Talk about making games.

Re: Night Knight

Postby phyzix5761 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:14 am

Looks great so far!
phyzix5761

Score: 18 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:15 am

Added some backstory to Night Knight, I have some comments in google docs, explaining or discussing some things. But I didn't add them in this, but it isn't fully necessary. But, give feedback on what you think of his story. Maybe if the any community members want to join the google docs version they can check it out. :D
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby Hblade » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:21 am

WOW thats a lot :) Fantastic man!
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:28 am

Thanks, I read a bit of it, and some of it seems a little repetitive just because I was trying to get all of my thoughts onto paper (digital paper) and I didn't read back right away to see if I had already stated something. But yeah, I think it turned out okay, I'm definitely willing to have some changes, and at least better word choice for certain parts. But thanks for checking it out! :)
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby Hblade » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:37 am

Ahh that happens a lot to people. You didn't happen to get that paper in the mail did you? We got a mail about something like that, where they say it's not good to multitask or w/e and like, you should write down your goals/ideas or something :) Well anyway, if you need a rope tutorial, (Following a rope): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11537
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:02 pm

I've created a new "Documenting of Night Knight" video. The video is on the first post, if you want to check it out. Enjoy! :D
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby lcl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:07 pm

Hey this game seems now even cooler than before, I like the new background a lot! Great work!

I think you should make the background move slower than the other things in the game, because it's far away.
That way it would seem more realistic. =)

Also, are you going to make the game to be like where the knight is jumping on top of buildings or are you gonna keep those blocks as platforms?
I think the buildings would be great, you could even make him able to climb their sides maybe with a rope!

Looking very good so far, the new video is also great. =)

Good luck to this project, man!

- lcl -
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Hey this game seems now even cooler than before, I like the new background a lot! Great work!

I think you should make the background move slower than the other things in the game, because it's far away.
That way it would seem more realistic. =)

Also, are you going to make the game to be like where the knight is jumping on top of buildings or are you gonna keep those blocks as platforms?
I think the buildings would be great, you could even make him able to climb their sides maybe with a rope!

Looking very good so far, the new video is also great. =)

Good luck to this project, man!

- lcl -

Hey, thanks for checking out the project again. I'm still in a "testing phase" with the background movement, the blocks as platforms, and other things. I definitely am not going to keep the blocks as platforms, I was thinking building as well. Also having some kind of scaffolding kind of thing, or walkways possibly in between buildings and stuff. And I like that idea to climb on the sides with rope, kind of like the old batman movie:

Batman Climbing

I was also thinking of the grapple gun, which would basically be a grappling hook that shoots from a laser gun :) . I'm actually working on the angles for that, because he should be able to shoot it in any direction. Yeah, I have to dedicate more time to this, I want this project to actually be finished eventually, and the sooner the better, as long as it's really good.
Last edited by happyjustbecause on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby JamesLeonardo32 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Here's an idea on programming a grapple hook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... n8Q#t=181s

It may be a little complicated, but its just a suggestion. I'm looking forward on what you make next. :)
JamesLeonardo32

Score: 36 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Here's an idea on programming a grapple hook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... n8Q#t=181s

It may be a little complicated, but its just a suggestion. I'm looking forward on what you make next.

That's a pretty cool grapple hook kind of thing. A lot like bionic commando's:

I would want something that can fire in all directions though. But maybe not, do you think it should be limited, because if it can fire in any direction, it may make the game too easy, or hard to make challenging or something of the sort. Maybe it should have limited shots? Nah, it would be strange picking up grappling hooks, and it may be required to pass certain parts, and then ammo would be an issue. Maybe I just have to make the levels arrangement of buildings and things suitable for the grappling hook.

Here's a video on how Batman Arkham City did the grappling hook "grapnel gun". Possibly I could do it this way, it kind of just has the ability to use it when there is a ledge a certain height away.

-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby happyjustbecause » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:37 am

Oh and, I just made a quick drawing video, which includes one of Night Knight at the beginning if someone is interested. It isn't fully Night Knight related, so I'm just going to embed it in this post.

Enjoy! :D
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby JamesLeonardo32 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:25 am

You can shoot the hook in all directions in Mega Turrican, though its probably just not shown. All i can suggest is try it out as an unlimited weapon in all directions, if it makes things too easy - make it more limited.
JamesLeonardo32

Score: 36 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:42 pm

JamesLeonardo32 wrote:You can shoot the hook in all directions in Mega Turrican, though its probably just not shown. All i can suggest is try it out as an unlimited weapon in all directions, if it makes things too easy - make it more limited.

I think that is what I'll do. I think once I get this added to the game, it will really add a lot of playability, and fun to the game. It will make Night Knight a lot more agile feeling.
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

Postby master0500 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:49 am

happyjustbecause wrote:Oh and, I just made a quick drawing video, which includes one of Night Knight at the beginning if someone is interested. It isn't fully Night Knight related, so I'm just going to embed it in this post.

Enjoy! :D

what program did yo use?
Amazing art
master0500

Score: 27 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:33 pm

master0500 wrote:what program did yo use?
Amazing art

I use Sketchbook Pro for the drawing, and screenflow for the screen capturing. Thanks for liking the video! I try to make those every once and a while. I find it really cool to see the drawings unravel themselves at 2000%. =D

And now I must share another video... now that I feel it may receive positive feedback :D .

Don't know how you feel about the music I include in these videos, but I like older music obviously, and The Doors is my favorite band, so I had to add it.
-Carl Sagan

happyjustbecause

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development