Game Editor resolutions!

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Game Editor resolutions!

Postby ikarus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:37 am

Getting to the point where I probably can release a demo in the next few days, I've made my game automatically scale to the resolution of the user but I'm not quite sure what resolutions I should put out versions for. I figured focus on the first guys that'll probably play the game, the guys on ge forums! So I wanted to ask, what resolution do you have on your computer? :P
Everyone post your resolution, could be a great resource for everyone else out there as well!

1366x768 for me! :D
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.code1011.com <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
ikarus

Score: 11 Give a positive score

Re: Game Editor resolutions!

Postby ChooJeremy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:59 am

Resolution: 1366x768 (recommended)
lol, same as yours :D
ChooJeremy

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby schnellboot » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:38 am

1024*768
schnellboot

Score: 102 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:50 pm

That sounds interesting!
Can you tell me how did you do the scaling? I'd like to hear how you did it, because I've done one system for scaling games as well :D

Don't remember my resolution now, I am not on my own computer
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby Game A Gogo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:56 pm

First monitor: 1680x1050 22" widescreen lcd (30 pixels more tall and it's 1080p)
Secondary monitor: 1024*768 14.5" old lcd screen (Has one little red dead pixel)

I recently got a second screen, It's given me the space I needed, so I can keep my widescreen for working and games while the other screen for other tasks.

here's a screen shot of how big it is :D http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9246426/screenshot.PNG
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby ikarus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:36 pm

lcl wrote:That sounds interesting!
Can you tell me how did you do the scaling? I'd like to hear how you did it, because I've done one system for scaling games as well :D

Don't remember my resolution now, I am not on my own computer

Eh, mostly just hacks really. When the view is created I have it create the hud elements depending on it's own width and height, and for text I have large text and smaller text, it createActors whichever one depending on its own dimensions. For stuff like the main menu I had a global variable for menu states and when it changed the view would automatically move itself to a section of the menu and auto center itself on a non drawn actor that I had in the center of it. Also I made the menu big enough to work on large displays and small enough to still fit in small displays. When the menu variable was set to 0 the view would automatically center itself on the level's spawn point and then switch to following the actor. Some actor animations will change depending on the size too It wasn't near as hard as I thought it'd be though

Damn Gogo! If any of my games ever make money I'm definitively getting a better system. My current computer I got for $50 on ebay XD
I miss my old computer, too bad it overheated :/
ikarus

Postby jimmynewguy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:33 pm

I just got a new graphics card :D so 1600x1400 right now. I probably will turn it down since everything seems so small, I'm not used to it...
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Score: 89 Give a positive score

Postby ikarus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:11 pm

jimmynewguy wrote:I just got a new graphics card :D so 1600x1400 right now. I probably will turn it down since everything seems so small, I'm not used to it...

Yeah I'm to the point where I'm not sure I would even want a higher resolution then this lol, I mean I'm basically better then 720p hd and everything looks good enough to me lol
ikarus

Postby Game A Gogo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 am

ikarus wrote:
jimmynewguy wrote:I just got a new graphics card :D so 1600x1400 right now. I probably will turn it down since everything seems so small, I'm not used to it...

Yeah I'm to the point where I'm not sure I would even want a higher resolution then this lol, I mean I'm basically better then 720p hd and everything looks good enough to me lol

My two screen ain't enough... I want to plug a TV to get a third screen!!! :D Really... I need a lot of space when I create music and graphics. Plus games on this screen is just... wow (Especially if you got the video card to run them REALLY smooth! if it wasn't for my CPU slopping them :P)

ikarus wrote:Damn Gogo! If any of my games ever make money I'm definitively getting a better system. My current computer I got for $50 on ebay XD
I miss my old computer, too bad it overheated :/

I got my whole rig for a complete of... nothing :D One thing I can advise you... Build your computer yourself. It's highly upgradable, More stable than brand made computers AND it's a lot less cheaper!
I know Dells have special bios's that will corrupt itself if it detects upgrades not from Dell! (Yeah, litterally corrupt itself... Computer just crashes as soon you press the power button, you have to flash the bios, if you KNOW how or even what that is ;P )
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Postby jimmynewguy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 am

Game A Gogo wrote: if it wasn't for my CPU slopping them

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103871 :P
$10 off should do you good, then again don't know what kind you have now.... but it should be better than a broken one!
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Score: 89 Give a positive score

Postby Game A Gogo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Hehe, you can't just shove any processor in your computer, has to fit into the socket, and I have an intel socket, not an AMD, so it won't fit... and I don't have the money either, I have to eat at the end of the month :P

Although thanks for the though :)
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Return to GE - General