[Forum Project #1] Steam Run Design Document

Subforum dedicated to discussing group projects.

Re: [Forum Project #1] Steam Run Design Document

Postby skydereign » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 am

sonicforvergame wrote:how about acid replacing water
Making a machine that produce a acid barrier
To kill it you destroy a button that create the acid barrier and Stuff the machine with bullets and explosion ,that should be cool

You're worrying about approval too much. This is a creative process. Just do what you think would be cool, show it. We can then discuss what works, what doesn't, and the fact that you showed an actual image may spark new ideas. So if you think it would be cool, draw it. It may be that we won't end up using it, but that shouldn't be a reason not to make it. It's faster that way, and we'll get a better end product.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby sonicforvergame » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:06 am

No problem i will update any finished project when i finish them
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Score: 10 Give a positive score

Postby sonicforvergame » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:41 pm

UPDATE 1:
BOSS 1:ACID Revelation

SO as it's name says its a boss that is based on acid.For the steam punk part ,the monster have bionic arms that create an acid shield around him
So basicly this is my first attempt it will need some or a lot of work but this is it's main idea

STATS: POWER:1-can use his full bionic arm to clash the opponent
2-can use his acid and bionic arm to throw acid on the opponent
3-Can throw acid balls from it's mouth on the opponent

Defense: 1- use his own acid body to destroy any bullets (but not explosives)
2-Use his acid shield

HOW TO DEFEAT: 1-destroy his full bionic arm so he can't create his acid shield
2-throw a lot of explosives and only explosives to destroy his inner body
3-When unconscious because of all the pain he endured throw a bazooka or missile on his head to smash his brain

SCREENSHOT OR IMAGE:
Boss1.png
Boss1.png (51.14 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Postby moonforge » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:33 pm

WOW. I am really impressed by the content added so far.
The story line and art really seems to be coming along. Oh, and I was wondering if I could jump on and help with this project. I would probably do some minor coding and help with ideas and game concepts. You don't have to let me in, but still, I like everything that seems to be going on so far.

~moonforge
http://wannowandrichardsgames.weebly.com/

"You don't have to win to be a winner. You just have to pretend to be better than everyone else."

+ 1 please?
moonforge

Score: 8 Give a positive score

Postby sonicforvergame » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Man i thought you were going to say something about my ACID MONSTER :mrgreen:
Anyway this isn't to me to decide you should wait till Skydereign answer
Until then be patient he will sure answer back :)
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Postby skydereign » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:40 pm

moonforge wrote:Oh, and I was wondering if I could jump on and help with this project. I would probably do some minor coding and help with ideas and game concepts. You don't have to let me in, but still, I like everything that seems to be going on so far.

We'll take pretty much any help we can get. I've put you down for programmer and concept.

sonicforvergame wrote:SO as it's name says its a boss that is based on acid.For the steam punk part ,the monster have bionic arms that create an acid shield around him
So basicly this is my first attempt it will need some or a lot of work but this is it's main idea

How is it an acid glob monster? I feel we shouldn't just aim for parts that are steampunk like, but rather things that are steampunk. Of course we don't need to bind ourselves that completely, but sticking to a single environment will help with player immersion.

I like the idea of acid waste being used, even if it isn't usually seen in steampunk. This boss could be the weaponization of a new form of waste created by the regime's tests into new technologies. So in that light, the boss would be far more mechanical, but could have similar powers.
skydereign

Postby moonforge » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:59 pm

sonicforvergame wrote:Man i thought you were going to say something about my ACID MONSTER :mrgreen:
Anyway this isn't to me to decide you should wait till Skydereign answer
Until then be patient he will sure answer back :)

:lol: Sorry 'bout that!
I do like the idea, and I think a lot of work will have to be put into bosses if we want them above the bar quality.

I was thinking about how to have us start out the game, besides a start menu. I was thinking of something like this: we have the main character, and he's in this abandoned steampunk lab or an alley or something like that. He has no weapons, and we introduce the storyline (still working on how to introduce it). Then some robots or the 'bad guys' come in, and we introduce how to fight, or something like that. The main character then goes onward to create his first tool, like one of those pictures I saw in the earlier posts. I really like the idea of making tools. Then, he gets into the main game. We could still have an instructions screen in the main menu or something in case they forget.

Please comment so I know if this is a good idea.

"You don't have to win to be a winner. You just have to pretend to be better than everyone else."

+ 1 please?
moonforge

Postby skydereign » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:10 pm

moonforge wrote:I was thinking about how to have us start out the game, besides a start menu. I was thinking of something like this: we have the main character, and he's in this abandoned steampunk lab or an alley or something like that. He has no weapons, and we introduce the storyline (still working on how to introduce it). Then some robots or the 'bad guys' come in, and we introduce how to fight, or something like that. The main character then goes onward to create his first tool, like one of those pictures I saw in the earlier posts. I really like the idea of making tools. Then, he gets into the main game. We could still have an instructions screen in the main menu or something in case they forget.

We were thinking that we'd want the game to start straight into game play. At least give the player taste of combat, before really introducing much story. We'd do this by simply making the enemy really look like the enemy, perhaps a person yelling for help. I believe the idea was you start as your city is invaded. That means you'd have at least one gun. Of course there will have to be some sort of short mention of the controls, but I think at this stage we only need to tell them three things, movement, jump, and how to shoot. After you escape into the underground tunnels, other refugees can tell you a bit of the back story, and what was happening. That suddenness would help reflect the feelings of the player, who essentially just woke up to find robots invading.
skydereign

Postby moonforge » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:24 pm

skydereign wrote:We were thinking that we'd want the game to start straight into game play. At least give the player taste of combat, before really introducing much story. We'd do this by simply making the enemy really look like the enemy, perhaps a person yelling for help. I believe the idea was you start as your city is invaded. That means you'd have at least one gun. Of course there will have to be some sort of short mention of the controls, but I think at this stage we only need to tell them three things, movement, jump, and how to shoot. After you escape into the underground tunnels, other refugees can tell you a bit of the back story, and what was happening. That suddenness would help reflect the feelings of the player, who essentially just woke up to find robots invading.

I like that. The alternative is making it like some other games and give them NO instructions, but that is probably not a good idea in a spontaneous game. Another idea that I had is that our character has this friend on the 'black market' who is basically the shop guy.

+ 1 please?
moonforge

Postby sonicforvergame » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:40 pm

skydereign wrote:
moonforge wrote:Oh, and I was wondering if I could jump on and help with this project. I would probably do some minor coding and help with ideas and game concepts. You don't have to let me in, but still, I like everything that seems to be going on so far.

We'll take pretty much any help we can get. I've put you down for programmer and concept.

sonicforvergame wrote:SO as it's name says its a boss that is based on acid.For the steam punk part ,the monster have bionic arms that create an acid shield around him

How is it an acid glob monster? I feel we shouldn't just aim for parts that are steampunk like, but rather things that are steampunk. Of course we don't need to bind ourselves that completely, but sticking to a single environment will help with player immersion.

I like the idea of acid waste being used, even if it isn't usually seen in steampunk. This boss could be the weaponization of a new form of waste created by the regime's tests into new technologies. So in that light, the boss would be far more mechanical, but could have similar powers.

How about a machine a real machine with wheels and guns and stuff that you have to destroy and in it you will find a Bionic man with acid arms

I thought that we should just invert the idea, so we go from a acid monster with bionic arms, to a bionic man with acid arms And to complete the idea make a vehicle with guns that the bionic man control

I will make sure to do an image as soon as i can
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Postby skydereign » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:53 pm

sonicforvergame wrote:How about a machine a real machine with wheels and guns and stuff that you have to destroy and in it you will find a Bionic man with acid arms

I don't think you understand what I mean. How does he have acid arms? If he had some contraption that gave him the ability to shoot acid, that would be fine. My main issue is things shouldn't be too paranormal. And I think most robotic enemies will have people in them. Only a few automated machines will have been created at the beginning of the story. I prefer the acid to be used by the machine that the human inside operates. I feel if you do it the other way, we are just putting one boss within another boss, which to me admits that the first boss simply wasn't cool enough, or hard enough.
skydereign

Postby sonicforvergame » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:26 pm

oooh that become too complicated, and you are right the game shouldn't be too paranormal
i think i will stick with a normal robot
I like the acid concept because of the green color and destructiveness but i think that the new robot will just have green fluid that is his main energy resource (don't mind how, it's just some liquid but with a high dose of electron so it give a powerful current )

I will start working on this after you tell me what you think of it
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Postby Jagmaster » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:53 am

lcl wrote:Jagmaster: your modelling looks awesome! I don't know which of the graphical styles you've suggested is the best, but I do know that most of them look great. :)

GEuser: Nice work with that elevator, you're making good progress with this game!

Overall I want to say that this is really an important project for Game Editor and that we have to make sure that it gets completed.
What GE needs is publicity, and what this game can offer GE, is publicity! We just have to give our best to making it.
You guys are doing amazing job so far, so keep it up! And when you get tired, keep a little break, relax, and gain some strength to continue and then get back to work!

I am a person with difficulties on concentrating into on thing and getting things done.
But I have decided that this time I am not going to give up or let go of the project. I will make the dialog engine and
after I get it finished, I will see if there is something more I can do.

I want to know of any progress you make on the game, so when you get something done or plan on doing something, post here,
it will encourage all other developers to continue their work! :)

Have a nice time developing Steam Run!!

Well put- you have fun developing that dialog engine!

Well, about a week ago I found this software called Alchemy which is a minimalistic drawing app, perfect for noodling out silhouettes. With it I sketched out a few concept pieces for possible enemies. They were really just for fun, but I thought they could be developed further if someone wants to. We really need as many sketches as possible to pin down the theme/atmosphere.

Baddie_03.1.png
A spider assassin / spy. Lethal slicing claws. They would have the ability to crawl up walls and stuff.
Baddie_01.1.jpg
Maybe just a ruffian. Definitely aligned with the overlords, - unless you are somehow able to bribe him.
He is either a cyborg or completely robotic.

Regarding acid: I think the monster is neat actually. Not fitting for the steampunk theme, but still pretty neat. To expand on the acid idea, maybe there is some kind of corrosive substance that generates electricity? Maybe it powers the city and the "guardian" will be able to take full advantage of it's power (with an acid blaster maybe). If you were to find a way to repel that acid, that "somewhat" normal boss would become disfigured melt a little (think Two-Face from Batman), and then gain the full power of the acid. His attack power would then increase. It's essentially turning him into a super boss, making it climactic without making it too paranormal. He wouldn't be made of acid. Only affected by it perhaps?

Regarding the opening scene: Could the father be playable in the opening scene? Guns-a-blazing defending his family/town/village/stuff/cake. The Narrator/protagonist would be not very old (anywhere form 10 - 16) and would witness his father being taken away. We could then introduce some backstory clips - boy grows up, maybe he has an occupation, then he gets word that his father is alive and held captive by the overlords. *hinthint this is the Call to Adventure! in the The Hero's Journey*

The hero's father would have over the years become brainwashed from a patriot-like person to a brain-slave for Big brother.

Speaking of bb, I'll see if I can think of some possible names for that him and his organization.

Most of this should have prolly gone to the story thread. Mybad.
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby sonicforvergame » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:46 am

Well Jagmaster's idea is quite cool
Making a city powers by a monster that secrete (can normally produce) acid is quite cool but the protagonist of the game come to steal the acid monster so He become a half man have acid protagonist

Wile i am saying acid man i don't mean that he is naturally and only acid i mean that the Men that absorbed or took the gene from the acid monster,
can now secrete (produce and trow out of his body) acid
Now this Should be a final boss because a normal boss shouldn't be so paranormal
for normal bosses and enemies we use normal cyborg or real soldier
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Postby skydereign » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:29 am

We shouldn't stray too far from the genre of the game. I am extremely sure I do not want the player to gain the genetic structure of an acid monster. Having acid powers by emitting stuff isn't very run 'n gun, and even less to do with gadgetry. Acid weapons on the other hand would be great. One could be like a flamethrower, but uses a corrosive mist. Another simply melts through metal. It could also be contained as another power source, that the player can choose from.

Another thing, the final boss of this game would have to match with the story too. And so far we've been going with a big brother type dystopian society. So presumably your final confrontation would be against the leader of the regime, big brother. And I don't think big brother should be an acid monster that powers the city.

Jagmaster wrote:Maybe it powers the city and the "guardian" will be able to take full advantage of it's power (with an acid blaster maybe). If you were to find a way to repel that acid, that "somewhat" normal boss would become disfigured melt a little (think Two-Face from Batman), and then gain the full power of the acid. His attack power would then increase. It's essentially turning him into a super boss, making it climactic without making it too paranormal. He wouldn't be made of acid. Only affected by it perhaps?

Why would you be fighting this guardian? I think having a boss that utilizes acid is a nice idea, as long as it isn't a monster.
skydereign

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Projects