More Rooms , i need help

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

More Rooms , i need help

Postby BloodRaven » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:46 am

Hi friends i am here with a request ! :D :D

I worked with Game Editor , i like this program this is great but when i really started creating game i found that it is very hard to make Menu's , more levels , separate intro's etc...They are all in one big room ![ sometimes i can't find my own characters in different levels :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ]

Is anyone thinking there is a need of more rooms , i mean working place , than big one .It will be easy to add separate levels or separate puzzle games in one game[That's my dream].Or adding more levels inside one project.

" I think more than one is better than one "
Can you support me ? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
blooDRaven
BloodRaven

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Re: More Rooms , i need help

Postby skydereign » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:40 pm

If rooms are just determined by levels, it is easy enough to mark off new rooms within your game. You can either use wire frame regions, activation regions, and/or normal actors to mark them off. You can even use separate ged/exe files if you want. I don't really see a global advantage for this, when for most games, it is not necessary. The big one I think is the loading of ged or exe files, since the new 'room' is not limited. If you had new rooms, then you would need to mark off the dimensions and other factors. There are some disadvantages to using multiple files, but you can always merge the games, since you should always work on the more complete game and merge it with the other. As far as finding different actors, it is always good to have an actor in the center of the game. These would just be the actor.0, that way they are in a known spot. The level thing is covered by both activation regions and separate files.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby BloodRaven » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:48 pm

Ok then place game inside other game or place region inside game or put game inside a region :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everything is confused .
Now i am working in the way you mentioned ! but Menu's , different levels , different characters everything in one is just -------------.
More ideas ? :mrgreen:
blooDRaven
BloodRaven

Postby Kalladdolf » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 pm

I guess what you'd prefert is different operating windows for each level/menu that are completely separated.
For simple games (or even advanced ones if you handle it well, see WinterBlast), different game files (.exe/.ged/.dat) are very easy to start off with and they offer just that feature. With the Loadgame() function it's pretty easy to jump from one game/level/room/menu to the other.
So what you'd basically do is:
Make a game that is just the menu.
-> Once you hit the "play" button, it loads the first level, which is also another completely different file. (.dat files would be advisable for levels, incase you don't know how to make .dat files, when you export a game, you can select different types of games. Dat files would be the option "game data only".)
-> Once you complete the first level, the next .dat file will be loaded.
-> And so on, till you either complete the game, quit or get a game over. Then it jumps back to the menu.
It's really that simple. It gets a little more complicated if you want to add score and stuff. In that case you'd have to save and load variables using the SaveVars() or LoadVars() function.

But I think that method solves your problem very well.
Oh, one more thing. You might want to have the same character and the same tiles and the same game engine in every level. I'd suggest creating one general game template for all the different levels and creating copies of it. You can then edit each different copy and turn it into an awesome room/level/menu/whatever.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby Hblade » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Hmmmmm, yeah Makslane shoulda done that, say, File New - Map, and what it would have done was added a sector, it dosnt actually make a new map file, jsut adds a sector into the giant black area, and it ONLY lets the view stay in that one sector, so that when your moving you dont have to use a code to prevent the thing from moving
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby j2graves » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:24 am

the advantage of the single infinite 'room' is that you can access all locations in the game with ease, and even make ineractions between levels.
No games to my name...
j2graves

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Postby Hblade » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:09 pm

Yes but the disadvantage of that is that it can begin to lag.
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby BloodRaven » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:19 pm

Yes that's right that's why i asked for that option.In case of separate rooms you can add more levels without loading another game.
I think it will be more easy when there is an option to add more rooms.
blooDRaven
BloodRaven

Postby Kalladdolf » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:19 am

Objection. (lol?)

The difference between a completely different map and a completely different game is close to zero.
The map is probably saved as e.g. "level1.map" and the game is saved as "level2.dat".
Once you have your "SaveVars" and "LoadVars" commands ready, it'll take almost no extra effort.
You don't have to write those commands every time you create a new level, I'd just recommend making a command .txt file where you store all your commands (comes in pretty handy if you're lazy) and just copy and paste them from there.

Bee-ant's Winter Blast game is the perfect example and I'm glad it works the way it does.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby BloodRaven » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:21 pm

comes in pretty handy if you're lazy

:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sometimes i am lazy ...........
But my idea is just to bring a level type concept.In BeeAnt's game is nice but i think my request is little different.I am not asking an extra room but a level concept.
A new control to add a link to a new level that means I want to create more levels than one big room.If i can add an extra room as level when the games runs and reach the specific spot then it will automatically load the next level !
Just imagine ; it will be more easy ....
blooDRaven
BloodRaven

Postby j2graves » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:29 am

what I'm planning on doing is lining up all my levels in a row, and make each inaccessable by the other. once you reach a point, the moveto function will place you in the next level. and also I might put each level into separate activation regions.

yeah, I understand what you're requesting, I'm just telling you what you can do for the time being.
No games to my name...
j2graves

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Return to Feature Requests