Animation Engine glitches

Non-platform specific questions.

Animation Engine glitches

Postby AnarchCassius » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:15 pm

When I converted my game objects to use sequences of a main animation instead of individual ones I got a weird error. Now the animations play but their speed is not constant. They will desync and sometimes play very fast or slow. Placing an event in Draw Actor to do nothing more than set their animindex to their animindex with no change in animation direction greatly reduces this effect, but it still happens occasionally.

Is this a known bug? The side effect of something I'm doing wrong? Or actually expected behavior?
AnarchCassius

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Re: Animation Engine glitches

Postby Kodo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:55 pm

It's not a problem that I've ever seen. Could you maybe post up an example ged/data for us to try?
Inogames: http://www.inogames.com iOS gaming
Firetop Adventure (app store): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firetop- ... ?mt=8&ls=1
Kodo

Score: 23 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:17 pm

I've seen it happen, it was quite obvious in Kid Krusader as the ones that had the glitch were the enemies, all lined up and supposed to be uniform. Occasionally some will speed up a lot, while others they slow down. Couldn't find a fix, besides removing sequences.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby AnarchCassius » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:16 am

Since the bug is confirmed I'm gonna spice up my demo a bit before showing it off. My "fix" which I discovered by accident is, as I said, to give them a Draw Actor event to set them to the anim they are on. This actually keeps them from doing it all that I can see, the bug now only occurs with the death sequence which is coded a bit differently.
AnarchCassius

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:04 am

Weird, in my case setting it through draw did not work. I didn't try setting animpos manually, which would have to fix it, but it wasn't extremely frequent so I moved on.

-Edit
This is a bug gE has with sequences and clones. Essentially all clones share the same sequence frame timer, so the more you have the faster the animations play, usually resulting in a normal looking animation (due to frame overlap). This has been fixed in gE 1.5.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Return to General