gpx2 console exe -do these still work anymore?

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

gpx2 console exe -do these still work anymore?

Postby 247wkman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:06 am

the GP2X has long since been replaced by the Wiz and CAANOO- the only reason i would buy any handheld anymore is so i can one day play a game i made on it. i designed a button configuration based on the (d-pad-6 button, +extra) these consoles but of course it would be specifically the WIZ or CAANOO that people would be buying now. has game editer kept up with these consoles? (may repost this i a requests column somewhere)
247wkman

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Re: gpx2 console exe -do these still work anymore?

Postby NightOfHorror » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:14 am

never heard of them
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby 247wkman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:09 am

OK I shall show you what i mean, the most recent model that is 2 generations older than the GP2X is the CAANOO being sold here:
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Toys27942g ... ck#prodimg And the wiki is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X.

In Game Editer 'Config/Game properties' tab, you will see 'PC and GP2X keys' button configuration tab options, and you can export your games for GP2X platform.
I thought this would be fantastic, when I looked into what the GP2X actually was (G.E being cross platform being awsome in itself, compared to game maker- which I bought, and Construct which look good but G.E wins for the fact you would be able to port to a dedicated console that could be plugged in your tv like a pro)
But if you look at the links you quickly find the GP2X is out dated. From the stuff i have read, it appears that the newer consoles (wiz/caanoo/pandora-not the dingoo, as it has a different chip type!-its not an ARM) required a little plugin called GINGE- (works like WINE which lets you run windows programs in linux).
So basically there is a chance that the GP2X export feature is usless now as it may not be compatible with the newer consoles.

I have been constantly asking round, to see if anyone could confirm the facts on this matter as it would determin weather or not I might buy one of the newer consoles (GP2X is too old now) The CAANOO is a great console- a great d-pad (for once) 6 buttons and a styless like the DS (so you can make games with mouse inputs though perhaps only a single button for clicking) I think that Game Editor should keep up with it as games (proper full length games, rather than phone type games) can be made and sold for it. CAANOO has an SDK you can download but I rather use Game Editor and I can't program.
247wkman

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:56 am

There has been no work on keeping gE up to date with these consoles. They might work if no big changes have occurred, but I doubt it. Not all phone games have to be short, though most quick games are more successful. Since there are only two developers, one on leave, the other working on android, I wouldn't get your hopes up that their will be an export for CAANOO.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Return to Feature Requests