Game Template - A GREAT WAY TO BEGIN YOUR GAME!!!

Post here your demos and examples with the source files.
Forum rules
Always post the games with a screenshot.
The file must have the ged and data files (complete game source)
Use the forum attachment to post the files.
It is always better to use the first post to put the game files

Game Template - A GREAT WAY TO BEGIN YOUR GAME!!!

Postby desertgamer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:13 am

This template is ready for use to begin the creation of your dreams. A whole code of basic things to start out with: JUMPING (and Double Jump!), CHECKPOINTS, GRADUAL MOVEMENT, TILES, DAMAGING ACTORS, ENEMIES, HEALTH AND POWER, BUTTONS, SHIELDS...

Examples are included. Download now and call it your own!

See the downloaded instruction file for more information!

geTemplate2_ex.gif

game_template2.zip
Game Template: UPDATED - Download
(292.97 KiB) Downloaded 654 times

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5918#p43055 - An idea for improving the template: Wiki style!
Last edited by desertgamer on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 9 times in total.
desertgamer

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Re: Game Template - A GREAT WAY TO BEGIN YOUR GAME!!!

Postby Kodo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:17 am

+1 point for a good contribution to the community :)

This sort of thing could make it much easier for new people to get going with game editor, if it's made easier for them to get going GE could become more popular! Maybe there should be a dedicated Templates section on the site? I realise that the Demos page kind of does this, but a section where Templates include some amount of help\documentaion may help new people alot. It can be hard to fathom how someone has done something by just looking at the ged in the editor, especially if your new to GE.

Just an idea.
Inogames: http://www.inogames.com iOS gaming
Firetop Adventure (app store): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firetop- ... ?mt=8&ls=1
Kodo

Score: 23 Give a positive score

Postby desertgamer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks for the comment! I suggest that we stick with the game demos for now, because it seems we do not have the necessary amount of templates to create a whole new forum to post them on. The Game Demos area lets people experiment with geds from one place. So I think (at the moment, anyway), that simply having a demos section where any genre could be posted is most suitable. :D

And here's some info on what motivated me to create the template: yet, it's all from a desire to do so...

When I first started using game editor, I became familiar with it's basic workings. From there I wanted to actually make and build entire levels. But why start from scratch? These sort of scripts for the basic game are already in existent elsewhere. So why does every individual seeking a game of their creation have to drag every individual script from scratch into their game? I found that just a waste of time, writing scripts that already exist. I find a true game be something unique, ideas that were built on from before.

Of course, with templates, you can do what people expect -- jump, obtain shields, possess hit points and power... have items such as those that increase score, and have enemies. From there you could go on and take root from the basics!

I'm have actually been basing my games on the older Sonic games, but with a style of my personality. I use ideas from those games, but happen to come up with my own while in the process of creation. I find that games would be essential with specific objects, like moving spikes or mines or swinging platforms. They can really add up the the creativity and enhance the games! Template plus creativity... that's what gets a game going!
Last edited by desertgamer on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do newbies want to experiment or get started right away? Take the source template:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6175
desertgamer

Postby desertgamer » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:36 am

Question: For those who have used this template, have you found any errors or unwanted complications? And how useful is it for the type of game you wish to create? I would welcome any replies of how this template is working out, and see if it can be improved for future users/games.
Do newbies want to experiment or get started right away? Take the source template:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6175
desertgamer

Postby sonicunleashed » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:23 pm

awsome can i use this for a template for my game saleck and nitro tanks :?: :) :)
sonicunleashed

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby desertgamer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:07 am

You could use it for anything you like! Don't even give credit. It is an honor to have people benefited! :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6175
desertgamer

Postby sonicunleashed » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:05 pm

tanks ill use for my sonic unleashed fangame to just for that ill give you double the credit :lol: 8) :D :D :D :D :D
sonicunleashed

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby BlarghNRawr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:51 am

cool...
wish i had this when i first started...

........Wait, I just did....
Download Game Music
current projects:
Bold! ?% Started mechanics
Unnamed puzzle game 60% --i need a name!--
BlarghNRawr

Score: 27 Give a positive score

Postby desertgamer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:29 pm

The template has just been updated! Many repetitive events have been eliminated, replaced by using variables that trigger the same event. In this way, the template is more flexible.

It has been simplified, yet still maintains absolute flexibility and control.

The player now flickers when in alpha state. An extra model enemy has been added, as well as the goUp and goDown enemy guides.

The manual has been significantly updated.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6175
desertgamer

Postby desertgamer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:33 am

I've been thinking... This template should be more of an open source thing, where everybody can pitch in to make the template better, to have more capabilities, to benefit people more when they use it -- like our Wiki.

It would be this: a person would "clock in" to take the template for improving for resubmission. Let the programming capabilities run wild! The person would share a part in the template's history, which other people will use to create their games. When one wants to submit it, they could message it for posting and "clock out" -- make it ready for the next person to add new layers of possibilities to it. And so it continues.

Or, for those scripting experts, we could provide codes (like the use of pen tools) inside the template download folder as a C file, where a user could be provided with instructions of it's usage and apply it to their own game. It could be the template's tool set!

What do you think of this? Game Editor would increasingly become more popular with something with vast possibilities to start out with!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6175
desertgamer

Postby pyrometal » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:53 am

Sounds like a good idea. Someone would have to manage it though, otherwise this will become chaotic and fall apart... If I'm to give anything, it'll probably be codes, lol. Let's see what other people think about the idea, and if they'll help.
SPRITE WARRIOR:
Free, open-source & crossplatform pixel art editor (currently under construction).
pyrometal

Score: 86 Give a positive score

Postby desertgamer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:08 am

I was planning to overlook this project to prevent any mishaps (yet, of course, I won't be there all the time). The one who would be currently working on the template could private message me about any comments associated with it... When done, they could send the template so it could be posted. (Hmm... maybe putting a credits list in chronological order would be a good idea... :) )
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6175
desertgamer

Return to Game Demos