Tiles vs Actor Clones

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Tiles vs Actor Clones

Postby 8bitsdeep » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:22 am

I'm creating a top-down game with randomly generated terrain. Initially I made an actor for each type of tile (tree, road, water, etc.) and then cloned those actors and moved them into the proper positions via the script editor as needed to create the map.

However, I just saw this page (http://game-editor.com/Tiles) and it caught my eye, especially the lower cpu usage part. Some of my tiles need to be actors for gameplay purposes, but several of them are purely cosmetic and might benefit by being considered lower cpu usage "tiles" by Game Editor.

My question is, is there a way to designate an actor as a tile and move and copy it with the script editor or are tiles only used when painted by hand with the editor? I'm not having cpu usage problems yet but I'd like to keep it down as much as possible so I have room to grow if needed.

Thanks!
8bitsdeep

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: Tiles vs Actor Clones

Postby Game A Gogo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 am

unfortunately, tiles can only be designed by hand in the editor. You cannot generate tiles from script so if you have a level editor or something of the sort, the only way to be able to have dynamic tile levels is through cloned actors. It would be a really great feature to have script-editable tile actors!
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Return to GE - General