[Forum Project #1] Steam Run Design Document

Subforum dedicated to discussing group projects.

Re: [Forum Project #1] Steam Run Design Document

Postby skydereign » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:05 am

happyjustbecause wrote:Maybe there can be a choice to join big brother and you start to get access to electricity more so than you would if you hadn't joined him? You start to see the other side of big brother's electricity powered army and the steampunk rebels. Just an idea, the thought of electric vs steampunk is kind of cool, and a choice presented would add replay-ability and offer so more to see. But I don't know if we want to start offering choices like that. It would be kind of non sensical to only have one choice and for the main character to suddenly fight for big brother, maybe it could be to save his family or something and if he doesn't join they will inevitably be killed in which he case he is just fighting for the rebels. Ehh, just brainstorming.

Yeah, we were discussing branching story either in this thread, or the thread that got us working on steam run. I'm definitely for branched story line. There are many possible branches I'd like, though we should move this discussion to the story thread.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby moonforge » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:53 am

Okay, I'm back from a wonderful vacation. :D Now let's get cracking.

I was busy thinking on what we should do for the antagonist, you know, the BAD GUY. I was thinking we could have this shadowy figure who's always leading the armies and robots and the mini-bosses, but you know that he's the main leader. You could just see his shadow, standing over a balcony. He could talk to the main character, too, using the dialogue thing that someone here was going to use. It would be dramatic and all that. Then, we could have a huge plot twist near the end where you find out that the shadow guy is really his long-lost dad or a cyborg or something crazy like that.

Lastly, I wanted to talk about collectibles. I checked the first post again and saw that an objective was some kind of collectibles that do not re-spawn in the level. I was considering having a bonus feature, like a mini-game within the game, where you build this machine, like an arcade game, for fun. To build it, you need to find the 'special part' hidden in each level. The part would be shining so the player could identify it. When you get all the parts, you unlock the mini-game, or whatever we want them to do on the side. I'm not sure if we want a new 'build-able' for each 'world', but it's something to consider. Finally, I was thinking that instead of coins, we should use spinning nuts. I said spinning just so we could get an animation. Think these things over, then reply back.
http://wannowandrichardsgames.weebly.com/

"You don't have to win to be a winner. You just have to pretend to be better than everyone else."

+ 1 please?
moonforge

Score: 8 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:32 pm

moonforge wrote:Then, we could have a huge plot twist near the end where you find out that the shadow guy is really his long-lost dad or a cyborg or something crazy like that.

Making your father the enemy it is too cliche. It no longer would be surprising, and for a lot of people it would detract from the story. We were thinking of making him one of the lead scientists for big brother, though either due to enslavement/hostage situation, or by brainwashing him. If we are going towards a more big brother like enemy, we could make one of the branches where you learn the shadowy figure that leads the rebellion is in fact big brother/one of his henchman. Though we should really switch this part of the discussion back to the story thread. http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12464

moonforge wrote:Lastly, I wanted to talk about collectibles. I checked the first post again and saw that an objective was some kind of collectibles that do not re-spawn in the level. I was considering having a bonus feature, like a mini-game within the game, where you build this machine, like an arcade game, for fun. To build it, you need to find the 'special part' hidden in each level. The part would be shining so the player could identify it. When you get all the parts, you unlock the mini-game, or whatever we want them to do on the side. I'm not sure if we want a new 'build-able' for each 'world', but it's something to consider. Finally, I was thinking that instead of coins, we should use spinning nuts. I said spinning just so we could get an animation. Think these things over, then reply back.

Having unique parts is a must. If we do have a little arcade, I think we should make the minigame pacman. I really liked how the spyro trilogy handled collectibles in levels, though I don't think the gems concept will quite be fitting in this kind of game (buying ammo, and the like). But having our game equivalent of three orbs, and a talisman in each level, will give more of a sense to explore each level. One thing about spinning nuts is we start moving closer and closer to ratchet and clank, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but if possible we'd like to make this feel pretty unique.
skydereign

Postby GEuser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:45 pm

skydereign wrote:
moonforge wrote:Then, we could have a huge plot twist near the end where you find out that the shadow guy is really his long-lost dad or a cyborg or something crazy like that.

Making your father the enemy it is too cliche. It no longer would be surprising, and for a lot of people it would detract from the story. We were thinking of making him one of the lead scientists for big brother, though either due to enslavement/hostage situation, or by brainwashing him. If we are going towards a more big brother like enemy, we could make one of the branches where you learn the shadowy figure that leads the rebellion is in fact big brother/one of his henchman. Though we should really switch this part of the discussion back to the story thread. http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12464

moonforge wrote:Lastly, I wanted to talk about collectibles. I checked the first post again and saw that an objective was some kind of collectibles that do not re-spawn in the level. I was considering having a bonus feature, like a mini-game within the game, where you build this machine, like an arcade game, for fun. To build it, you need to find the 'special part' hidden in each level. The part would be shining so the player could identify it. When you get all the parts, you unlock the mini-game, or whatever we want them to do on the side. I'm not sure if we want a new 'build-able' for each 'world', but it's something to consider. Finally, I was thinking that instead of coins, we should use spinning nuts. I said spinning just so we could get an animation. Think these things over, then reply back.

Having unique parts is a must. If we do have a little arcade, I think we should make the minigame pacman. I really liked how the spyro trilogy handled collectibles in levels, though I don't think the gems concept will quite be fitting in this kind of game (buying ammo, and the like). But having our game equivalent of three orbs, and a talisman in each level, will give more of a sense to explore each level. One thing about spinning nuts is we start moving closer and closer to ratchet and clank, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but if possible we'd like to make this feel pretty unique.

The mini games could be tasks or tests set by rebellion faction or as a part of overlord recruitment enrollment (this could be an alternative story branch = hero is double agent infilterating for rebellion). This way whether the player choices to side with rebellion or overlord (as a double agent, 007 with a sprocket gear, lol) it will be a way to include interesting side activities.
GEuser

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Postby kickstart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:55 pm

GEuser wrote:The mini games could be tasks or tests set by rebellion faction or as a part of overlord recruitment enrollment (this could be an alternative story branch = hero is double agent infilterating for rebellion). This way whether the player choices to side with rebellion or overlord (as a double agent, 007 with a sprocket gear, lol) it will be a way to include interesting side activities.

I totally agree. This would make the game way more fun.
kickstart

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby GEuser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi all! My oh my it's all got very activate all of a sudden. Good to see!

Welcome to the project lcl, sonicforvergame, moonforge and JetpackGrizzly.

ELEVATOR UPDATE
This 3D business is VERY time consuming process (don't know where you get the patience from Jag, lol). It's 99% complete just finishing touches like bevelling & smoothing to do then I have to start with the animations. Here's an exploded view of the component parts (now finalised):-

Not sure if I should bother smoothing it (parts of the holes and rings look ugly when this is done because I broke the cardinal rule of meshing: avoid T-junction type links in mesh. However, the ugly bit is hidden when other parrts overlap it (I'm being lazy, lol). Here's a comparision image:-

Here's some more views:

Gonna have a break from it and play catch up with all the new posts here, loads of replies to make ...
GEuser

Postby kickstart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:12 pm

What are you going to use 3D images with this game? How will you is a more appropiate question.
kickstart

Postby GEuser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:20 pm

JetpackGrizzly wrote:What are you going to use 3D images with this game? How will you is a more appropiate question.

The 3D is more for convenience. What we'll end up using is a flat 2d of a front profile or whatever (sides, top/bottom or any angle). The whole point is once all the harrdwork is done with the 3D model we can easily make amendments like color, texture, perspective, animations. Can you imagine having to do a 2d image each time you needed to do a different angle perspecttive or animation? So it's basically a time saving ploy. And of course you can do all the lighting / shading adjustment more easiy too.

[EDIT] It will be used to get around in the game. It can be easily re-sized. Check out the earlier (more) complicatted version with download demo. To see how it's animation would look but imagine this version as it's replacement.
Last edited by GEuser on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GEuser

Postby kickstart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:25 pm

GEuser wrote:
JetpackGrizzly wrote:What are you going to use 3D images with this game? How will you is a more appropiate question.

The 3D is more for convenience. What we'll end up using is a flat 2d of a front profile or whatever (sides, top/bottom or any angle). The whole point is once all the harrdwork is done with the 3D model we can easily make amendments like color, texture, perspective, animations. Can you imagine having to do a 2d image each time you needed to do a different angle perspecttive or animation? So it's basically a time saving ploy. And of course you can do all the lighting / shading adjustment more easiy too.

You could make an animation (sprite) that had many pictures of different views making it look like a 3-D object. That would look really cool considering the object is 3D.
kickstart

Postby skydereign » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 pm

JetpackGrizzly wrote:You could make an animation (sprite) that had many pictures of different views making it look like a 3-D object. That would look really cool considering the object is 3D.

We don't want to use different angles, because everything would then need to have different angles. And the amount of images we have to use explodes. The game will probably still have a 3d feel to it, but we don't want to simulate 3d beyond normal platformer techniques.
skydereign

Postby GEuser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:41 pm

JetpackGrizzly wrote:
GEuser wrote:

You could make an animation (sprite) that had many pictures of different views making it look like a 3-D object. That would look really cool considering the object is 3D.

Yep, that's how the demo was done. Blender can export each frame of animation as separate images. You just make them into a gE animation just like a sprite. Another cool thing is you don't have to keep inventing the wheel. For example, imagine the elevator laying on its back, you now have the base for a 360 degree turret. The rebellion could fix a cannon weapon to make use of the rotary motion. Re-adapting it would be easier with 3D model. I'd only have make the additional new bits and slightly change the look of existing parts for variety. Also this is why it's a good idea to be more thorough with your designs. That's to say make them part by part because you never know where else each part could be used. It's not just nuts and bolts that can be recycled. It would also make sense that the rebels would make efficient re-use of old parts or those acquired during raids, etc...
GEuser

Postby GEuser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:52 pm

@ sonicforvergame

Hi, for graphics I use basically same as Jag, all open source stuff (Gimp, Inkscape, blender, other open source stuff).

I like a lot of the ideas your throwing in. The acid idea is very interesting. I think, in game, it would be a resource gathered from the waste dumps deep underground (from waste products, battery acid, rotten meat / veg, industrial chemicals, sewage, blah, blah).

I can also imagine that this remote area (waste dump) would help to evolve some weird mutant creatures and humanoids. Things like every day vermin (rats, insects, etc...) that have adapted to life under extreme polluton conditions and genetically evolved (think of radioacttive materials down here too).

The creatues themselves could be a source of materials for weoponry & tools (think bodily parts, poisonuous fluids from corpse for poison darts, claws for blades, fats for greasing components, lubricants for hero faction's weapon smiths etc...).

Humanoid mutants could have resulted from humans who, for whatever reason, had been shunned / ostricised from main society and rebel groups, forcing them to seek refuge in unlikely remote deep underground regions surviving on rotten food & other produce from waste dumps. Leading a wretched existence but eventually thriving over time and mutating but no longer able to survive normal conditions (low pollution) because have biologically adapted to a toxic environment (from a game perspective this contains & limits these creatures to specific regions - convenient to not have them running around absolutely everywhere, although the ocassional invasion would add a bit of varity to the mix).

Different waste sites will have evolved different species of creatures/ humanoid mutants. The region would be useful for bio-fuel given off by waste refuse (bio-gases). The toxicity could vary, say low, high & extreme pollution zones, each having its own creatures and resources(gaseous, liquid & solid resources for power/fuel, poison, flammables, etc...). The high/extreme toxicity regions would require protection for more then very short stay visits so probably more economical to buy stuff initially until player because more skillful.
GEuser

Postby moonforge » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:14 am

I'm not so sure we really want to get into a 'mutant' kind of game. This is STEAMPUNK themed, not sci-fi. I think skydereign talked about this, and how we could have enemies that have acid weapons, but mutated acid people won't exactly fit with everything else that we're working out. We could, of course, have the acid a part of the game, but I don't think that it should be a MAJOR feature, but for one 'section' of the game, like Worlds in Mario. There could be a section of levels where you explore abandoned acid factory or something.
http://wannowandrichardsgames.weebly.com/

"You don't have to win to be a winner. You just have to pretend to be better than everyone else."

+ 1 please?
moonforge

Score: 8 Give a positive score

Postby GEuser » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:00 am

moonforge wrote:I'm not so sure we really want to get into a 'mutant' kind of game. This is STEAMPUNK themed, not sci-fi. I think skydereign talked about this, and how we could have enemies that have acid weapons, but mutated acid people won't exactly fit with everything else that we're working out. We could, of course, have the acid a part of the game, but I don't think that it should be a MAJOR feature, but for one 'section' of the game, like Worlds in Mario. There could be a section of levels where you explore abandoned acid factory or something.

No mutants then :(

=========================================================================================================
MAPPING SHEET

Now that we getting quite a few people contributing it might be a good idea to get a gist of the game world size. We can generalise without getting to much into specifics. We need to put some kind of constraints in order to get organised but loose enough for people to brainstorm freely.

The details should be enough for people to get a feeler for where things are, roughly, in the world. I've ceated a mapping sheet you can use to sketch out all your purposals for different zones, major infrastructures (Power facilities, industrial zones, rebel camp, various colonies, overlord guardian sites, Elevator shaft & stops, major sites, waste pipes, etc..).

I've created a mapping sheet of 50 x 50 grid size. Each box represents a standard gE window (640 x 480 or whatever the base size is going to be). You can fill it with colors or symbols. That's 2500 screens. More than enough for use to experiment with for now. Here it is (click to expand) :-

MappingSheet.png

Here's an example specimen (details just for demonstration):-

A quick illustration of screen configurations we can use to design major sites without going into too much details but have basic pixel sizes to sus out dimensions and all (click to expand) :-

ScreenConfigurations.png

Oh, also included the following blank Mapping sheet as a .pdf file that you can print out (fits A4 paper):-

MappingSheet.pdf
(17.93 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

=================================================================================
ELECTRONICS

On the electronics front I thought of vacuum tubes to fit in the victorian-eque look of things. They would form the more complex part of electronic based stuff, equivalent to our transistors. Like the images in this wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube

Also, done one from scratcch in Blender, it's only an initial attempt so needs loads off work. (click to expand) :-

VacuumTubeTest_000a.png
GEuser

Postby sonicforvergame » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:01 am

Sorry everybody i was out and didn't talk a lot since 2days ago
but here i see that there is a lot of update
now when i was out i have been working on a video that i will update soon please be patient
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Score: 10 Give a positive score

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Projects