More (Better) Descriptive Documentation for GE?

Game Editor comments and discussion.

More (Better) Descriptive Documentation for GE?

Postby EvanBlack » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:53 am

I just wanted to know why the documentation for Game Editor isn't so well written and descriptive of each variable, function, button, ect.

I have been using GE for 3-4 days now. After reading the documentation I found the only piece worth even looking at was the "Scripting Reference" page of the documentation. Everything else is pretty much a dutch instruction booklet. Giving you the least amount of information possible just to get you started.

Luckily, I have a background in c++ so it made it a little easier to start using GE. But even with what I know I still have trouble understanding what certain things do without "feeling my way through the dark".

Using Game Editor is like being an explorer in a poorly lit dungeon and the documentation is like a crudely drawn map you bought from the shady guy in town...

So maybe... re-writing the documentation would probably be a good idea. Including EVERYTHING about GE plus some extra tid-bits.

Now... I don't know much about GE but I am quickly learning, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at writing this new documentation, exploring it like a map maker to a new land. But I would rather have a compiled list of what everyone knows about GE, from experience to general knowledge. I don't know about the rest of you, but the documentation leaves A LOT to be asked.

So anyone on-board with this idea?
(\__/) ( Soon... The world)
(O.o )< will be mine!____)
(> < )
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bunny Overlord 2012!
EvanBlack

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Re: More (Better) Descriptive Documentation for GE?

Postby skydereign » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:26 am

The reason why? Well there was only one developer for the first 7ish years of gE's existence. And English isn't makslane's first language(so naturally any documentation in English would be somewhat limited).

Now, naturally better documentation would be better, and if it were that easy, it would have been done already. I've been working on creating better documentation, but it takes time, not to mention the rest of my life. This goes for many other users on the forums. makslane set up the wiki so users can add to the overall knowledge of gE, but currently the forums are a better resource.

And, from my own experience, the script reference is all I really needed (with an occasional search on the forums). I know this applies only to very few users, but as for the actual gE part of making games, most of it is actually decently documented. There is a lot more that can be done to make learning a lot easier, but as I've said gE doesn't have a lot of people working to improve it. Also another problem gE tends to have is new users that don't know enough trying to teach and make tutorials. While the intent is good, and usually the tutorials themselves work, they can lead to misunderstandings.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby akr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:39 am

Thanks Sky for pointing that out. I want to strongly emphasize the tutorials included. Make sure you went through the space invaders and the platformer one. They run in the real user interface and give u a lot of background how ge works.

That was how I found my way through the darkness real quick.
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:36 am

We have today a much better documentation we have few years ago (thanks sky!)
But we need to keep the evolution of documentation. So, anyone thats know Game Editor is welcome to improve the documentation on the site :-)
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby EvanBlack » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Trust me ;). I've been through EVERY tutorial, most for me were broken. I have read through the documentation and am looking for more.

But thanks for the responses. I have a new problem now. This path finding is not so easy...
(\__/) ( Soon... The world)
(O.o )< will be mine!____)
(> < )
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bunny Overlord 2012!
EvanBlack

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Return to GE - General