New here- comments and questions

Game Editor comments and discussion.

New here- comments and questions

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:17 am

Hi, I'm new here. My name's FerrarimanF355, but you can just call me ferrariman. :) I like what I see in Game Editor, as it's affordable and pretty easy to use, but I have some questions. One, it says that I can create anything: what does that mean? And two, what sprite editors are you guys using? I want to create sprites that wouldn't look out of place in a Neo Geo game, like one of the King of Fighters titles: any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any answers! :)
ferrarimanf355

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby Just4Fun » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:09 am

Hi ferrariman:
I'm glad that you've discovered GE and that you have decided to join the forum. I think that you will find the GE community to be welcoming, friendly. and informative. I hope that you will decide to buy GE and stay for a while.

As far as your questions go, I think that you can create any sort of 2D game with GE. GE compiles to WinAll,Pocket PC, and Linux platforms, but Makslane (GE's amazing creator) tells us that he plans to support compilation to more platforms in the future.

Creating games is easy(once you learn the program). For many games, there is very little scripting. If you have a working knowledge of C programming, the sky is the limit and a good C programmer could probably create programs well beyond the scope of what is advertised. Most games, though, don't need anything more than what is already built into GE. Many games can be built almost without scripting. I'm still learning things everyday about GE and I've been using it for quite a while now.

One word of caution though, GE is like any complex program. It takes a little time to get to know what the program can achieve and how to achieve it. If you have the fortitude to stick with it, I don't think you will be disappointed. GE can become quite addictive.. It is a great neuro transmitter stimulant and it definitely increases seretonin levels when you accomplish something new! :shock:

I'll leave your question on sprite editors to someone else. ..
I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.

** Makslane == Genious **
Just4Fun

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby jazz_e_bob » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:04 am

Photoshop.
Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming.
jazz_e_bob

Score: 14 Give a positive score

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:36 pm

jazz_e_bob wrote:Photoshop.

I guess the question then is: How can I make Neo Geo-quailty sprites using Photoshop?
ferrarimanf355

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby jazz_e_bob » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:44 pm

Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming.
jazz_e_bob

Score: 14 Give a positive score

The Learning Curve

Postby Cleve Blakemore » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:52 am

Have you ever had the good fortune to find a software tool that at first gave you the impression it was needlessly abstract and esoteric to the point of being useless in terms of the productivity it was supposed to gain for you ... but after a short while of persevering with it ... you "got it" and realized it was in reality so simple and straightforward that it was you looking for more than could be found in it?

It has been said up here that it would be impossible to make an isometric game with Game Editor. That is not entirely true. It wouldn't be easy but it would be possible if you were talking about simple one-screen affairs like Qubert or Knight's Quest or similar titles.

I believe that Game Editor is largely unlimited depending on the creator's programming skill in C and your willingness to familiarize yourself with the paradigms it presents.
Cross Platform executable generation in a 4GL C-Scripted Compiler? I've got your Game Maker hanging right here.
Cleve Blakemore

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Return to GE - General