of the game, the ged-file and the data folder with it's contents. To Game Development you can decide how much you want to share of your game. That's why many people share their work-in-progress / test versions of games in Game Development and the final versions in Game Demos. Most people don't want to show unfinished, probably somewhat messy code to people before it's finished and cleaned.

But some people who don't want to share their code even decide to publish their finished games in Game Development as only executables.

But besides the limit of having to have the whole project uploaded when postin to Game Demos, there's really not that much rules or limitations to it. If you look at demos other people have posted, there's a lot of demos of neat ideas people have had, and examples of how to accomplish things.

The Games-page requires you to have a topic where to link, so having your game on the games-page goes well along with having a topic for the game in Game Demos. You want to be able to say something about the game to people who are about to try it, right? :D

(Excuse any misspellings, I wrote this on my phone)
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby koala » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:07 pm

lcl wrote:It seems no-one has remembered to tell you the biggest single difference between projects that belong to Game Development and those that belong to Game Demos.

To Game Demos you must upload the whole source of the game, the ged-file and the data folder with it's contents. To Game Development you can decide how much you want to share of your game. That's why many people share their work-in-progress / test versions of games in Game Development and the final versions in Game Demos. Most people don't want to show unfinished, probably somewhat messy code to people before it's finished and cleaned.

But some people who don't want to share their code even decide to publish their finished games in Game Development as only executables.

But besides the limit of having to have the whole project uploaded when postin to Game Demos, there's really not that much rules or limitations to it. If you look at demos other people have posted, there's a lot of demos of neat ideas people have had, and examples of how to accomplish things.

The Games-page requires you to have a topic where to link, so having your game on the games-page goes well along with having a topic for the game in Game Demos. You want to be able to say something about the game to people who are about to try it, right? :D

(Excuse any misspellings, I wrote this on my phone)
Thank you LcL, this is really helpful.
I will always upload source. I've done it for previous three projects, I will do it for Tablic, too, just when I arrange it, if you can say so.
I see, when you click on a game in Games on GE site, it redirects you to Game Demos in forum. Got it! :mrgreen:
Thank you one more time! :D
Phascolarctos cinereus
koala

Return to GE - General