I feel unorganized...

Game Editor comments and discussion.

I feel unorganized...

Postby ColdSpike » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:17 am

So I just got back into making games, and I decided to pick this program because its free and I figured it would probably push me to learn how to program over the full visual scripting stuff like GameMaker. First I tried the video tutorials listed on the front page... no, just no. They may be useful for a quick start up but not really and they aren't very scalable so you basically only get to make what that guy (kid) wanted to make and that is all. Then I tried "Tutorials by Krenisis/zxcvbnm", I got some what far but I noticed when moving my sprite it literally freezes its animation as long as my key is pressed down and only starts animating again once I release the key, I can't find a tutorial or hint anywhere that shows me how to make my sprite move forward and animate at the same time. I feel some what lost here, I figured there would be a set of tutorials that were up to date and didn't require a lot of guessing or something to get started?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
ColdSpike

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: I feel unorganized...

Postby lcl » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:52 am

It is true that Game Editor still lacks a cohesive and accurate Tutorial database aimed for beginners. However, there are many ways of learning GE and if you are motivated and willing to learn, you will learn. Here's some tips for getting started.

There used to be a built-in tutorial system in Game Editor that let you spectate how the editor itself built a few examples of very basic game mechanics including collisions, view moving, character movement, score, highscore, etc. basic stuff. I'm not sure about the current state of the tutorials, I've heard that some of them are broken, but according to my tests at least one of them seems to work in Game Editor 1.4.0. But I know that not all of them work, because new things have been added to the Game Editor GUI and the tutorials haven't been updated and thus the mouse clicks go to wrong places and the tutorials get ruined. But some of them work. Not recommended however, due to the fact that you may just spend many minutes watching a tutorial just to notice it failing after that.

What I do recommend is to have a look here: http://game-editor.com/Help
There is a lot of stuff starting from the basics of Game Editor and advancing to the better knowledge of using Game Editor.

I have also started holding lessons about Game Editor here on the forum, and you can join in as a student or just read the lesson topics without actually being a "student".
The difference between being a student and just reading the topics is that I will inform my students about new lessons right away after publishing them and students may also receive some minor
exercises they will have to do. But the basic idea is that I just share what I have learnt about Game Editor through the years I've used it. The lessons start from the basics of Game Editor and advance towards
efficient using of it and eventually to coding and effective ways of writing your code to accomplish what you want to have in your game.
The main topic for these lessons is here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13175 I will list all the lessons to the first post in that topic.

You can also learn a lot by searching for answers for your problems via the forum search.
And if you can't find answers to your problems by the forum search or from the Game Editor wiki, you can always ask, and there
will always be someone to answer your question pretty quickly. Most likely this someone is skydereign, he is a talented long time user of Game Editor and always knows what he's talking about.

For your problem with animations and movement, moonwalking, here's two ways of solving it:

The state method: http://game-editor.com/State_Method
The best thing about this method is that it allows you to easily add many different styles of movement for your character, like crawling and sneaking and whatever, you name it.

But if you are just looking for a simple way of making a character run left and right and stop when you release the keys, here's how I did it a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10143
But this method may get difficult to use if you want to add multiple styles of movement and not just running.

Also, welcome to GE forum! :)
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Re: I feel unorganized...

Postby ColdSpike » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:03 am

lcl wrote:It is true that Game Editor still lacks a cohesive and accurate Tutorial database aimed for beginners. However, there are many ways of learning GE and if you are motivated and willing to learn, you will learn. Here's some tips for getting started.

There used to be a built-in tutorial system in Game Editor that let you spectate how the editor itself built a few examples of very basic game mechanics including collisions, view moving, character movement, score, highscore, etc. basic stuff. I'm not sure about the current state of the tutorials, I've heard that some of them are broken, but according to my tests at least one of them seems to work in Game Editor 1.4.0. But I know that not all of them work, because new things have been added to the Game Editor GUI and the tutorials haven't been updated and thus the mouse clicks go to wrong places and the tutorials get ruined. But some of them work. Not recommended however, due to the fact that you may just spend many minutes watching a tutorial just to notice it failing after that.

What I do recommend is to have a look here: http://game-editor.com/Help
There is a lot of stuff starting from the basics of Game Editor and advancing to the better knowledge of using Game Editor.

I have also started holding lessons about Game Editor here on the forum, and you can join in as a student or just read the lesson topics without actually being a "student".
The difference between being a student and just reading the topics is that I will inform my students about new lessons right away after publishing them and students may also receive some minor
exercises they will have to do. But the basic idea is that I just share what I have learnt about Game Editor through the years I've used it. The lessons start from the basics of Game Editor and advance towards
efficient using of it and eventually to coding and effective ways of writing your code to accomplish what you want to have in your game.
The main topic for these lessons is here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13175 I will list all the lessons to the first post in that topic.

You can also learn a lot by searching for answers for your problems via the forum search.
And if you can't find answers to your problems by the forum search or from the Game Editor wiki, you can always ask, and there
will always be someone to answer your question pretty quickly. Most likely this someone is skydereign, he is a talented long time user of Game Editor and always knows what he's talking about.

For your problem with animations and movement, moonwalking, here's two ways of solving it:

The state method: http://game-editor.com/State_Method
The best thing about this method is that it allows you to easily add many different styles of movement for your character, like crawling and sneaking and whatever, you name it.

But if you are just looking for a simple way of making a character run left and right and stop when you release the keys, here's how I did it a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10143
But this method may get difficult to use if you want to add multiple styles of movement and not just running.

Also, welcome to GE forum! :)

I think I am going to give Gamemaker a whirl again. If that does not work out then I don't know... right now I am inbetween engines so to speak. Trying to see which one works best for me, so far I see no downsides to Maker other than it not being 100% free.
ColdSpike

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Return to GE - General