January Tournament: 8-bit RETRO or NES style

Game Editor comments and discussion.

January Tournament: 8-bit RETRO or NES style

Postby NightOfHorror » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:06 am

Okay, this month obviously marks the beginning of a new year (even though it is still New Year's Eve where I live). I decided it would be fun to start off the new with a throwback to the old. The game you are create has to follow some requirements this time around:

- It must feel like an NES game (that means graphically, and the animations have to be suitable to an NES, audio has to be what NES can do).
- Edited: New rule to replace old, the game that is the smallest in download size gets an extra 5% added to its overall score.
- Must feel original (If I feel like I am playing a SMB 1, 2, 3 clone, get ready to lose, even if you are the only one participating)

GRADING RUBRIC:
Theme- x/10- how well does it follow the theme of this tournament? If the theme total is less than an average of five points, you are disqualified.
Originality- x/10- Is this a new game, or is the same one that we always play and see?
Creativity- x/10- Do they use the elements in this game to enhance game-play?
Title- x/10- If you saw the title of this game, would it make you want to read the back?
effect of the quantity of sound- x/5- Do they fit in with the graphics, story, and overall, sound good?
effect of the quantity of music- x/5- Do they fit in with theme, story, action, and overall, make the tempo of the game?
graphics- x/10- Do they appeal to you, do they fit in with the theme, are they a good fit to the story?
game-play- x/15- Is this something with replay value, is it addicting, is it something that is was worth playing?
overall- x/20- How do you feel about this game as a whole?
Judge Total- x/95- The judge grading this must add up the above total to get one grand Judge Total.
Judge Bonus- x/10- SNES (The bonus must enhance the game, if you just put it in, but it adds no value to the overall feeling towards the game, then the bonus will not count).

The deadline for these games will be at 11:59:59 p.m Central Time on January 21st, judge week is the 22nd to 28th, and the award ceremony because I know 4 will join will be the 29th and 30th.

If you want to be a judge, say so on this topic, or pm me, or if you see me on chat, you can tell me on there. Judges, do not release scores at all and do not judge until judge week.
Attachments
NES.jpg
Last edited by NightOfHorror on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Re: January Tournament: 8-bit RETRO or NES style

Postby NightOfHorror » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:08 am

Prizes:

1st place- 2015 championship pass and 2015 advantage pass, 1 point, (2 if 4 enter)
2nd place- (if 4 enter) 2015 championship pass, 1 point
3rd place- (if 4 enter) 1 point

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Postby Jagmaster » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Hey, I might consider this contest, sounds fun. I do like the nes ascetic overall, and would be a fun challenge to work around those artistic limits.

I got one teensy problem though...

NightOfHorror wrote:- ...you have to be able to compress your game into what an NES cartridge would hold, if my download is more than what an NES cartridge could handle, then it is...GAME OVER :P)

Perhaps I'm being a bit picky but I looked it up, and the largest total size for an official nes game (not including pirate carts) was 8 megabits (1 Megabyte). Most games were less than that even.

So, I went and created a blank project with one actor, and exported it, and that file size was 1.36 megabytes. That sort of makes it impossible to make an entire game within these limits.

Just sayin.

Perhaps you want to make a different file size limit?
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:43 am

hmm, I realized for one, I forgot to do a picture, so that will be fixed right away.

Also, I think I will have do a little more research. I know the size of the download of a cartridge doesn't exactly do the console justice. Technically, the NES was a cool console because it could improve itself over time, as in, the games themselves could use special chips to look like better 8-bit games than other 8-bit games.

Just don't know for sure, so I guess I will have to maybe think of a different limit to that. I just wanted a strict limit to test out your efficiency and resourcefulness.
NightOfHorror

Postby NightOfHorror » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:37 am

I am trying something out for bonus this year. It will still be a tie-breaker, but to add an incentive to actually put some stuff in it to get points for the bonus...

For every 2 bonus points, you get 1 point added to your overall score.
NightOfHorror

Postby lcl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Hmm.. this sounds interesting.
I may not be able to take part, due to the fact that I want to concentrate on my own project, but I'd be happy to be a judge.
I'm interested in seeing what people can come up with with these limitations :D
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:22 pm

You can indeed Mr. lcl
NightOfHorror

Postby Hares » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Like the theme :D

Count me in!

NightOfHorror wrote:- It must feel like an NES game (that means graphically, and the animations have to be suitable to an NES, audio has to be what NES can do).

Nes had an image resolution of 256x240. So I am going to make a game with that resolution.
And I will limit the number of colors used as much as possible.

NightOfHorror wrote:(... that means you have to be able to compress your game into what an NES cartridge would hold, if my download is more than what an NES cartridge could handle, then it is...GAME OVER )

If you consider that the cartridge only held the code and the images, but the game engine itself was on the NES mother board,
then you could say that the size of the ged file and the date folder cannot be bigger than the storage size on the NES cartridge - which is 1 Mb I think.
I will keep my ged and data folder under 1 Mb.

So who else is up to the challenge ... ?
Hares

Score: 14 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:47 am

I may have to remove the 1MB limit, and the limit altogether. :/
Don't know how to work around it, so I guess all the other limits are there except that one. Oh well. Still do your best to minimize space. The game that uses the least amount of space will get an extra 5% added to their Total score. (Keep in mind, if your game gets a low amount of points like 45/90, you only get an extra 2.25 points if I did the math right in my head). This will reward those who still make a great game, and do it with not much space used. :)
Also, due to my unresponsiveness, the deadline for this tournament shall be extended by 5 days, and we will just use some of February to judge these games.

Have fun, and good luck again. :D
NightOfHorror

Postby schnellboot » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:22 pm

NightOfHorror wrote:or if you see me on chat, you can tell me on there

chat?
schnellboot

Score: 102 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:38 am

schnellboot wrote:
NightOfHorror wrote:or if you see me on chat, you can tell me on there

chat?

http://webchat.esper.net/?nick=&channels=GameEditor
NightOfHorror

Postby Hares » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:40 pm

This month I did't have enough time or energy to finish my entry for the tournament. So I don't have anything to show at the moment.

I hope someone else enters with an awesome game.
Hares

Score: 14 Give a positive score

Postby Lacotemale » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:18 pm

Only saw this now. Bit late to enter I'd say! :D
Lacotemale

Score: 7 Give a positive score

Return to GE - General