Large levels: info from wikipedia

Non-platform specific questions.

Large levels: info from wikipedia

Postby lverona » Thu May 03, 2012 8:43 am

Hey fellas!

Wikipedia lists this as a serious flaw of GE:

Game Editor can have problems if large numbers of scripts are present, where objects can behave abnormally. An example of this is that some objects will conduct an event at an undesirable time, and sometimes parts of scripts can be completely missed. This can make large levels in a single file close to obsolete; if large levels were to be created, it is recommended that these levels be divided up into separate files.

I would like to know how accurate is this and if it is - what is the optimal number of scripts and size of level.
lverona

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Re: Large levels: info from wikipedia

Postby makslane » Thu May 03, 2012 12:03 pm

The activation regions are designed to allow several levels in a single ged file, without speed or memory problems. The idea was you be able to see the whole game in a single view.

But if a bug exists, this can not be working for some games.
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby lverona » Thu May 03, 2012 2:06 pm

But this is the question - does this bug exist?
And is there a definite limit to the size of the level? Something for the designers to look at when they are doing levels?

For instance, I am making my first game with GE. I have no idea what is considered a big level in GE and how soon will I experience problems reported in this Wikipedia article. Or maybe this is old news and you guys already fixed this! M?
lverona

Postby MrJolteon » Thu May 03, 2012 3:22 pm

lverona wrote:

And is there a definite limit to the size of the level? Something for the designers to look at when they are doing levels?

For instance, I am making my first game with GE. I have no idea what is considered a big level in GE and how soon will I experience problems reported in this Wikipedia article. Or maybe this is old news and you guys already fixed this! M?

The "infinite" field of nothing goes 1000000 pixels each way from the center
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Thu May 03, 2012 8:24 pm

lverona wrote:

Since I've been here, there have been no reports of this problem nor have I come across any reports of this in my browsing of the forum. I have on one occasion come across a runtime error that was caused by the script interpretor (the game was around 400MB). This was one of the only true show stopper I've come across. But as far as I am aware, the problem didn't occur from too many scripts (as after reworking the engine a bit, I didn't run into it again). But other than that, there haven't been any problems that sound remotely like it.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby lverona » Thu May 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Okay, this is very good to know. I will look into the accuracy of the wikipedia article then.
lverona

Postby master0500 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:50 am

longchamp wrote:i tend to believe Wikipedia .

a problem with that is that Wikipedia can be edited by anyone not making it a reliable resource, so even though some information may be correct, you should check the 'references' section to see where the information is coming from.
(Google search)
master0500

Score: 27 Give a positive score

Postby Hblade » Thu May 17, 2012 2:13 pm

master0500 wrote:
longchamp wrote:i tend to believe Wikipedia .

a problem with that is that Wikipedia can be edited by anyone not making it a reliable resource, so even though some information may be correct, you should check the 'references' section to see where the information is coming from.
(Google search)

Actually, wikipedia has a lock system. If someone edits it with false information, someone who has a "higher lock" than that person will re-edit that thread, and if THEY are wrong, an even higher lock will edit that thread, and if THEY are wrong, then Wikipedia admins will edit the thread and completely lock it with the "gold lock" I think? where nobody can edit it at all.

Wikipedia is reliable :) if something is wrong, it wont stay wrong for very long.
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby lverona » Fri May 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Indeed. There is a whole article on Wikipedia which answers common criticism. In fact, I probably need to go and challenge that paragraph, say that it does not cite sources.
lverona

Postby lverona » Fri May 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Editor#Known_problems

Also added a section to the talk page.
lverona

Postby DST » Fri May 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Does anyone know for a fact that that page is actually wrong?

I read over the page, and it seems in every other aspect that it's a well stated summary of what Game-Editor is.
It's easier to be clever than it is to be kind.
http://www.lostsynapse.com
http://www.dstgames.com
DST

Score: 151 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Fri May 25, 2012 8:49 pm

I believe that came from gE's documentation (though I can't seem to find it right now). Perhaps makslane has removed it since then, but I think I read it somewhere on this site before. If I am remembering correctly, that means it either is still is a potential problem or it has been fixed. That being said, I haven't found it to be a reachable problem, nor has anyone else.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby DST » Fri May 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Well that's good to hear.
It's easier to be clever than it is to be kind.
http://www.lostsynapse.com
http://www.dstgames.com
DST

Score: 151 Give a positive score

Return to General