[GEWJ] - Time Loop

Talk about making games.

Re: [GEWJ] - Time Loop

Postby happyjustbecause » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:34 am

Just played this game :D

Heres my review!

1. Fun: 7 - It was pretty fun, I enjoyed the simple controls, and the overall feel of the game.
2. Ingenuity: 8 - The tight environments worked well with the game.
3. Theme: 6 - I only gave this a 6 because I didn't really see the theme come into play, I did run into the one guy who said something like "You will regret killing me", but I wasn't sure what exactly the consequence was, apparently all the people died, so I guess maybe that's connected? :)
4. Creativity: 8 - I liked the use of signs, the enemies, and destructible items/objects.
5. Graphics: 8 - I've always been a fan of really simple pixelated graphics, and the sprite sheet being all four enemy states is a great use of resources.
6. Audio: 1 - I don't think there were any sounds, it seems like it could work even nicer with sounds, but it didn't at all ruin the experience not having them.
7. Overall: 8 - Fun, with good potential, with such little time to create a game, this is a grand job.

Great job, I will definitely want to participate in the next one, I wasn't sure what to do with the theme of this one, so I didn't make a game. But perhaps the nearest one!
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:44 am

We wanted to add audio, but 3 days isn't long at all. Especially when all resources haven't been made. The only consequence in this version is if you kill a human, the next loop they are replaced by a zombie spawner. Of course if you could actually get hurt it'd be a little more convincing.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:15 am

skydereign wrote:We wanted to add audio, but 3 days isn't long at all. Especially when all resources haven't been made. The only consequence in this version is if you kill a human, the next loop they are replaced by a zombie spawner. Of course if you could actually get hurt it'd be a little more convincing.

Yeah, 3 days is a tough limit to compete, when having to make art and code, and finding/creating sounds is another task in a short amount of time. And now I see the consequence in the game. Was there any health for the player, or did I just not die?
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Hblade wrote:Seems cool, but the level wasn't developing right or something. Couldn't get pass the sign that said "press Space to jump", just falling into empty void after that.

Happens to me, too :(
Can someone help me to get it to work or give a working file or something? I'm very interested to try this! =D
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:53 pm

It still happens? That's odd, I thought I worked around that. Try pressing r after the game loads. That causes the loop to happen, and it should reload the map properly. The quick fix I did to get the game up on time was to have a timer reload the level, so perhaps if the timer was too short it still messes up. And there was no hp, was going to add it but we didn't end up having an hp bar, so I decided to leave it out.
skydereign

Postby jimmynewguy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:59 am

I pressed r to reload and got this
untitled.PNG

And when I go through the first door it sometimes puts me inside the wall, and the second sends me in to the oblivion. :( Seems like a very interesting concept though
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Score: 89 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:24 am

Yeah I see what you mean. Just tried it out on a windows machine. The file doesn't read in all of the tiles in room -1 (in the game and the map creator versions). As for the flying, that was a bug caused by gE's updating of xvelocity and yvelocity based off the change of position. It was something that didn't happen in the editor, but I managed to fix it by using MoveTo for the door moving (but it seems windows still suffers from it). Weird thing is that it works fine on mac and linux, after all, the files used are the same. You'll notice I used a .dat file so every os is running the same game file, and loading from the same map file. If I had more time I'd look into it and hopefully provide a fix, but I'll be tied up with school for the next week. I'll post a fixed version after that. Sorry for the inconvenience.
skydereign

Previous

Return to Game Development