Limits?

Non-platform specific questions.

Limits?

Postby EvanBlack » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:51 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6935&p=49434&hilit=clone+limit#p49434

I went here and it stopped. So what are the limits? For some reason when I make so many clones in my map editor, the text thing, it just ends and no more are made. They all then disappear. I am going to go through my source to see if maybe I can change this but unless the problem is not a clone limit issue, then I won't be able to fix it without knowing how cloning works.
(\__/) ( Soon... The world)
(O.o )< will be mine!____)
(> < )
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bunny Overlord 2012!
EvanBlack

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Re: Limits?

Postby skydereign » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:57 am

Wasn't the entire point of your system to reuse actors? That way you only need enough to cover the screen, and then a little more. There isn't a cap to clones that you should ever be able to get to. By the time you get 20000 clones, your game is probably already slowing even if the clones are doing nothing. So, while I've never experienced a cap to the number of clones, my computer wouldn't be able to handle getting to the limit. Though, when creating clones in the editor (using the clone array) there is a limit of 128 clones per dimension, but if you clone again, you can have another 128.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Re: Limits?

Postby EvanBlack » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:53 am

Yeah... I didn't really think about it. I just meant how are they handled. And no I don't use clones in the display system, its just for the text which creates a clone and then destroys the old clone, but when I get to a certain amount of clones then it doesn't display anymore. Like It stops being able to create anymore. I have to just look at my script to see why that is.

I know that it can have over 20K clones but as I said, this just seems to happen with the way my map editor is displaying the text.
(\__/) ( Soon... The world)
(O.o )< will be mine!____)
(> < )
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bunny Overlord 2012!
EvanBlack

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Return to General