Sword in GE..?

Non-platform specific questions.

Sword in GE..?

Postby BlenderFreak » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:58 pm

So I know how to make my character shoot, and that's all well and good - but for a medieval game in which the PC has a sword... that doesn't help me out so much. I haven't found any decent tutorials (maybe I'm just not looking hard enough) on this topic, so does anyone know how I can make a working sword for my PC, set so that ONLY the sword itself will do damage to enemies as opposed to an enemy touching the entire character when the key down event for that attack is active? Also set so that the sword will vanish when the key is released, and appear when it is pressed down, following the motions of the character (unless the sword and the PC all need to be one "animation" image as opposed to the sword being a separate actor.
The game I'm working on, called The Nightmare Sword is 2D with a 3D effect, which requires a lot of sprite sheets for just a single character. So I'd prefer to know whether or not I need the sword to be a part of the actor before I actually create the actor and the script for the sword. ;) Otherwise that's a lot of wasted time if I create a sprite sheet that I don't need or can't use.
So if anyone knows how to make a sword operate properly in the GE, that would be really great! Thanks a ton!
-BlenderFreak
There's not much there yet, but you can find information on my current projects here.

https://sites.google.com/site/darkst3am/
BlenderFreak

Score: 2 Give a positive score

Re: Sword in GE..?

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:24 pm

I hope this is helpful. I can only help in one thing though.
Create two actors.
One called sword, and one called player
So pretty much make the actors separate because if you make one big actor then player will also receive actions
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby BlenderFreak » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:04 pm

haha yes, but the problem is that I need the sword to follow the character in a more complicated pattern than simply being parented and then appearing. There will more than likely be several different attacks and such. But thanks, man ;)
There's not much there yet, but you can find information on my current projects here.

https://sites.google.com/site/darkst3am/
BlenderFreak

Score: 2 Give a positive score

Postby TSO » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:35 pm

TSO

Score: 4 Give a positive score

Return to General