independent canvas clones

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

independent canvas clones

Postby feral » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:18 pm

I am not sure if this has already been suggested...

however, what i would like to see is some form of independent canvas clones.
ie: clones of a canvas that can be manipulated in an array

( or some method of manipulating an array of individual canvas's - which i know can be done with coding but it would be nice to have an easy way...)

the main reason for this is that ( unless i have it wrong)... each canvas clone contains the same graphics as the original.. I would like to manipulate an array of cloned canvases that have individual "create" coding.

This would allow me to PRERENDER the draw_from function and have automatically scaled sprites.

example: warning : PSEUDO CODE :)

create canvas actor
// then in the create_actor of this canvas

use "draw_from" a sprite and "scale to [cloneindex * SIZE REQUIRED]" //size required is a variable to set the scaling

for i=1;i<= (number of scaled sprites required) ;i++ //say about 100 canvas clones
clone actor "canvas"
next

This would give me an array of 100 canvas clones with a sprite scaled from 1 * SIZE to 100 * size - all pre-rendered.

ie:
in clone.1 draw_from would scale at 1 * size required
in clone.2 draw_from would scale at 2 * size required
in clone.99 draw_from would scale at 99 * size required

note size required can be a fraction etc to scale downwards

as the code in each clone would create a scaled sprite from 1 to 100 in the "create" code, and therefore not have to use the draw_from function during runtime.

now... i know i can already do this by creating many many individual canvases, and i can manipulate them using hand made functions and things like fprint ... and i have, and it works so well that I would like to see a built in function...as it does get very messy :(

hope this makes sense

feral
feral

Score: 47 Give a positive score

Re: independent canvas clones

Postby Game A Gogo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:08 pm

Code: Select all
draw_from("Actor",x,y,cloneindex*Size);

I think something like that
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby feral » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:29 am

Game A Gogo wrote:
Code: Select all
draw_from("Actor",x,y,cloneindex*Size);

I think something like that

thanks GameAGoGo, but the problem is each cloned canvas writes the draw_from to every clone :( so every clone ends up looking the same..

see example attached..
clonecanvas.zip
(6.62 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

The idea would be to have each clone have a separate image all scaled from 1 to 100... drawn in the "create" stage, and then swap canvas's to create the illusion of scaling sprites, without using the draw_from function during runtime..
this would allow me to have hundreds of scaling sprites on the screen at the same time with no "hit" on performance as the draw_from function will slow the game down when it is used on many actors at the same time.

any idea's... or am i just doing it wrong :oops: :oops:

thanks
feral
feral

Score: 47 Give a positive score

Postby DilloDude » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:40 am

I think it's a bug with canvases. I'm having the same problem. When you draw on a canvas, all clones draw the same thing.
The other problem I'm having is that my canvases are quite large, and having 16 of them seems to slow the game down.
DilloDude

Score: 58 Give a positive score

Return to Feature Requests