Pong Tournament

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Re: Pong Tournament

Postby skydereign » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:49 pm

NightOfHorror wrote:not only the player gets a PongPoint gone if they lose?

Explain this then. If it isn't a global variable, then why can't you use the same code? The individual actors don't own PongPoint, so just have it when a player loses, reduce PongPoint. You are probably over thinking this, because this is at the level of being too simple for me to really be able to explain (especially without knowing what you did). If you want, I'm on the .net site's chat.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:38 am

if its under global code, it is global variable? How will I even do the transitions, am I not giving enough info.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:46 am

If you want an answer that applies to your game, then yes you are not providing enough information. If you set it up with clones and a score array, you could use that to monitor which ones one, and that would be pretty easy. From there it would create the appropriate victory/defeat text. But since you already have put something in place, if you want help fixing it, we need to know more about it. Where and how is the game supposed to detect that a player lost? What is it supposed to do when the player has lost?
skydereign

Postby NightOfHorror » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:16 am

The player lost when they got ten points. This means that the view will not transition to their winning background and text when there is only one man standing. If he loses, also PongPoint subtracts a point from its total. If you need a ged, I will give one, and I do over think stuff. I experimented with a few more theories and still failed, so I am trying. Maybe I am getting desperate for an answer and am not thinking clearly. :oops:
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Postby skydereign » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:21 am

That sounds about as backwards a way to do this as it can get. Essentially you are trying to prevent the view from moving to a paddle that has lost. You should really just move to or create the victory screen of the paddle that won. Looking at an actual ged would help me to figure out what you are thinking.
skydereign

Postby NightOfHorror » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:22 am

okay, I will pm one in a few minutes or so.
NightOfHorror

Postby NightOfHorror » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:43 am

I am technically done. Now, it will move view to winning background when he is last one standing, but won't move when the others are last one standing.
NightOfHorror

Postby skydereign » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:54 am

Can't you just use the same code you used to make the view move when the player wins? Just fit it for the other paddles.
skydereign

Postby NightOfHorror » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:21 am

I did, but I have another idea, if this goes down the drain.
NightOfHorror

Postby NightOfHorror » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:54 pm

That other idea failed and this is the deadline. Time to work.
NightOfHorror

Previous

Return to GE - General