Null Objects and others

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

Null Objects and others

Postby silviotoledo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:44 am

Here some basic ideas if any developer wanna try:

I use to create wireframe regions to mark the places where some actors must be created or the center that view must follow.
Sometimes wireframe regions are difficult to manipulate. The hability to have a ONE CLICK creation of nulls ( a one point invisible actor ) would be interesting for doing such effects.

I also feel absent of a Renamer to organize things. Once actor is created we can't rename it.

A script and macro depot or a PLUGIN AREA that would work as PLUGINS would be also cool.
As example, if someone do an script for lazy motions ( will follow the parent motion but in a lazy way ) the script coul'd be attached to a new button or added to default actions in GED. This way we would have scripts done for CHARACTER ACTIONS, POINTS, SCORE, and other usefull things.
Silvio Toledo

e-mail: silviotoledo@yahoo.com.br
MSN: silviotoledo@hotmail.com
Site: www.stairs.com.br
silviotoledo

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: Null Objects and others

Postby DST » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:50 am

silviotoledo wrote:
I use to create wireframe regions to mark the places where some actors must be created or the center that view must follow.
Sometimes wireframe regions are difficult to manipulate. The hability to have a ONE CLICK creation of nulls ( a one point invisible actor ) would be interesting for doing such effects.

I use a normal actor for this; because i can load an animation with the word for the actor spawned; then in editor mode i can see which things are spawning where. I can also use animindex as the variable to determine which creature it spawns. And if you keep the same animation size, you can always drop actors 'on the ground'.

silviotoledo wrote:I also feel absent of a Renamer to organize things. Once actor is created we can't rename it.

I don't feel this is a big issue in programming.

silviotoledo wrote:A script and macro depot or a PLUGIN AREA that would work as PLUGINS would be also cool.
As example, if someone do an script for lazy motions ( will follow the parent motion but in a lazy way ) the script coul'd be attached to a new button or added to default actions in GED. This way we would have scripts done for CHARACTER ACTIONS, POINTS, SCORE, and other usefull things.

The script editor, using save/load really already does this. What a person would want to do is keep a script repository on their hard drive, for loading any type of function any time.

There has to be a standard for how functions are to work. Everyone writes their functions differently, and they won't just 'plugin' to any game. There has to be a very professional standard.

A universal function requires all variables to be input to the function; and only defines builtin variables in ge. However, this is very slow to work with - most of my functions change specific variables that must be added to the game before any of them work. However, i have no plan to change the way i write my functions, because when i need to set 10 different variables, it's too much work to return and use arrays of ints or such.

Everyone does it differently....perhaps everyone should zip up their favorite functions, and add it to a functions thread...then you could unzip them to folder by user name, and browse them at will.....
It's easier to be clever than it is to be kind.
http://www.lostsynapse.com
http://www.dstgames.com
DST

Score: 151 Give a positive score

Re: Null Objects and others

Postby jimmynewguy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:59 am

DST wrote:Everyone does it differently....perhaps everyone should zip up their favorite functions, and add it to a functions thread...then you could unzip them to folder by user name, and browse them at will.....

genius.
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Score: 89 Give a positive score

Return to Feature Requests