My current project

Talk about making games.

Re: My current project

Postby 420foxbot » Tue May 05, 2015 10:30 pm

I'm by no means a professional programmer, but here's some advice.

Don't work in a cluttered environment.

Keep your source code in order, make it readable, if you want to go open source just push it to github, don't spend a week refactoring your code.
420foxbot

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Wed May 06, 2015 1:43 am

Lcl, please continue to develop Sabre with the spare time you have if it's a goal of yours. Thanks! 8)
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
Zivouhr

Score: 59 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Fri May 08, 2015 9:50 am

@Zivouhr: Thanks, I will continue to develop Sabre, it is one of my goals to finish it.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Sun May 10, 2015 1:38 pm

Too recap what is this game? Is it like a game where you look for clues to solve some kind of mystery?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:56 pm

Thank you.

As far as I know (until LcL refreshes) he actually had plans for the actual gameplay, but in the current stage of development the gameplay is more like.. inside demos.
That being said, now he can imply floor of sculls and/or other thematic decorations, which would be definitely outright regal wouldn't it be..
As SABRE's representative it is supposed to be regal after all. But a single thing I wonder..
Didn't you started the game BEFORE the level editor? That means you'll have to re-build this game, using the offi level editor this time?
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Sun May 10, 2015 4:28 pm

Turon wrote:Too recap what is this game? Is it like a game where you look for clues to solve some kind of mystery?

Well, there's not much done on the actual game, but I have the basic idea for the story and the gameplay figured out. It will be an adventure game with puzzle solving and things like that. I would say an atmospheric and not that fast-paced adventure exploration game. :)

bat78 wrote:But a single thing I wonder..
Didn't you started the game BEFORE the level editor? That means you'll have to re-build this game, using the offi level editor this time?

Yes, I started this before the level editor was even partly functional. And I also started this before I had the idea of making a template project for SABRE, so yes, I'll be redoing this basing it on the template project and building it to support the level editor. But most of the codes written for this can be copied, there really is not much done that would require a complete rewrite.
lcl

Postby Zivouhr » Sun May 10, 2015 8:50 pm

lcl wrote:
Turon wrote:Too recap what is this game? Is it like a game where you look for clues to solve some kind of mystery?

Well, there's not much done on the actual game, but I have the basic idea for the story and the gameplay figured out. It will be an adventure game with puzzle solving and things like that. I would say an atmospheric and not that fast-paced adventure exploration game. :)

Lcl, have you played some of the old classic dungeon crawling games, such as Bard's Tale? That was more slowly paced, and enemy encounters were determined by stats and turn based combat, mostly using text, and a picture of the enemy if I remember from back when I last played it. What games inspired you to begin to create this game? Thanks.
Zivouhr

Postby lcl » Mon May 11, 2015 12:18 pm

Zivouhr wrote:Lcl, have you played some of the old classic dungeon crawling games, such as Bard's Tale? That was more slowly paced, and enemy encounters were determined by stats and turn based combat, mostly using text, and a picture of the enemy if I remember from back when I last played it. What games inspired you to begin to create this game? Thanks.

No I haven't played any of the classic dungeon crawlers. In my childhood I played ps1. :D But I don't know, maybe I was somewhat inspired by original Wolfenstein 3D, I haven't played the game, but have tried some fan made clone of it, and seen videos and screenshots. The most inspiration for making this was born with Sabre, I'm not trying to replicate any other game, I'm trying to make this an original adventure. But atmospherically I would like to try something like the first Tomb Raider game, perhaps a little eerie atmosphere.
lcl

Postby Zivouhr » Mon May 11, 2015 11:48 pm

lcl wrote:
Zivouhr wrote:Lcl, have you played some of the old classic dungeon crawling games, such as Bard's Tale? That was more slowly paced, and enemy encounters were determined by stats and turn based combat, mostly using text, and a picture of the enemy if I remember from back when I last played it. What games inspired you to begin to create this game? Thanks.

No I haven't played any of the classic dungeon crawlers. In my childhood I played ps1. :D But I don't know, maybe I was somewhat inspired by original Wolfenstein 3D, I haven't played the game, but have tried some fan made clone of it, and seen videos and screenshots. The most inspiration for making this was born with Sabre, I'm not trying to replicate any other game, I'm trying to make this an original adventure. But atmospherically I would like to try something like the first Tomb Raider game, perhaps a little eerie atmosphere.

Yes, Wolfenstein 3D is a classic. Original adventures games are welcome. Tomb Raider would be something, though I imagine in a FPV compared to 3rd person.

Best success with the game's development. I find that working on a game for at least a half hour each day if there is time to spare, can really keep my motivation going. If I leave it alone for more than a week, then it's very tough to get back into at first.
Zivouhr

Postby lcl » Tue May 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Zivouhr wrote:Yes, Wolfenstein 3D is a classic. Original adventures games are welcome. Tomb Raider would be something, though I imagine in a FPV compared to 3rd person.

Yes, when I mentioned Tomb Raider I more meant the atmosphere of the game than the actual gameplay and game mechanics. You know, that feeling of going through unknown places not knowing what will happen. Most of the time all you can hear is the character itself walking/running, but yet you always know that behind the next corner can be anything. :D

Zivouhr wrote:Best success with the game's development. I find that working on a game for at least a half hour each day if there is time to spare, can really keep my motivation going. If I leave it alone for more than a week, then it's very tough to get back into at first.

Thanks. And yes, you've got a good point there, it really is easier to keep working if you don't have too long breaks.
lcl

Postby Zivouhr » Wed May 13, 2015 1:48 am

The atmosphere of Tomb Raider, along with the puzzles and traps would be awesome, agree. The newest Tomb Raider on PS4 was good, but they forgot about the giant tombs and only had a few tiny tombs per level.
Zivouhr

Postby koala » Wed May 13, 2015 7:33 am

Zivouhr wrote:The atmosphere of Tomb Raider, along with the puzzles and traps would be awesome, agree. The newest Tomb Raider on PS4 was good, but they forgot about the giant tombs and only had a few tiny tombs per level.
I am not familiar with Tomb Raider series, but I can imagine how big disappointment it was. I suppose Tomb Raider is all about exploring giant tombs, right? :mrgreen: If there are no giant tombs, then what are you supposed to do? :!: :?:
Phascolarctos cinereus
YouTube: Marko Radivojevic
Google+: Marko Radivojevic
koala

Score: 30 Give a positive score

Postby Zivouhr » Fri May 15, 2015 2:58 am

koala wrote:
Zivouhr wrote:The atmosphere of Tomb Raider, along with the puzzles and traps would be awesome, agree. The newest Tomb Raider on PS4 was good, but they forgot about the giant tombs and only had a few tiny tombs per level.
I am not familiar with Tomb Raider series, but I can imagine how big disappointment it was. I suppose Tomb Raider is all about exploring giant tombs, right? :mrgreen: If there are no giant tombs, then what are you supposed to do? :!: :?:

:mrgreen: That is a good point about the Tombs. Thankfully the game had lots of action and adventuring, but Tomb Raiding was kind of a side quest and the tombs were more like big rooms with a puzzle or two to solve compared to prior games, where the whole level used to be a giant tomb. I heard Rise of the Tomb Raider should be returning Lara to more Tombs.
Zivouhr

Previous

Return to Game Development