Do you want to make games for iPhone with Game Editor?

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

Do you want to make games for iPhone with Game Editor?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes : 119

Re: Do you want to make games for iPhone with Game Editor?

Postby Zehper48 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:11 am

I do not play to get an i phone, but i think alot of the people that get i phones might be dragged to this website and game editor may grow more, i think the first priority however should be multiplayer all the way! So many more people would join game editor and purchase it, i know i would

Makslane, do you have an estimated date or month of when multiplayer over lan or interent feature will be avaliable, i think i remember you saying somthing about this year, but it was a while ago. So will you make multiplayer this year (plz say yes =p)
thanks
I like score
Zehper48

Score: 4 Give a positive score

Postby irblinx » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:05 am

Whilst the addition of other formats is always welcome I would much rather see optimizations for the WM platforms (performance on the lower end devices isn't great) and also the new interface and Multi-player functionality in place first.
irblinx
http://www.irblinx.me.uk/Crania.htm
Current projects: Crania deluxe for Mac, iCrania
irblinx

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby BeyondtheTech » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:32 pm

Hey, Makslane...

You probably know what I'm about to say. Being a recent convertee to the Mac platform and a proud owner of an iPhone, I would absolutely love the idea of game/application development on the iPhone. Do you already have any preliminary support, meaning since it's already an ARM processor. Can you get any binaries to compile and run on it yet? By old Bubble Buster game is purely touch-only (no hardware key control), so technically, it will function if you can get it to compile and run. Let me know, I'd love to try it out!

Biased as I may be toward the iPhone and development for it, I also have to point out that Apple at any time may simply cut off the ability for unauthorized binaries to run on the device. Take the iPod Touch, for instance, which is simply the iPhone without the phone. People are currently have a hell of a time trying to add applications and the same hacks they did on the iPhone, which may be a bad things to come for the iPhone if and when they get the next update. If Apple does decide to drop the hammer on hacks, it would be a lot of wasted time and R&D which could have been used for developing on the Mac, or for multiplayer, or other requests we've previously posted.
BeyondtheTech

Postby summer_goth » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:58 pm

Well said BeyondtheTech.

Our game is nearing completion and also works with stylus input only. So the iPhone will actually open up an extra market for it. I am however worried about the legality of making binaries for the iPhone. I have not done much research on the whole subject however.

I am hoping that there will be a couple of small updates to Game Editor first before taking on such a project. On my side I would like the new PocketHAL to be included and the variable width bitmap font support. PocketHAL will be an easy addition because Game Editor already makes use of it. Whereas I have simple code for the variable width bitmap font which I will gladly send to you Makslane if you need it. I wrote it for PocketFrog and I think it will work easily with Game Editor.

So overall I think I was too intent in getting those small updates before getting a big update such as Game Editor supporting iPhone. Multiplayer will also add a whole new dimension to the creation of Game Editor games but I think that's very difficult to implement.

I'd like to release games for the iPhone but I'd LOVE the smaller updates first. So count my no that I voted earlier as a yes if you are going to release a smaller update of Game Editor before the big update with the new export.

Oh and one little thing that may actually need a new post but I'll just post it here: Can you maybe make the mouse wheel work with the code editor? I never realized how much I use it until now.

Keep up the good work. Game Editor is an amazing piece of software and I look forward to see what updates are coming.
summer_goth

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:03 pm

BeyondtheTech wrote:Can you get any binaries to compile and run on it yet?

Not yet
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:04 pm

summer_goth wrote:On my side I would like the new PocketHAL to be included

Sure, in the next version.

Can you maybe make the mouse wheel work with the code editor?

Only in the new interface, sorry.
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
makslane
Site Admin

Postby markroedel » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:06 pm

Just4Fun wrote:Yes, I'd love to see some GE development in the Mac direction. I wonder if GE would then work on a Mac? I've been using a MacBook for a while now and I like the OS very much. I rarely even use Windows any more. So if iphone GE would also work with Mac, that would be wonderful. If not, I still think it would be a great idea especially considering that we now also have the new touch screen ipod.

I'll second this -- iPhone support would be nice, but having games be playable on Macs would be really nifty. (And a version of the editor itself for OSX would be way cool...)
markroedel

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby Game A Gogo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:54 pm

I agree, mac support should be implanted as well as the multiplayer support.
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby StianAune » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:15 pm

It have been better to make games for the "normal" moble devices. From Sony Ericsson, Nokia, Samsung, Siemens etc. They are more popular. Game Editor may be alot more popular if you include these devices...

And... For iPhone is good..... And it has been cooler to make games for PSP yeah....
:) New here :)
StianAune

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby morcior » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:59 pm

I feel quite cheated.

in NOVEMBER 2006 Makslane posted screenshots of the 'new' GE interface, and then shortly afterwards in December, he announced he was also working on multiplayer support. In January this year, he announced that anybody buying the gold package would get a copy of the new GE with a new interface and network support - wow!!!! I instantly bought the gold package even though I already owned GE, because I wanted this new version so badly.

2 Months later I was sent a 'beta' of the new version which did not have the new interface, but it did promise network support! I open it up.. ok so wheres the send data commands? Receive data ... ? nope. is there even a TCP option? no. Is it usable in any way? no! Essentially makslane spent 2 months trying to hack Raknet into GE, and failed. I havent heard a word about multiplayer support since then, I even emailed makslane some tips on game networking but to no avail.

Its now coming up to 12 Months since you promised the new UI & Multiplayer Makslane, you've produced neither, infact I think you faked the screenshots of the new UI as I've seen no evidence in the beta versions of any development in that area. Multiplayer support is the same, I see you made an effort to try and start it, but I think you've given up. I didnt give you $50 extra when I already owned GE just for fun, you promised good features, and you failed to deliver them.

Now I see this post where you're talking about adding crappy ihpone support when you're already over a year behind on the last things you promised us?!

I want my $50 back
morcior

Score: 9 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:17 pm

Sorry about the missing features.
I have processed the refund for your orders.

I hope have time to make all features I have planned to Game Editor.
makslane
Site Admin

Postby morcior » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:35 pm

ok thank you for the refund :) I shall check its gone through later today.

For the record, I'd rather have the new UI and Multiplayer than my $50 ! When these features are released, I will start using GE again.
morcior

Score: 9 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:53 pm

Ok, thanks.
makslane
Site Admin

Postby makslane » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:29 am

morcior wrote:in NOVEMBER 2006 Makslane posted screenshots of the 'new' GE interface, and then shortly afterwards in December, he announced he was also working on multiplayer support...

Read about this here:
http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26768
makslane
Site Admin

Postby BeyondtheTech » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:35 pm

Well, you can forget about making iPhone games for quite some time.

The latest iPhone firmware update to version 1.1.1 has pretty much locked out all hacks and outside-developer activity, much like the iPod Touch has been locked down.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/iphone ... 304497.php
BeyondtheTech

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests