Squares Puzzle Game With Map Maker

Post here your demos and examples with the source files.
Forum rules
Always post the games with a screenshot.
The file must have the ged and data files (complete game source)
Use the forum attachment to post the files.
It is always better to use the first post to put the game files

Squares Puzzle Game With Map Maker

Postby jimmynewguy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Never made a map loader/saver so I did for a very simple game. Had some fun with this one, check it out and what not! :)
Attachments
screen2.PNG
Woohoo!
screen.PNG
Squares.zip
(281.41 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Score: 89 Give a positive score

Re: Squares Puzzle Game With Map Maker

Postby EvanBlack » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:01 pm

how does it work? I didn't look at the source, just went straight to game mode

even looking through the source, still not sure what its suppose to be doing. I know saves blocks that you make appear on the screen, but what does it do?
(\__/) ( Soon... The world)
(O.o )< will be mine!____)
(> < )
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bunny Overlord 2012!
EvanBlack

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Postby jimmynewguy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:09 pm

oh, duh. Instructions. haha, you just drag the squares around (only left and right they have gravity so they will fall down if possible) with the mouse to try and fill the goals (slightly transparent blocks) for the map maker control l is load control s is save, type a name and hit enter. Same for custom levels in game.
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Postby lcl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:33 pm

Hey, that's a nice game! :D
Anyway, it took me a while to find out that one has to press spacebar for creating the transparent block in the map maker.. :D

But overall very nice game and a nice way of creating those levels!
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby SuperSonic » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Wow, amazing game. I am officially addicted :lol:

+1 for you :wink:
A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.

Want to use your joystick or controller with Game Editor? Check out my controller engine =D
SuperSonic

Score: 72 Give a positive score

Postby jimmynewguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:41 am

Addicted? Ha, well thanks. I figured all the puzzles would be too easy since I'm not that creative... oh well. Glad you liked it! :)
jimmynewguy

Postby SuperSonic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:01 am

Ha, well thanks. I figured all the puzzles would be too easy since I'm not that creative

They are hard actually. It took me a while to figure out puzzle no. 13 haha :P

Want to use your joystick or controller with Game Editor? Check out my controller engine =D
SuperSonic

Postby jimmynewguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:49 am

Awesome! Originally I was going to have different colored blocks do different things, like only blue can go in water, orange "falls" up ect. but became too lazy with making this. I just wanted to see if I could make a map editor :lol:
jimmynewguy

Postby lcl » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:17 am

jimmynewguy wrote:Awesome! Originally I was going to have different colored blocks do different things, like only blue can go in water, orange "falls" up ect. but became too lazy with making this. I just wanted to see if I could make a map editor :lol:

Hey, do that what you was going to do! This game will be very great then!
Also you should add help section to the game and maybe make those transparent blocks to be more noticeable some way. :)

I like this! Also, how about adding reset level, because when you fail the level you have to close and start the game again for trying again..
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby jimmynewguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:00 pm

R resets the level, man I need to not forget to explain how to use things next time I make something! :lol:

EDIT: I can always put making the better version for this on the "back burner" so to speak. My only problems with projects I want to do now is art. I can't draw at all so nothing will ever look as good as I imagine :(
Last edited by jimmynewguy on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmynewguy

Postby SuperSonic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:08 pm

jimmynewguy wrote:Awesome! Originally I was going to have different colored blocks do different things, like only blue can go in water, orange "falls" up ect.

Dood, do that. That would make the game sooooo much funner (Yes I know that funner is not a word). But seriously, that would make the game much more challenging :D

jimmynewguy wrote:man I need to not forget to explain how to use things next time I make something!

You could make a readme file in the game folder. That would fix it probably :wink:

Oh and, there should be some way to easily add your levels to the main menu. Like once you finish making a level, it adds it to the list so that you can scroll to it and play it instead of typing the name of it in. You know :P

SuperSonic

Postby jimmynewguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 pm

SuperSonic wrote:Oh and, there should be some way to easily add your levels to the main menu. Like once you finish making a level, it adds it to the list so that you can scroll to it and play it instead of typing the name of it in. You know :P

Originally was going to do that, once again just more of a "lazy" thing. I would just have another menu for player levels. Anyway, I will consider this later like I edited in my last post. Just need to collect my ideas and such.
jimmynewguy

Postby jimmynewguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:59 pm

lcl wrote:maybe make those transparent blocks to be more noticeable some way. :)

Anyone have a good way to do this? I can't think of a good way for these to look.. Everything I tried is either worse or looks bad.
jimmynewguy

Postby skydereign » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Have a slightly brighter dotted border rotating around it.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby jimmynewguy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:39 pm

@sky
Duhh, why couldn't I think of that? Anyway, it seems to have proven way less easy to have a 3d matrix with the first holding a level number and saving it all onto one file instead of having 50 level files (or whatever). I have other ideas though...I hope. :lol:
jimmynewguy

Next

Return to Game Demos