Some words

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Some words

Postby makslane » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:57 pm

Hi All,

I'm sorry about the delays to delivery the new interface, the network and other features.
I do not have the time and the energy that I had when I started to write the Game Editor in 2002.
Game Editor is not a best seller, so I need to make all by my self and is not easy.

Now I am trying to do what I can to improve the program.
The Game Editor grew and became an enormous objective to be kept by only one developer,
then, I am trying to write the necessary documentation so that other people can work in the development too.
But besides documentation, I need to get funds to paying the development. I am working to obtain the two.

I'm not a big company.
I'm tired.
But I really want to see all features I have planned with the all suggested features in a future version of Game Editor.
Written by me or not.

Thanks,
Makslane
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Re: Some words…

Postby metal_pt » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:22 pm

Hi Makslane,

I do understand how you feel.
I have never seen the kind of support you give to us from anyone else in any kind of business.
You DO care about your customers and GE users and that deserves all the respect in the world.
As I once said to you: You've got a customer for life.

Good luck for you life and for the future of Game Editor: The best 2d game making plataform ever.

Um grande abraço.
]v[eta[_ - Using GE since June, 15 2007
Currently using v1.3.8 Registered
metal_pt

Score: 2 Give a positive score

Postby Kalladdolf » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:34 pm

I never knew before, that there was only ONE game editor writer!
WOW, makslane! You seriously deserve to get some rest.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby summer_goth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:11 pm

It's all good Makslane. Game Editor is amazing and the fact that you've created it all on your own is quite an achievement!

You've got another customer for life here.

I can understand that you are tired. Maybe you should take a vacation? Go away for a bit and forget Game Editor for a week or two. When you get back you'll feel better.

Oh and I understand that you want the big updates to Game Editor but people like small upgrades just as much. Multi-player is a big effort to code. Rather work on small attainable updates.

Your support is great Makslane and I am glad that I purchased Game Editor. You've got a gem here.

Keep up the good work but go take some time off first. :wink:
summer_goth

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Postby Joshua Worth » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:26 pm

Hmm, why did you say "Written by me or not"? :?: :?
Stay sweet
Joshua Worth

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Postby BeyondtheTech » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:28 pm

I only have one word for you Makslane. It's brilliant.

To make something from nothing, you given many here a chance to make something from nothing also. I had a Pocket PC (and will again soon) and saw a lot of potential, but didn't want to get into Visual C++ or some monotonous SDK in order to develop games for this platform (and many others, I might add!) By stumbling onto your program, I even forget how I did it, I was able to create multimedia-heavy programs with unbelievable ease.

For that alone, you have my perpetual support. Add to the fact that you are a single developer, you connect directly with your users, your developers on your platform, and try to give them the best support and added features one person can give. There's only 24 hours in a day, and believe me, if I never had to sleep again, I truly wouldn't. I'd be programming like crazy.

So, thank you again for everything, please keep up the great work, if there's anything we can do to help, let us know.
BeyondtheTech

Score: 4 Give a positive score

Postby Kodo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:42 pm

Makslane, you’ve got me as a customer for life as well. I regularly buy two copies, one for my PC and one for my Laptop. GE is what I had been looking for for years. Some five years ago I was waiting for Clickteam to add a feature for making PPC games, they still haven’t done it even though they said they would. GE doesn’t seem to have been very well noticed by the online game making hobbyists or companies. Perhaps a name change and image update might help? Re-launch GE to the press with a new wrapper.

I know how tiring and hard it can be trying to do something on your own, especially if it's a big project that goes on for years (or even indefinitely). Please don’t worry that things are going slow at the moment. What we have already is absolutely amazing. Take some time off the development if you need to, have a holiday. If you need help keep looking, I've seen much worse software get the financial backing of big players, GE is just as deserving (if not more so) than Game Maker etc.

Have you thought about changing the licensing agreement for commercial users so they pay more? I develop games purely for commercial reasons and would be happy to pay a much higher price for a yearly licence, if you get more money flowing you may be able to look at getting others involved to help, which will make it easier for you as well as allowing GE to grow quicker. If you were able to provide extra development tools or features only for commercial licence holders while keeping GE accessible to hobbyists you might start to see more cash. Let’s face it, at the moment it seems to be very popular with young beginners and/or enthusiasts that don’t have the means to buy. Which is good as it does create a fan-base, but you need to get something out of this or eventually you will lose interest and a great product will be lost :(

Anyway, I’m sure everyone will understand why some things have been a long time coming; take a break, come back fresh and maybe with some help. We’ll still be here :)

All the best
Inogames: http://www.inogames.com iOS gaming
Firetop Adventure (app store): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firetop- ... ?mt=8&ls=1
Kodo

Score: 23 Give a positive score

Postby Bee-Ant » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:51 am

I know your feeling..it's hard... :cry:
But, be cheerful we are in here for you... :|
Although we can't help you for improving GE... :|
Maybe GE isn't the best seller, but GE is the best masterpiece, because it had made by ONE person..it's you :D
So, spirit...!!!
Makslane who I had known isn't GIVE UPPER like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Bee-Ant

Score: 210 Give a positive score

Postby ozziedave » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:32 am

Hi Makslane.

I can understand you’re your feelings when you have been working alone on such a large project as “Game Editor”.

I guess it is with you day and night, with no let up from forum questions and small bug fixes etc.

I have programmed and sold database software around Australia and was a one man band, the pressure it puts on you is tremendous.

Why don’t you can the new interface, the present one works well, forget about creating a compile for the new Apple Mobile
(over $1,000 Aust Dollars) to expensive, and have a few months break from “Game Editor”.

Without “Game Editor” I would not have been able to produce games for the GP2X , which is the main reason I purchased the software.

At the moment it seems to work as promised for all programme types and is a project you can be proud of.

Regards

Ozzie
ozziedave

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby irblinx » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:38 pm

It must be really difficult for you, I have often felt that creating my games using your great tools, I can only imagine how difficult it must be trying to juggle with something as big as this project.

It might be worthwhile taking a step away for a couple of weeks as suggested elsewhere, if nothing else then to recharge your enthusiasm. I would definately making a list of all the different things that you have planned and tackle them one at a time. You could even list some of them in a poll on this forum and ask the users which ones they'd like to see first to try and help you prioritise.
irblinx
http://www.irblinx.me.uk/Crania.htm
Current projects: Crania deluxe for Mac, iCrania
irblinx

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:59 pm

I'm moving to a new job, a day time job. So, for the first time, I can't work at full time in Game Editor anymore.

I think this new job will give me the opportunity to deal with big projects with a team of developers. In this scenario, I hope learn how to specify better what Game Editor needs to grow up. I intend to have time and the right resources to make this specifications.

Thanks,
Makslane
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby Kodo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:44 pm

Congratulations on the new job! It's also good to hear that GE will carry on in some way, even if things go slow for a while :)
Inogames: http://www.inogames.com iOS gaming
Firetop Adventure (app store): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firetop- ... ?mt=8&ls=1
Kodo

Score: 23 Give a positive score

Postby Game A Gogo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:41 pm

I hope for yo uthe best of lucks, you will be going somewhere whit Game Editor, when you think of it, you already have!
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby Fuzzy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:50 am

I'm certainly a Customer for life! I even buy it for other people.
I'd like to volunteer for forum moderator. That should help reduce some of what you have to do.
Mortal Enemy of IF....THEN(and Inspector Gadget)

Still ThreeFingerPete to tekdino
Fuzzy

Score: 95 Give a positive score

Postby Kalladdolf » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:59 pm

Me too, (if u trust me)
I'm as good as online everyday.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Next

Return to GE - General