Martian Madness (v.1.3.1 in GameJolt)

Talk about making games.

Martian Madness (v.1.3.1 in GameJolt)

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:26 pm

Martian Madness, the game I've been developing for about a week is FINALLY done!!!
The images might take very long to load because they're gifs! Sorry if it does indeed take too long. :oops:

The game's download link is now in GameJolt! :D

INTERACTIVE START SCREEN, AND START YOUR GAME WITH A SPLASH!

SURVIVE BULLET HELL!!!

BOSS BATTLES!!!

AWESOME POWER UP: THE FLASHBANG (feat. Peril state, red background)

A SECRET... WEAPON!

This is a retro game of a space expedition that has gone wrong! The aliens are enraged from the presence of a spacecraft near their territory! Survive as long as you can towards the possibly endless swarms of aliens attacking your spacecraft!

Arrow Keys to move. ASDW to aim. Click Start to start the game in the main menu, or click credits to check out the credits in the main menu!

UPDATE LOG (Up to date log in GameJolt!)
v1.3:
Major update: Fourth boss is a lot more exciting and is now more beatable, with a mini-stun effect.
As if anyone is good or enthusiastic enough to reach this but me. :c
-Removed debug code (Which no one would figure out anyway to prevent high score hacking.)

v1.2.1:
+Laser knockback reduced MORE.
+Ball and Laser enemy spawn rate decreased.

v1.2:
Major update: Changed second boss' behaviour!
Major update: The third boss' laser has less knockback.
+Bug fixed: Ship disappearing out of sight ever so suddenly.
+Bug fixed: Accuracy being reduced rapidly when your secret weapon fires at lasers.
+Faster secret weapon fire rate and velocity!

v1.1:
Major update: Background update!
Major update: Clearer instructions in start menu!
+Motion Compensation!

v1.0:
Game's release.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
A gif is worth over a thousand words, so check the gifs instead.
Last edited by DeltaLeeds on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 14 times in total.
DeltaLeeds

Score: 38 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness (v.1.0)

Postby bat78 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:41 pm

This is my worst gameplay actually, the FPS drop rate was terrifying, because of the recording.

Add MBD events on filled regions instead of text actors, it's easier for player to choose it.
At least turn on the "Motion Compensation" option.. it wasn't fair :lol:
(It isn't meant to be played on recording too soo..)

Also, did you try Omega Race? Because the more I play Martian Madness the closely feeling to Omega Race becomes.

The background is good, the only bad I can be up against is that it is too much colorful.
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:34 am

Martian Madness (cool title) looks like a really tough game with all of the bullets the martian ships fire at the player.
I wasn't able to open the rar file but thanks for listing the videos. Nice retro design and the controls look responsive, with good enemy patterns from what I can see. 8)
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
Zivouhr

Score: 59 Give a positive score

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:42 am

bat78 wrote:This is my worst gameplay actually, the FPS drop rate was terrifying, because of the recording.
-snip-

Add MBD events on filled regions instead of text actors, it's easier for player to choose it.
At least turn on the "Motion Compensation" option.. it wasn't fair
(It isn't meant to be played on recording too soo..)

Also, did you try Omega Race? Because the more I play Martian Madness the closely feeling to Omega Race becomes.

The background is good, the only bad I can be up against is that it is too much colorful.

Thanks for the gameplay video and feedback Bat! :D
How it is like Omega Race: I tried it out!

@Video:
You're an awesome gamer and I can see it because you even made it to level 2 without breaking a sweat! Anyway remember ASDW is for aiming. xD

I've noticed the fps dropage when recording, which is why it's hard to make a moment as a gif. (Those gifs were from 4 out of 9 recordings I took!) I'll try turning on motion compensattion too! Hopefully it'll improve your experience!

@Colorful background: I did want to make the background black and white, but Jolt pointed out that space consisted of mostly orange stars and a mix of cyan and purple. If most players don't like the colors I'll change it ;)

Zivouhr wrote:Martian Madness (cool title) looks like a really tough game with all of the bullets the martian ships fire at the player.
I wasn't able to open the rar file but thanks for listing the videos. Nice retro design and the controls look responsive, with good enemy patterns from what I can see.

Thanks for telling me how the game looks so far Ziv. I wish you could play it though. Was the rar broken or did you use a zip opener other than winrar and 7zip to open it? I'll upload it to copy as I get home ao you can try it! ;)
Unrelated: 500th post!
Last edited by DeltaLeeds on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:40 am

It cannot be a broken rar, I opened it myself.

And I didn't mean that it shouldn't contain colors and should be black/white.
I meant that it has too much colors and they are highly saturated.

The space evno must consist more uniform and less saturated colors.
It looks much better in the video though due to the quality distortion.
Actually same stands for the GIFs.
But the real looking merely resembles that:

As you can see it also has an unwanted2Bdeleted area. You can fix this by adding an alpha channel.
As you can see.. colors are highly saturated making it look farer than space.
Especially with that they are too diverse.

That said, I edited this screenshot a bit:
bat78

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:27 am

Great suggestion Bat, I'll reduce the saturation a bit because frankly I agree that it's slightly too colorful and the gif background (and your video's) is a lot better for the game.

EDIT: I just realized I made a huge mistake, not making the instructions on the top left of the menu clear enough! I saw Bat's playthrough one more time and she forgot to aim using ASDW. It's great to not aim at level 1, but at level 3 and above, aiming is a vital part of gameplay. I'll make it much more clear at the next update, along with the background change and motion compensation. ;)

EDIT 2: ALRIGHT! I don't know what just happened but... The background is somehow animated, when I lessened the brightness and saturation! I do not know this happened, but this is the best background ever!!! :lol: I'll have v1.1 ready in an hour or so. ;)
Last edited by DeltaLeeds on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:43 am

For the level 1 it was very unneeded. They never got near or under me.
So I didn't forgot. This was my decision.

Great, with the next update I might be able to play some more.
bat78

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:43 am

bat78 wrote:For the level 1 it was very unneeded. They never got near or under me.
So I didn't forgot. This was my decision.

Great, with the next update I might be able to play some more.

Aaah! :lol:
I should've never underestimated you! ;)
UPDATED v1.1, and added another gif in the first post about the secret weapon. Hopefully someone is a secret hunter and can unlock that very secret. :lol:
Secret weapon stats: Pierces most enemy's shots and enemies themselves (Most enemies.), and does a whopping 5 DAMAGE! Also a great way to boost your score for accuracy. ;)
DeltaLeeds

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:45 am

I already found it :)
bat78

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:47 am

bat78 wrote:I already found it :)

Niice! That's the type of dedication a secret hunter needs Bat. Don't tell anyone, but put it in your next gameplay video! :lol:
It even pierces lasers so level 3 and 4 should be a lot easier with that weapon. xD
DeltaLeeds

Re: Martian Madness (v.1.1)

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:59 am

Unlikely that I will die, but I think the next playground will be the entire game.
I initially planned to record level by level.
bat78

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:55 pm

bat78 wrote:Unlikely that I will die, but I think the next playground will be the entire game.

Playground. :lol:

bat78 wrote:I initially planned to record level by level.

That's going to be hard to do. Just record an attempt of your gameplay. But well it's up to you. ;)
DeltaLeeds

Postby Zivouhr » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:34 am

Thanks for telling me how the game looks so far Ziv. I wish you could play it though. Was the rar broken or did you use a zip opener other than winrar and 7zip to open it? I'll upload it to copy as I get home ao you can try it!

Thanks Jonathang for the info. I'm currently on mac which won't open the rar file. It's all grayed out.
Even so, the game is progressing nicely from the videos I've seen of it. 8)
Zivouhr

Postby DeltaLeeds » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:05 am

Zivouhr wrote:
Thanks for telling me how the game looks so far Ziv. I wish you could play it though. Was the rar broken or did you use a zip opener other than winrar and 7zip to open it? I'll upload it to copy as I get home ao you can try it!

Thanks Jonathang for the info. I'm currently on mac which won't open the rar file. It's all grayed out.
Even so, the game is progressing nicely from the videos I've seen of it. 8)

Ah! I'll try making it mac compatible so you can play it Ziv. ;)
v1.2 is out! (Hopefully it's final.)
My best accuracy (85%) score, but focusing on accuracy makes the game harder, but the score higher. Which do you want to focus more? Survival? Or Accuracy? Both isn't really an answer as you'll automatically focus to one of them more. :lol:
DeltaLeeds

Re: Martian Madness (v.1.2)

Postby Zivouhr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:36 am

Cool if you can export a Mac version. If so, I'll definitely play the game. 8) The giant boss looks cool, taking up 1/3rd of the screen almost. :shock:
I grew up making games with a "Shoot'em Up Construction Kit" on my old computer and those games were ultra tough, even playing as the programmer. :mrgreen:
Zivouhr

Next

Return to Game Development