ISO Experiment

Post here your demos and examples with the source files.
Forum rules
Always post the games with a screenshot.
The file must have the ged and data files (complete game source)
Use the forum attachment to post the files.
It is always better to use the first post to put the game files

ISO Experiment

Postby GrimmDingo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:14 pm

It's basic i didn't spend much time on it yet was mainly dabbling with the idea, and since i've been working on a proper collision solution, feel free to expand modify and that's a screen of the new collision masks i worked briefly on, if i find time i'll expand upon it
Attachments
new iso collision.png
ISO_TEST.zip
(436.58 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
GrimmDingo

Score: 7 Give a positive score

Re: ISO Experiment

Postby Camper1995 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:18 pm

Wow dude this is awesome idea! Have you made these sprites by yourself? Because i love them. Great great! ;)
Say hello to my little friend.
Camper1995

Score: 44 Give a positive score

Postby GrimmDingo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:30 am

Camper1995 wrote:Wow dude this is awesome idea! Have you made these sprites by yourself? Because i love them. Great great! ;)

thanks, and Yep all graphic assets where created from scratch specifically for this, they were rather rushed, so i made them simple stylized and readable. No reference was used either. i winged the tree too, it turned out ok, the wireframe effect could easily be edited out, it was used as a placement aid, but it might lend itself to the feel and aid player movement if it stays grid based, i've been thinking about ways of programming jumping and it kinda requires 3d math to some degree, it'd end up being like landstalker on the genesis (or megadrive as it was known here), but that'd take alot of time to get that working, oh and btw i forgot to mention in my OP that space can be used to open chests
GrimmDingo

Postby Game A Gogo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:57 pm

GrimmDingo wrote:
Camper1995 wrote:Wow dude this is awesome idea! Have you made these sprites by yourself? Because i love them. Great great! ;)

thanks, and Yep all graphic assets where created from scratch specifically for this, they were rather rushed, so i made them simple stylized and readable. No reference was used either. i winged the tree too, it turned out ok, the wireframe effect could easily be edited out, it was used as a placement aid, but it might lend itself to the feel and aid player movement if it stays grid based, i've been thinking about ways of programming jumping and it kinda requires 3d math to some degree, it'd end up being like landstalker on the genesis (or megadrive as it was known here), but that'd take alot of time to get that working, oh and btw i forgot to mention in my OP that space can be used to open chests

Try having an actor that collides, and an actor parented containing the animations, so then you can have the animation jump while you are still colliding where you must, if and you are moving to a place that you can jump over, simply allow movement around the peak of the jump and make him not jump directly and move him upwards so he aligns from the jump!
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby GrimmDingo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:01 am

Game A Gogo wrote:Try having an actor that collides, and an actor parented containing the animations, so then you can have the animation jump while you are still colliding where you must, if and you are moving to a place that you can jump over, simply allow movement around the peak of the jump and make him not jump directly and move him upwards so he aligns from the jump!

yeah i'm working on the collider which the character graphic is parented to, the collision mask is the only thing visible in the pic in my OP, and i hadn't thought of that way of jumping and it's the simplest, i was thinking complex ie moving the sprite up and then down in an ark whilst calculating it's relativety to the terrain which is unnecessarily complicated,
so it'd need me to have an animation that has greater height and the sprite jumping animation would give illusion of depth on the z axis, it might need to be realigned to parent actor and reverted post animation? i've come across similar issues already due to the position of sprites being calculated from the left top most corner

i'm also working on a height value, each tile has a height and it applies a y offset to the player when he steps on them he is aligned, it's required when jumping from say a 2 heigh block to the ground, and with a jumping solution as you've described it should work well.
GrimmDingo

Postby rykein » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:06 am

woah pretty cool. the shadows are a bit weird though. also some of the movement around the cliff messus up.
rykein

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby GrimmDingo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:09 am

rykein wrote:woah pretty cool. the shadows are a bit weird though. also some of the movement around the cliff messus up.

lol i just figured out what you meant by shadows, because there there are no shadows, i just opened it, and saw what you meant it's it's due to having an indexed palette on the image, i did it to all images in the data folder just before i uploaded to shave off a few kb, the irritating thing is it has an alpha too, it shouldn't do that, and no other tile is effected besides the cliffs, but as far as i can tell ge decides to choice topleft pixel as the alpha colour, i just tried adding magenta as alpha placing it at index 0 on the palette and remove the images alpha layer (which is a method i've used without a hitch in other non ge endeavours), but strangely i open up and it was solid, i reopened and it was transparant, and after doing that a few times it doesn't have a pattern like game editor is randomly deciding which colour is alpha (topleft or index0) easy fix would be to open up the image in an image editor like photoshop paint.NET or GIMP or something that you can switch the image to rbg (i suggest those programs because they have alpha transparency support)

and secondly the cliff face is only meant to be approached from below, i'm aware what happens whilst you are up there but you're not meant to, i've overhauled the collision system anyway

on another note i'm having to overcome a hurdle with collision while jumping, i think it can be easily solved by putting,
if (jumping==1) {
CollisionState("Event Actor", DISABLED)
on the collisiontiles and ofcourse revert it otherwise, i'll test it later, can't now got to do something.
GrimmDingo

Postby Game A Gogo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:39 am

Well this got me going on a "little" project of mine. And though I'd share an idea with you for the collision. Since I want good use of height system and slopes, I'll have to implant a 3D collision system.
So the position of actors will be transformed into pseudo 3D coordinates and so will be the map. So then you simply need to call a function that returns where the player can move. Each tile will be a different actor (Since I will have a level editor elsewhere and a level generator that generates level from files) and so only need a 1pixel big collision to detect on which tile you're on in the "3D" grid.
I will also have 3D placement system for objects later on in the level editor :)

Also unlike yours, I plan to make mine with more free-movement (Not grid-based) since it's gonna be a fighting/shooting/adventure game with several different elements (Like a bit of RPG).
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Postby GrimmDingo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:29 am

Game A Gogo wrote:Well this got me going on a "little" project of mine. And though I'd share an idea with you for the collision. Since I want good use of height system and slopes, I'll have to implant a 3D collision system.
So the position of actors will be transformed into pseudo 3D coordinates and so will be the map. So then you simply need to call a function that returns where the player can move. Each tile will be a different actor (Since I will have a level editor elsewhere and a level generator that generates level from files) and so only need a 1pixel big collision to detect on which tile you're on in the "3D" grid.
I will also have 3D placement system for objects later on in the level editor :)

Also unlike yours, I plan to make mine with more free-movement (Not grid-based) since it's gonna be a fighting/shooting/adventure game with several different elements (Like a bit of RPG).

that sounds like exactly what i wanted, but was wary about the idea because of my inexperience, and btw the gridmovement was temporary, i could keep it to some extent, so it steps over tiles at a certain rate with animations but is incremental by factors of the grid, but i began thinking i might as well use free movement, one thing that made me use grid movement in that example was to do with detecting if you're in front of the chests and other objects, due to collision events failing to register if collide state is disabled, so it's a co-ordinate based detection at the moment, but i'll have a sensor that detects the players within range by using a square region relative to the interactible items origin, to some extent it's what i did to detect when you are at the sides of the screen to initiate smooth scroll, the bonus of free movement is it is easy to synchronize the character speed so he can never leave the bounds of the view actor. I've also wondered how to handle slopes.
So have you you got any of your project prototyped? I'll be interested to see how you handle the pseudo 3d calculations, and whether you can use a simulated Z height to simulate gravity and the calculation of the jumping mechanism.
And i really want to learn how to create a level editor, i haven't seen any examples in ge so far,
If you're pro collaboration i'd gladly team up with you, even if i'm relegated to the doing majority artwork and testing
GrimmDingo

Postby Game A Gogo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:03 am

If you need reference to a "powerful" level editor: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8832

otherwise if you want more of an introduction: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10017

Also I haven't made any prototype of this collision system, I don't think anytime soon either ):
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Postby SuperSonic » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Wow, this is very nice. I'm impressed :shock:
You should make it to where the player moves more smoothly though :wink:
A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.

Want to use your joystick or controller with Game Editor? Check out my controller engine =D
SuperSonic

Score: 72 Give a positive score

Return to Game Demos