Night Knight

Talk about making games.

Re: Night Knight

Postby happyjustbecause » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:16 am

NightOfHorror wrote:Good thing you are working on it. I, no, we appreciate you making games. :)

Thank you for the appreciation. I'm glad to make them =D.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:39 pm

I've been making some changes to the colors of the background for my game and I'd like some feedback on what I've done. I've been making the background darker and glow a bit (bloom effect). What do you guys think about the old vs new backgrounds:

OLD

NEW

I personally like the changes, but do you think the sky should be lighter? Or should the far city should be lighter?
Last edited by happyjustbecause on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby MrJolteon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:16 pm

The new background looks good.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:18 pm

I added a couple biographies for the characters Night Knight. They are both antagonists at the moment, maybe the poet can develop into an ally? That'd be cool too. If you could maybe give me some feedback on what you think about these guys.

Alan Smithee Biography: Alan Smithee grew up with a soaring passion for film. He would constantly be watching movies and shows of whatever genre. He would constantly be renting movies, sneaking into movie theatres, or going to his friend Thomas Lee’s house to watch them. His parents were not extremely wealthy, they couldn’t afford his adulation to movies. Feeling confident in his abilities, Alan began making many of his own short films. Despite his confidence, his parents had been fighting lately and they disregarded his film when he wanted to show them. Being a sensitive person, he took their response (and lack of a response) harshly. He still was extremely interested in this medium, but this emotionally affected Alan very much so. It made him insecure about himself and his work. Alan would grow up to be in many film classes before majoring in film in college.

As his experience in film grew, Alan began making more finished products. He showed these to his so called friends, and they didn’t like the way he filmed them. Alan’s films are usually very surreal with a plot that is often hard to follow. His friends didn’t respect his passion, and again Alan was left feeling angry and unhappy with himself. Film was all he knew and they disliked how he did it. Alan continued making films, but after his negative responses, he was lacking a certain energy he had before being criticized. The small amount of people at his school that did enjoy his work was declining. For a final project for the film class he had, he submitted a short movie he had been working extremely hard on. He received a D and immediately skipped his graduation. He had been pushed over the edge, he was sick of people not appreciating his work and he continued to dwell on this judgement until he was driven to insanity.

The Poet Biography: Constantly speaks in end rhymes and alliteration. Loves Geoffrey Chaucer's "The Canterbury Tails" for it's near constant use of couplets.

If you don't know about Alan Smithee and it's origin, check out this wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_smithee
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby happyjustbecause » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Hello gameEditor community, I thought I might as well finally say something about the status of this game. I've decided that game design isn't entirely for me, at least not now, but I've been getting more into playing and writing music. I still have a passion for games, but I guess I don't have the patience to make my own, to make it as I envision it to be. I'll share the files and how far I got with Night Knight so others could use the graphics or try to finish the game or make their own version of it.

Here's the data in a zip online, and I attached the .ged to this post

http://www.filedropper.com/data_5
Attachments
Night Knight Game.ged
(365.15 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby Jagmaster » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:10 am

That's sad indeed.

Well, it has been neat watching this thread over the past few years. I hope the best for you in your music ventures.
Who knows, perhaps a few years down the road, you'll pick this project up again. And there is so much story here already, if not a game perhaps you could work it into a novel or a comic, hey or maybe even a cartoon show!

Thank you for sharing the files though, It's something I'll have to do with all my abandoned projects as well, one of these days...

On a different note...
I'm not sure why, but all of a sudden it struck me that Night Knight bares resemblance to Moon Knight. I only know who he is because he was mentioned in Patton Oswalt's Star Wars filibuster hehe
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Yeah, it's kind of sad to let it go, but I haven't worked on it for a while, and I feel silly not sharing the graphics and work I've done so far so someone else might do something with them.

And yeah, MoonKnight's one of my favorite superheroes, first found out about from Marvel Ultimate Alliance. It is amazing it's been over a couple of years that I started my work on this game, it's been fun, and I love that I got even this far with the game. It was a cool experience, and yeah, I might pick up this project some time later and finish it or do something else with it.
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby NightOfHorror » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:45 am

I just noticed this and this saddens me as well, but like Jag said, it was fun reading this thread as it went along. :) Hope to still see you around occasionally.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Previous

Return to Game Development