Project Forbidden Words

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Project Forbidden Words

Postby NightOfHorror » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:47 am

In English Class, their is a list of words called the Forbidden Words. These words are not allowed to be used in literary analysis', and other professional pieces of writing. I was thinking of creating a program that contained the whole list of Forbidden Words, and allowing people to put their documents in the program, which will scan for any forbidden words. This will be the 1.0 version, 1.1 will allow users to also put in additional words, that their teacher/professor specifically Forbade them from using, which then it will scan for those words also, 1.2 will show you how many times you used a certain word if you insert it in, and 2.0 will allow for grammar checks, and spelling checks. (with a later update making sure you spelled a word right in context of what was written) A lot more updates are planned for the future, those are just the beginning.

The whole purpose of this was to show I am not dead, to show that I am indeed thinking of projects still, and to see if this was an idea worth pursuing.

Also, feel free to tell me if starting tournaments back up would interest you guys.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Re: Project Forbidden Words

Postby lcl » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:52 am

That sounds interesting. You should notice that the easiest way to make that would be to allow users to only input .txt-files, which contain no formatting, and aren't encoded, and therefore are relatively simple to read using GE's file functions. If you used .txt-files all the features you have planned for versions 1.0-1.2 would be simple enough to add after studying the file i/o functions of Game Editor.

The features you've planned for version 2.0 are not that simple anymore, at least I can't think of other ways of doing that than by listing pretty much every English word to the program's database.. Of course there may be some better ways, but that will no doubt be a lot of work.

NightOfHorror wrote:The whole purpose of this was to show I am not dead, to show that I am indeed thinking of projects still, and to see if this was an idea worth pursuing.

It's nice to see you're not dead :mrgreen:

NightOfHorror wrote:Also, feel free to tell me if starting tournaments back up would interest you guys.

It's kinda funny actually.. Literally the last time I thought about your tournaments and how they should be continued was today, about an hour ago :D So yes, I think you should continue organizing them. I've yet to win one, so, ... 8)
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Version 2.0 won't be coming for years. I would probably make an alpha version of it, with only a few words, just to see if it works, and also a few grammar rules, such as basic comma rules, capitalization rules, and maybe a few more.

I will take notice of the suggestions you said lcl

Also, I think a tournament can be in the works if you feel interested towards it, I only quit them when no one joins, but if even one person joins, then I think I fulfilled my job in these tournaments. :)
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Postby Hares » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:33 pm

NightOfHorror wrote:Also, I think a tournament can be in the works if you feel interested towards it, ...

I still have 2 2014 advantage passes.
Will I still be able to use them ... :P
Hares

Score: 14 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:01 am

Hares wrote:
NightOfHorror wrote:Also, I think a tournament can be in the works if you feel interested towards it, ...

I still have 2 2014 advantage passes.
Will I still be able to use them ... :P

Well, the year would be over, by default, you would be the 2014 champion because no one else won a tournament in 2014 that I can think of (that may be a lie, I forgot all the tournaments this year).
NightOfHorror

Postby Hares » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:11 pm

NightOfHorror wrote:... because no one else won a tournament in 2014 that I can think of (that may be a lie, I forgot all the tournaments this year).

If I remember correct there were 2 other winners.

NightOfHorror wrote:Also, feel free to tell me if starting tournaments back up would interest you guys.

I liked your tournaments, and would be interested to participate if you organize them again.

NightOfHorror wrote:The whole purpose of this was to show I am not dead, to show that I am indeed thinking of projects still, and to see if this was an idea worth pursuing.

Nice to see you are not dead. And good luck with completing this project :D
Hares

Score: 14 Give a positive score

Return to GE - General