Dropbox multiplayer

You must understand the Game Editor concepts, before post here.

Dropbox multiplayer

Postby ikarus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:46 am

Hey so while browsing around I heard mention of a way to use dropbox with savevar/loadvar to do some kind of online multiplayer? I was really hoping to do online scoreboards with my game and thought about how perfect this could be used for this. Would be great to get a thread about this too! Anyone want to explain a bit to me about the process since I've never used dropbox?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.code1011.com <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
ikarus

Score: 11 Give a positive score

Re: Dropbox multiplayer

Postby skydereign » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:13 am

Well, I've never actually used dropbox, but I've set up multiplayer on my home network, which uses the same system. But, I'll let someone else explain how to get the dropbox part working. Not sure if you've come across this, but you can make an online score table like this. http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10459

Essentially though, what using dropbox does, is allow multiple users to play the game from the same place (with a delay). That way when you use saveVars, the other player can use loadVars on the file you just saved. So, both games are saving their relevant information (such as positions, animations, and similar), and then loading the other player's save files. Setting up a hiscore table is pretty similar, but you have to watch out for two people trying to save a new hiscore at the same time, which then you'd need a lock system.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby schnellboot » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:25 am

do you want online highscore or multiplayer
if you want highscore dropbox isnt good for that
jimmynewguy found a good way to do that
if you want multiplayer
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10454&p=75144&hilit=dropbox#p75144
schnellboot

Score: 102 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:14 am

Me and Game A Gogo tried to make a multiplayer through dropbox, but it worked only with very low update speed. Something like 20 seconds if I remember correctly. So, it's not that good way to make multiplayer game. :P
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby ikarus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:09 pm

skydereign wrote:Well, I've never actually used dropbox, but I've set up multiplayer on my home network, which uses the same system. But, I'll let someone else explain how to get the dropbox part working. Not sure if you've come across this, but you can make an online score table like this. http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10459

Essentially though, what using dropbox does, is allow multiple users to play the game from the same place (with a delay). That way when you use saveVars, the other player can use loadVars on the file you just saved. So, both games are saving their relevant information (such as positions, animations, and similar), and then loading the other player's save files. Setting up a hiscore table is pretty similar, but you have to watch out for two people trying to save a new hiscore at the same time, which then you'd need a lock system.

Yeah... That's what I was going to do, but I hoped I had a way to cheat and be lazy XD. I used to be a webdev hardcore but the last month I burned myself out on it after I made these gigantic projects with like nearly 1000 lines of javascript each lol, and nearly finished making a cms. Sigh maybe I can use Jimmynewguy's base so I won't have to think as much :P
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.code1011.com <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
ikarus

Score: 11 Give a positive score

Return to Advanced Topics