Apple FAQ: iPad, iPhone, iPod, Mac HOWTO

Mac specific questions and discussion

Re: Apple FAQ: iPad, iPhone, iPod, Mac HOWTO

Postby needaname » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:24 am

sonicfire.Score++;

thanks for the tips, sent you a pm so please check!
needaname

Score: 4 Give a positive score

Postby sonicfire » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:18 pm

thanks! you got mail ;)
sonicfire

Score: 16 Give a positive score

Postby needaname » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:52 am

ok, so i got geapp working! now, how do i go about compiling the project so i can use the application loader? I see the compile, but it is greyed out. also, there is one warning about the armv6 and armv7, which may be why i cant click the compile. i cant find a way of including both of them, help?
needaname

Postby sonicfire » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:39 pm

needaname wrote:ok, so i got geapp working! now, how do i go about compiling the project so i can use the application loader? I see the compile, but it is greyed out. also, there is one warning about the armv6 and armv7, which may be why i cant click the compile. i cant find a way of including both of them, help?

had this warning too, apple just approved my app so it can´t be such a big deal?
sonicfire

Postby needaname » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:13 am

edit
the caps were different so i couldnt compile now its fixed!

so i cant compile my project. it build and run fine on xcode (well it could until i set it to distribution). builds with two errors but still wont let me compile it.

when i cleaned it i got three warnings.
warning: The Validate Built Product build setting was not enabled when building for Distribution.
warning: all apps should include an armv7 architecture (current ARCHS = "armv6").
Directory '/Users/needaname/Desktop/geapp_iphone/../SDLiPod/build/Release-iphoneos' Following -L not found

the first one i was told to set it that way
the second doesnt seem to matter
the last i dont know about

would those be the reason i cant compile?
needaname

Postby sonicfire » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:17 pm

mhh the last one , i´m unsure myself :?
sonicfire

Postby akr » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:37 am

You can delete the -L statement. This sets a searchpath which doesnt exist. My fault.
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Postby needaname » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:12 am

i dont think i deleted it but it disappeared so maybe it fixed itself when i redid something. anyways i think i get it now. thanks!
needaname

Postby aerbox » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:30 pm

ok guys, i saw at least one person had exactely the same problem then i do have now, and he did not get any response, so i try this again:
i run GE on a Mac (OS X6.6). When i EXPORT as MAC OS executable from GE, i get this what you call a binary file, which does nothing when i double click on it.
I read about this "chmod" thing, which, i have to guess, is to be typed in the TERMINAL, but it aint taking me anywhere either.
If it is not to much asked, could someone please post a propper reply? Something like a step by step explanation. Please nothing for nerds who don't have any problems 'caus they know it all. Please a reply to MY problem here. Whatever written in the FAQ, i did not make it work.
Thanx a lot.
( meanwhile i wonder why the export function is called MAC EXECUTABLE, if it realy executes nothing but my nerves ;) )
aerbox

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby needaname » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:35 am

i actually was having a similar problem as well. i tried to show someone my game and it wouldnt work. i could get it to run doing ./gameFile but when i sent it to him he couldnt do it.
needaname

Postby akr » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:54 am

Yes thats right. MacOSX exports are single binaries. They can be run from a console. First the executable flag must be set

chmod +x game
then you can run like

./game

To create a appbundle create a directory according to the Macosx guidelines and put your binary in the MACOS directory.
This can be startet from the panel and seen on desktop without console.
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Postby aerbox » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:45 am

IT REALLY helped---not.
OK, ok, so i got exactely the same response then in the FAQ...thanx a lot ;)
so the chmod command? i tried it, it did not work. Does the X in this command have to be replaced by the name of my game? Sorry, i tried an easy programm to build a game, but i get stuck on what i call obscurantism :).
I mean if people tell you they don't manage to do it, is it possible to be more precise.
I will now go and figure out how to create this what you call a directory according to Mac Os guidelines, Mac Os guidelines and Help forums being populated by even more obscurantistic people. Why can't people understand that not everybody was born with inbuild informatics capacities, and that in order do get on, we just need 1 Answer to 1 question, and not learn how it all works....
Tahnk yu anyway. Can you imagine how often i tried ths chmod thing? I guess not. It's just said, caus i found other bugs in the ge app, but i guess i won't have to tell anybody....it's free: thank you. for the moment i don't se why i should pay anything for it.
Tank you.
aerbox

Postby skydereign » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:01 am

First off, you must realize that the development team for gameEditor is composed of two people. One if them is currently taking a break.

The chmod works. It is a unix command. This is how you do it.
Code: Select all
chmod +x gameFile

gameFile is the file path to the game. If gameFile is in your home, then the above code will work. If not, you have to either cd into the directory, or do this (if it was in your Desktop).
chmod +x Desktop/gameFile

To run the file (I don't know how to create an app out of it yet), you have to use ./gameFile.
./gameFile

The previous again runs it if it is in your home, the below if it is in your Desktop.
./Desktop/gameFile

What bugs have you found in the geapp? I've worked with it and haven't found any problems. I have yet to look into creating mac apps, but for iphone development it is great.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby aerbox » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm

ok, many thanxs for the details, i'm gonna try this right away (desktop option), looks pretty complete as a description of what to do ;)
One thing i would call a bug is when i enter the code wndow, i cant leave that window anymore...maybe i've missed something, but for now now i'm forced to quit the app...
another one is: i use a gif animation for my main character. i use the same for "run left" and "run right", but when i run right, the character moves a lot faster (frame rate of the animation)...i set both directions to 7fps, all other settings seem identical too...

i've not played around a lot yet, since i was a little frustrated on not being able to preview my game...more comments sure to come, i want to finish this :)
Sorry for sounding harsh before, i am not a developper (yet, for a game maybe, if i get it done), and certainly not a programmer (though i see it might still be intersting to get some notions of a language..), so i dont use the "jargon" to explain my issues....
well, anyway, thanx again, and i'll leave you some time to reply next time ;)
aerbox

PreviousNext

Return to Mac