Collision & Physical Response Issues

Non-platform specific questions.

Collision & Physical Response Issues

Postby plinydogg » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:08 pm

Good morning!

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with collisions/physical responses recently? All the action in the game I'm working on takes place in a walled-in field, off which everything needs to either bounce or be destroyed. As it happens, about half of the bullets fired from my main actor bounce appropriately, while the other half go through the wall. Similarly, if enemies are moving quickly and hit a wall, they usually go through it.

Everything works fine at low velocities (using the default physical response values), but what little tweaking I've done to the physical response values doesn't seem to be helping.

I think I read somewhere on the forums that before physical response was added in Version 1.1, people accomplished the same thing using xvelocity and yvelocity (and geometry/trigonometry). Is this still the only way to get things to bounce successfully?

Thanks,

Plinydogg
plinydogg

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:20 pm

You can try use more thicker walls
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby plinydogg » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:26 pm

Interesting idea! I'll try it and report back here in a little while....

Thanks for your quick response!
plinydogg

Postby plinydogg » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:26 pm

I tried making the walls thicker and it worked a little bit, but I decided to just try to workaround needing to use it as much as possible.
plinydogg

Return to General