A Super Metroid analysis that may help you

Game Editor comments and discussion.

A Super Metroid analysis that may help you

Postby NightOfHorror » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:57 am

I don't know how many of you have played Super Metroid, or even really know anything about it, but it is considered one of the best games of all time, and definitely a top game for the SNES. I like this analysis, and while I haven't truly played it, this seems like a very good article on level design. You see, I feel Super Metroid fits a game that still can be held as the example today of good level design- http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/HugoBill ... etroid.php

I hope you take the time to read this, it does spoil a few things about the game itself, so be warned. My favorite part is when it mentions the game holds your hand without you knowing it, and it won't admit it either, it wants you to feel like the master. Metroid can be used as a good example for any platformer/exploration game, with the way it works. Of course if you plan on making a Metroidvania styled game, then this will probably also be some help to you.

Hope you get something from this, even if you were a great programmer, maybe you feel your level design skills are behind what you want it to be.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Re: A Super Metroid analysis that may help you

Postby MiToVo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:05 am

Very cool article! Thank you for sharing.

The Metroid games have always been among my favorites. Even Metroid Prime managed to capture the same feel of the 2D ones, though Metroid and Super Metroid remain my all-time favorites in the series.
MiToVo

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:58 pm

Oh didn't even notice you posted, I just beat the original Metroid, besides the part where you have to start over with 30 health, it was really fun. I am playing them in chronological order, so now I have to find Zero Mission next since it falls in the timeline next.
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Postby Zivouhr » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:46 pm

Metroid's graphics, gameplay and style are great examples of a 2D platformer, side scrolling game. Nintendo did a great job with the game and like some of the recent Mario games, should return to the series in its side scrolling 2D format. Though I played Metroid on the NES, I owned a Genesis/Mega Drive and didn't get a chance to play Super Metroid, though I have seen the game in action and it looks great. I love the design of the characters, the sound effects and the game play, though it can get tough when multiple enemies attack you at once with bullets or while in the middle of a jump.

I remember back at the end of the Genesis and Super Nintendo 16 bit days, thinking "Why has the industry given up on the Genesis? I would have kept buying 2D side scrolling games if they kept making them." Reports from "The Ultimate History of Video Games" even suggested that the market was still eager for many more games, but Sega was more eager to push the 32X adapter and the Sega Saturn, which I avoided. I didn't get a new game system till 1999, the PS1, where they only 2D games were Rayman and fighting games for the most part it seemed.

It's been great these past number of years to see the resurgence of side scrolling 2D games. Though I don't own a Wii U, here's hoping Nintendo is developing a side scroller Metroid for their Wii U system, which I hear has picked up a little bit in sales thanks to Mario Kart 8. And while they're at it, create an all new Donkey Kong for the Wii U, but in the style of the original arcade game. The difference being, instead of repeating levels, have maybe 100 unique levels in one game instead of 4 or so.
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
Zivouhr

Score: 59 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:21 am

I'll definitely read this. I actually have yet to play Super Metroid, but I want to soo bad.

On a similar topic, here's a sequelitis vidjoe to watch about Megaman X, sort of another analytical thing.
Egoraptor does a good job of dissecting how the game itself taught you how to play, without needing a tutorial (like most modern games).

Video contains swears

Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:25 pm

Great contribution Jagmaster :)

By the way Zivouhr, actually Nintendo is planning on creating a 3d and a 2d metroid in the future, but I am here to tell you that Nintendo will more likely put the 3d metroid on the Wii U, and the 2d metroid for the 3DS, as typically the big 3d games go on the home consoles.

I suggest you pick up both the 3DS and the Wii U if you have the opportunity here, as the 3DS has plenty of good, traditional games, such as Pokemon, a 2D Mario which is NSMB2, and despite what people say about the NSMB, it is a stellar platformer that focuses on coins, so maybe not the best platforming a Mario game can give, but still good, it also has Ocarina of Time 3D, A Link Between Worlds (which I honestly like more than Ocarina of Time, shh, the Ocarina of Time legion may kill me if they find out, plus a Link Between Worlds is like A Link to the Past), and it has some more modern nintendo games, such as Super Mario 3D Land, arguably the best game on the system, definitely in the top 5, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, and Mario and Luigi Dream Team. Let's not forget Mario Kart 7 as well. Just remember that most likely if you are looking for 2d side-scrolling Metroid, the 3DS will probably have that one.

The Wii U on the other hand has plenty of good 2d games as well, Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, which is the sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns, and is like the original Donkey Kong Country games (in case you didn't know, I prefer small 2d levels, but if you love them long, DKC has some long levels for a 2d platformer, compared to Mario anyway), NSMBU, if you decide not to jump on the bandwagon, could arguably be the best 2d Mario game of all time, it is my favorite 2d mario (dear god, don't tell the SMB3, or SMW fans, or my head will be on a platter for sure). It also has plenty of good modern games such as Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Monster Hunter 3 U, and many more in the future such as Hyrule Warriors and ssb4 are coming soon. Let me tell you though, the Wii U has the e-shop, which as of now, is the only source of getting Metroid Fusion and in the future, Metroid Zero Mission since the 3ds doesn't have GBA games. The Wii U eshop also has Metroid, maybe Metroid 2, I can't remember, and Super Metroid. Other good games are Shovelknight, and I hear Pushmo World is good too. Most likely, this system will be used to its max to make an almighty 3d metroid.
NightOfHorror

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:18 pm

NightOfHorror wrote: The 3DS has plenty of good, traditional games,

Hey, are you getting super smash bros U? The smash bros series is brilliant and pac man is coming to the game! :)
knucklecrunchgames

Score: 17 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:17 am

I am getting the Wii U version of ssb4, yes. :D
NightOfHorror

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:31 am

NightOfHorror wrote:I am getting the Wii U version of ssb4, yes. :D

Cool! Tell me when are you getting it and whats it like.

I hope to get a wii U and ssb4 for christmas :D
knucklecrunchgames

Score: 17 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:40 pm

I will, I am going to try to get it release day. :)
NightOfHorror

Return to GE - General